van-width coachbuilt up to 6.3m long camper?

gasgas

We hope to go to the NEC show and to prepare ourselves and save unnecessary exercise (always best avoided) can people suggest any coachbuilts which are the same width as the cab? I know of Swift Rio, but are there any others? I want something to use as a second car but big enough for two people to actually use to go on holiday. So no tiddly car derived van conversions. (though I perfectly accept that they have their place, I would get claustrophobic).

Why not buy a panel van conversion then? Models come in 5.5metres, 6.0metres and 6.3mtre lengths.You will substantially reduce the risk of water ingress/damp issues and as these are now in high demand they command high trade in prices. My old Autosleeper Duetto for example lost me £3000 in 7 years of ownership.

Elddis and Bailey do them.

For home and leisure use, I'd go for a panel van conversion [not the same as a camper van]. They don't stand out as much as the big white box coachbuilts - unless you go for the top of the range Adria or IH! Insulation may not be as good as a top notch coachbuilt but good enough for most UK winter camping. They will be more practical for every day use. Auto Sleeper make good PVCs and have done for many years. Auto Trail and Autocruise also mass produce UK PVCs. There are also several bespoke PVC builders who would tailor the design to your needs. Continental built PVCs are common. You will just have more choice with a PVC than a narrow coachbuilt. Get a rear single beds version, and you'll lessen the risk of claustrophobia. And PVCs are the same width as a Swift Rio but have a great opening side door.

If you go into A-class territory, then the cab is the same width as the body. Some manufacturers do narrow A-classes such as Hymer's Exsis. Hymer is not at the NEC, you will have to go to Travelworld's Hymer show at Telford to see them or another Hymer dealer.

There are some so called narrow coach built vans on the market but as we found out when we looked into it most still use the very wide Fait mirrors which rather defeats the object. We went down the PVC route with an AutoSleeper Warrick XL. Tasty bit of kit but near the top,end of the price range. It does have Class 3 insulation but they only managed to get this by fitting a wacking great heater!

gasgas - 2015-02-07 11:13 AM

We hope to go to the NEC show and to prepare ourselves and save unnecessary exercise (always best avoided) can people suggest any coachbuilts which are the same width as the cab? I know of Swift Rio, but are there any others? I want something to use as a second car but big enough for two people to actually use to go on holiday. So no tiddly car derived van conversions. (though I perfectly accept that they have their place, I would get claustrophobic).

Suggest you invest in the latest (March 2015) issue of MMM magazine that comes with a separate 2015 Buyers Guide supplement.

This provides length/width/height dimensions of currently available panel-van and coachbuilt motorhomes and, while the width dimension in some cases seems questionable (perhaps because a ‘mirrors included’ width is given) it’s simple enough to spot narrower-than-average coachbuilt models using the MMM listing.

I don’t think there is any current coachbuilt motorhome that is no wider than the cab section of the chassis it’s built on, but some come close. A Ducato X290 panel-van’s width is normally stated as 2.05m and the stated width of a few Ducato X290-based coachbuilt models is within 10cm of that (ie. 2.15m or less).

As you also have a length limit (and very likely a price limit and layout preferences) it will be better for you to look at the MMM supplement than me to provide an extract.

Coachbuilt motorhomes generally offer better insulation and more practical interior space/room than PVC conversions, but for the most part are at least 4-8 inches wider. I think that you wil find the Swift Rio comes into this category. As has also been commented - check out the wing mirrors also.

I have the original "Hymer Exsis" ceased production 2006 chosen simply because it IS narrow and short so is very manoeuvrable and parkable - never found an affordable suitable replacement - as most of us original long term owners will attest to.( we have our own forum for self help and experience)

There are some only slightly wider than aPVC, hopefully someone more knowledgable than me of the market will post and advise - Hymer/ Wingaam but high price tags. Generally coach builds tend to be 2.25- 2.35m width.

Best wishes for finding you right model

Fred

Carthago do a Compactlime range, with the 138 model being 6.40 m long and 2.12 wide similar to Hymer Exsis.

large rear bed, huge garage, large drop down bed of over cab, light weight......no oven, small kitchen, but upmarket, well built A-class with double floor etc........not cheap!

Be careful to compare like with like. The width of a Ducato/Boxer/Relay is 2050mm excluding mirrors but a lot of coachbuilt manufacturers quote the width of the body and exclude things like wheel arches! If you look at the small print for Carthago (just using them as an example) there is a note warning you to add 100 or 130mm for wheel arches meaning that their Compact range is in fact 2220mm wide. I think Hymer have a similar policy.

Still narrower than most, but something to be aware of.

Peter

Archived