Mount Spare Wheel to rear of van

Greynomad

Please can anyone direct me to or, recommend a firm that can supply a Posh Case to hold the Spare Wheel of a Renault Master, that can be mounted to the exterior of one of the rear doors, such as can be frequently seen on the rear of 4 x 4 vehicles? It will be for a 2007 model year, due in December 2006 / January 2007. My new motorhome supplying manufacturer do not provide a dedicated Spare position, in fact, they only usually supply a can of sealant - but will provide the actual Spare, if requested. With thanks. Chris

[QUOTE]Greynomad - 2006-10-05 6:53 PM Please can anyone direct me to or, recommend a firm that can supply a Posh Case to hold the Spare Wheel of a Renault Master, that can be mounted to the exterior of one of the rear doors, such as can be frequently seen on the rear of 4 x 4 vehicles? It will be for a 2007 model year, due in December 2006 / January 2007. My new motorhome supplying manufacturer do not provide a dedicated Spare position, in fact, they only usually supply a can of sealant - but will provide the actual Spare, if requested. With thanks. Chris[/QUOTE] Chris, Mel Eastburn over came this problem by having his tyres sealed. He will most likely pick this one up sometime. Dom

Thanks Don. I received an email from Ray Monteith-Smith of Desert Detours, on the subject of carrying a Spare. By coincidence he started of with "Got your details from not sure where.......Don Madge?" - It originated from a PM I sent to someone else who said that they had been on one of his Morocco adventures but, YOU get the blame for everything!!! To quote Ray "Better that you have a spare anywhere outside the UK. Tyres are VERY expensive for MHomes. On our tours we would carry your spare in the support vehicle/trailer." Whether or, not I decide to go 'off-road' in the desert, I do not feel relaxed about driving around without a Spare Wheel - incidents may not be limited to just a puncture, hitting a kerb/stone/obstacle can damage the rim, presumably, thats why it is called a Spare Wheel (not tyre). May I leave my original question posted on the forum, as I would like to keep my options open, concerning a nice looking way to mount the Spare on the rear door. Regards, Chris

[QUOTE]Greynomad - 2006-10-05 8:36 PM Thanks Don. I received an email from Ray Monteith-Smith of Desert Detours, on the subject of carrying a Spare. By coincidence he started of with "Got your details from not sure where.......Don Madge?" - It originated from a PM I sent to someone else who said that they had been on one of his Morocco adventures but, YOU get the blame for everything!!! To quote Ray "Better that you have a spare anywhere outside the UK. Tyres are VERY expensive for MHomes. On our tours we would carry your spare in the support vehicle/trailer." Whether or, not I decide to go 'off-road' in the desert, I do not feel relaxed about driving around without a Spare Wheel - incidents may not be limited to just a puncture, hitting a kerb/stone/obstacle can damage the rim, presumably, thats why it is called a Spare Wheel (not tyre). May I leave my original question posted on the forum, as I would like to keep my options open, concerning a nice looking way to mount the Spare on the rear door. Regards, Chris[/QUOTE] Chris, I'm not with you I'm afraid, all I stated was what Mel had done to save carrying a spare wheel, personally I would not rely on the system.. I have been driving a lot longer than than most on this forum and no way would I ever be without a spare wheel, Ray is quite right about rims being damaged and they would be expensive to replace in remote places. Regards Don

Many, Many thanks to Tonyishuk. This is exactly the contact website I needed, I have printed their 'home-page' and can contact them, by 'phone to ask if they also provide the actual wheel-mounting bracket, as well as the covers. Once again, this forum invariably provides invaluable information. Chris

I carry, but have never needed to use a spare wheel for many years. I have 'Tyre-safe' installed in one vehicles tyres, and 'Tyre-safe' in the other. Instantly repairs a puncture for the life of the tyre. recomended by mobility. I believe Mel E has had it installed by a third company.

We have now driven 14,000 miles through 12 European countries without a spare wheel. My view is as follows: 1. In a van conversion, the spare is very heavy, takes up important space and increases mpg (because of the weight). 2. The injection system I used has been tested for 40,000 miles and speeds my van would never reach, even on a race track. 3. I should therefore only have a problem if I wreck a tyre. If I do so, I have to buy another one whether I carry a spare or not. Van tyres are cheaper throughout most of Continental Europe than they are in the UK. Any call-out will be covered by my pan-EU recovery included in my insurance. 4. If I wreck a wheel, exactly the same applies: I need a new wheel whether I carry a spare or not. Again, spare prices are lower in most of the rest of the EU. I have ordinary steel wheels and there are Renault dealers throughout Europe, so sourcing one should not be a big problem. And if the cost is enormous, I will simply claim on my insurance - isn't that why we pay premiums? The point is that I pay for a new wheel whether I carry a spare or not. 5. However, if I elect to drive to countries with less infrastructure and poor roads e.g. the Sahara, then I would of course take at least one spare and probably two. It would be foolish not to.

Archived