Solar panel charging

Pete-B

Solar panel charging  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,

I've got a new Besacarr E462 on order which is due for delivery May/June time. I know Swift fit a smart charger which is supposed to monitor both batteries whilst on charge, either mains or solar, if a panel is fitted.

The company who are going to fit the solar panel say they will also fit a Battery Master which does the same thing as the smart charger but better. My question is, does anyone know why the Battery Master is better and also will it conflict with the fitted Swift charger which will I guess will be in use when on mains hookup?

Thanks for any help for a lecky numpty.

Unless you are off-grid and a heavy user of power (inverter etc.) when using your van then you will not need anything extra fitted.

Some additions (like a B2b system) can clash with manufacturer fitted systems, so do your homework. The Battery Master may be fine, I don't know for certain as I have never loaded my van with extras. We manage fine with a Solar Panel, with the luxury of a second panel I can setup for winter and bad weather occasions.

It might help if you say how you normally use the van and what your power requirements are.

the Sargent PSU is prewired to take a solar panel connection upto 100w.

the prewiring should terminate in one of the roof lockers (tho positions change with different models) where it can be connected to the panel via a gland and the regulator.

this other end of the wiring goes into P14 socket in the rear of the PSU and this then allows a degree of control over the charging regime.....bias towards leisure, bias towards cab battery, smart bias based on charge levels. this is set up in the PSU control window, easy once you've has a play......

you will not need a battery master,(agree with Lenny, dont pay for it) just ensure the panel is connected via a regulator to the prepared prewiring.......everything else is already done.

of you need more info on location of the wiring (ours was in the locker above and immediately behind the drivers seat) post a question on SwiftTalk and Sargent will answer pretty quickly, or call them directly, they are helpful.

Pete-B - 2015-02-09 2:07 PM

Thank you all for the replies which are all noted and I will go with the general advice and not have the Battery Master fitted.

I would say that is the wrong decision. We have a battery master fitted along with a solar panel. The batteries just look after themselves. In five years the only problem I have had was when there was a foot of snow on the roof whilst the an was in storage, the sun could not get through to the solar panel and all three atteries ran down. I just cleared the snow off the panel and the following week all batteries were back to normal.

Archived