Near side Wing Mirror and Bracket

milpol1

OK been out today in the Rapido 9009dfh and unfortunately clipped a tree on near side taking off completely the wing mirror housing and bracket, severing the electric cable, lucky that it didnt rip the panel, so obviously looking to replace said mirror, bracket etc.

Anybody point me in the right direction. Its a 2009 Rapido 9009DFH.

Thanks for help.

Dave

Guest Had Enough
milpol1 - 2015-02-08 3:29 PM

OK been out today in the Rapido 9009dfh and unfortunately clipped a tree on near side taking off completely the wing mirror housing and bracket, severing the electric cable, lucky that it didnt rip the panel, so obviously looking to replace said mirror, bracket etc.

Anybody point me in the right direction. Its a 2009 Rapido 9009DFH.

Thanks for help.

Dave

I was going to suggest one of the popular wing mirror companies such as Wingmirrorman, but I think that you've got an A Class, which sheds a different light on it.

Real experts such as Derek Uzzell may be along soon but in the meantime I think you're looking at UK Rapido dealers, such as Wokingham or Brownhills.

...as per my post referenced by Derek above, I'd take a deep breath before inquiring about the replacement cost through the motorhome trade.

When I did my research a few years ago, it was obvious that some of the mirrors were (or at least it appeared were) fitted to buses and coaches.

This being the case, if you can identify the make and model it might be worthwhile pursuing a replacement through that industry.

If the mirrors are still RBE ones, for instance, the company below show a number in their catalogue (including some similar to the Rapido), and are patently used to dealing with motorhome owners for replacement windscreens:

http://www.carlylebusandcoach.com/about-us.php

Why not repair it?

My offside mirror hit a post, glass intact but the casting inside the mirror that everything is bolted to, was broken into three pieces.

Quote from a Fiat main dealer for the passenger side mirror on a LHD 2006 mark 2 Ducato (two electric motors, heated mirrors and radio aerial) - about £260 plus VAT .

Having just repaired laptop hinges and a metal garden table with 'Araldite Liquid Steel', I thought I would attempt a repair. It took me a weekend.

I have since been to the South of France and back and everything is fine, solid as a rock; motors work, etc. If anyone is interested I will post photos.

The mirrors on a 2009 Rapido 9009dfh are as shown in this advert

http://www.motorhomesnottinghamshire.co.uk/used-motorhome-rapido-9009dfh-motorhome-1113.htm

It may be a lot more difficult to satisfactorily repair this type of mirror if it’s badly damaged as opposed to the standard Fiat type. You don’t say what make/model of motorhome you own (and I think you may never have said), but the £260+VAT quote suggests it has ‘standard’ mirrors not ‘bus type’.

As you’ve suggested, if Dave’s mirror can be repaired it’s likely to be MUCH cheaper to do this than replace it.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-02-09 2:03 PM

The mirrors on a 2009 Rapido 9009dfh are as shown in this advert

http://www.motorhomesnottinghamshire.co.uk/used-motorhome-rapido-9009dfh-motorhome-1113.htm

It may be a lot more difficult to satisfactorily repair this type of mirror if it’s badly damaged as opposed to the standard Fiat type. You don’t say what make/model of motorhome you own (and I think you may never have said), but the £260+VAT quote suggests it has ‘standard’ mirrors not ‘bus type’.

As you’ve suggested, if Dave’s mirror can be repaired it’s likely to be MUCH cheaper to do this than replace it.

As stated in my post, the quote was for a standard mirror, Ducato 2006 mk2, LHD; that was expensive enough but for a bus type mirror it will probably be an arm and several legs.

It depends on the damage to the original poster's mirror, but the plastic housing can be repaired, likewise the internals. A modicum of do it yourself skills are required and a torx head screwdriver and bits, but it is doable and saves the aggravation of trying to source what will be an expensive part.

jb6981 - 2015-02-09 12:29 PM

Why not repair it?

My offside mirror hit a post, glass intact but the casting inside the mirror that everything is bolted to, was broken into three pieces.

Quote from a Fiat main dealer for the passenger side mirror on a LHD 2006 mark 2 Ducato (two electric motors, heated mirrors and radio aerial) - about £260 plus VAT .

Having just repaired laptop hinges and a metal garden table with 'Araldite Liquid Steel', I thought I would attempt a repair. It took me a weekend.

Love to see it

I have since been to the South of France and back and everything is fine, solid as a rock; motors work, etc. If anyone is interested I will post photos.

Quote from MotorhomeFun October 2013:

"Anyone out there had to replace Rapido 9048df n/side mirror and the cover with repeater indicator?

Brown hills state can only supply complete assembly for the princely sum of £1800!!!!

All we need is the glass and front cover, not most of the motorhomes!!!!"

Looks like the same, or very similar, mirror as the 9009DFH.

Archived