Can i get mot done for uk van in europe

dorothyblandford

If you look at "gov.uk", taking a vehicle out of the UK for more than 12 months is classed as permanent export, you have to send your documents back to the DVLA.

Many years ago the criminals hiding in Spain used to have identical cars in the UK and at their hideaway, same registration number, so taxed and MOT' d in the UK.

dorothyblandford - 2015-02-08 6:22 PM

We are thinking of travelling Europe for about two years. The mot on our van will expire while we are travelling. Do we need to come back to the uk to have the mot done?

Don't forget you can get your MOT done any time, so you could get one done immediately before you leave the UK giving you a full year to plan to be able to be back in the UK to get another one done. You could then go back for the second year.

You don't have to wait for it to expire.

The only issue is that because you are having it done so early (ie more than a month before the old one expires) you don't preserve the old expiry date.

It expires a year after it's done and not up to 13 months after.

Southender - 2015-02-09 11:04 AM

sshortcircuit - 2015-02-08 6:24 PM

Yes.

Is that a definate yes or a possible yes or a maybe yes ?

I don`t think that was the answer the op wanted.

After my first post I realised there was a question in the heading and one in the post resulting in my second post.

I trust it is clear now that mot can only be done in the uk as others have pointed out. Also other complications.

If, as the OP indicated, you wanted to wander Europe (and/or elsewhere abroad) for a period of over a year, so your MOT would be bound to expire, as would your road tax, DVLA would doubtless tell you that you must therefore return to UK to have the vehicle tested as well as renew the road tax and maintain continuous insurance.

But you will certainly not be picked up on ANPR cameras in UK while you are abroad and nor are foreign police likely to take any interest in either your UK road tax status or whether you have an in-date UK MOT. (Likewise I suspect there is unlikely to be any reliable system of surveillance for checking that all the Polish cars being driven in UK are currently taxed and MOT'd as Polish vehicles are presumably required to be, or even whether they have been in UK for over 6 months and are therefore should have been registered with DVLA as imports into UK and road tax, MOT and VAT paid etc.)

Rather than come back to UK in your motorhome for an MOT test and keep up your UK road tax, it would be much simlper to declare SORN on the vehicle over the internet as you leave UK (getting a refund of the remainder of your road tax as you do so and getting DVLA off your back as far as continuous insurance etc is concerned) and, a few days before you return to UK, make an appointment with an MOT Test Station for the day you come back to UK, which would make your journey from the port of re-entry legal too!

nowtelse2do - 2015-02-09 1:51 PM

If there is no Mot or insurance on the vehicle then it can't be taxed even if it was sorned.

Dave

....and, for many of the common motorhome insurance policies, lack of a current MOT and/or RFL will invalidate your insurance.

Robinhood - 2015-02-09 2:15 PM

If there is no Mot or insurance on the vehicle then it can't be taxed even if it was sorned.

Dave

....and, for many of the common motorhome insurance policies, lack of a current MOT and/or RFL will invalidate your insurance.

However your insurance company is still required to pay out a claim to a third party. The bit that is normally invalidated are the other parts, fire, theft and of course Comprehensive cover covering damage to your own vehicle.

MJG - 2015-02-09 2:25 PM

Robinhood - 2015-02-09 2:15 PM

Dave

However your insurance company is still required to pay out a claim to a third party. The bit that is normally invalidated are the other parts, fire, theft and of course Comprehensive cover covering damage to your own vehicle.

I would not want to chance that. I doubt if the insurers would pay out, as Technically the van should not be on the without the requirements of the country in which the van is registered, that is why we are supposed to take the originals of MOT/Ins/ and reg doc., when going abroad. I take origanals and a copy of all documents.

PJay

...in this country that is undoubtedly true, and I have posted fairly recently to that effect.

Since, however, that is a requirement of domestic legislation (under the RTA and by agreement of the Motor Insurer's Bureau), I wouldn't like to assume that the same applies for overseas use of a vehicle (since the RTA patently doesn't apply abroad).

Robinhood - 2015-02-09 2:39 PM

...in this country that is undoubtedly true, and I have posted fairly recently to that effect.

Since, however, that is a requirement of domestic legislation (under the RTA and by agreement of the Motor Insurer's Bureau), I wouldn't like to assume that the same applies for overseas use of a vehicle (since the RTA patently doesn't apply abroad).

Hopefully the OP wont become a test case for that.

As far as I am aware that hasn't been tested so it's difficult to say either way. I do think though that an insurance company would have difficulty not paying out to a third party simply because the policy holder didn't have a valid MOT for their vehicle, particularly when no MOT testable item failed and caused the accident.. even a third party in a foreign country.

This from the MIB would seem to indicate that legally cover offered in the EU has to confirm at least to the minimum level of cover for the EU coutry you are driving in.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Customer+Services/en/General+Cross+Border+Information/FAQs+Green+Card.htm

MJG - 2015-02-09 3:01 PM

Hopefully the OP wont become a test case for that.

As far as I am aware that hasn't been tested so it's difficult to say either way. I do think though that an insurance company would have difficulty not paying out to a third party simply because the policy holder didn't have a valid MOT for their vehicle, particularly when no MOT testable item failed and caused the accident.. even a third party in a foreign country. Besides isn't that what the whole green 'card' thing is about - effectively extending third party cover to other countries.

....I simply don't know what would happen - and wouldn't want to be a test case myself ;-).

I do know that my previous contract of insurance would be unenforceable if I hadn't got an MOT - since it was a condition, and that my current provider only insures on a long-term touring basis if the vehicle has at all times both a current MOT and RFL.

The third-party Continental insurance is normally worded to the effect that it covers the compulsory third-party requirements of the various countries, and I have no idea what they are. I certainly wouldn't like to assume that they have similar third-party provision as enforced by the RTA in the UK, and wouldn't be at all surprised to find that invalidated insurance also removed all elements of third-party cover.

Far better not to be in a position to find out. :-)

Robinhood - 2015-02-09 3:17 PM

and wouldn't be at all surprised to find that invalidated insurance also removed all elements of third-party cover.

Far better not to be in a position to find out. :-)

I would be surprised to be honest, but yes I agree I wouldn't want to be in a position of finding out.

Ironic, is it not, that while free movement of people (and arguably therefore their vehicles) is supposed to be a fundamental and inalienable feature of the EU, your freedom to wander around Europe in a motorhome is limited by vehicle taxation and licensing legislation which has failed to keep pace.

We have a EU-wide system of homologation of vehicles (and now of trailers) so why can't we have a system of vehicle registration, servicability checks and road taxation which is compatible with EU mobility?

Archived