Can i get mot done for uk van in europe

dorothyblandford

StuartO - 2015-02-09 3:22 PM

Ironic, is it not, that while free movement of people (and arguably therefore their vehicles) is supposed to be a fundamental and inalienable feature of the EU, your freedom to wander around Europe in a motorhome is limited by vehicle taxation and licensing legislation which has failed to keep pace.

We have a EU-wide system of homologation of vehicles (and now of trailers) so why can't we have a system of vehicle registration, servicability checks and road taxation which is compatible with EU mobility?

Because the UKIPpers would complain about the EU interfering.

Billggski - 2015-02-09 3:35 PM

I suppose because so few people do it. The local Polish workers have all registered their cars in the UK and taken out UK insurance. I know because my strimmer sent a stone through the side window of one, and it was dealt with through a UK firm.

In which case they would have UK registration numbers and they would also have had to convert the headights to left dipping, which would usually mean (expensively) replacing with UK spec headlight units. I'm referring to all the cars which still have Polish plates. I doubt they are on UK policies.

nowtelse2do - 2015-02-09 4:43 PM

So what's the best advice?

I think you would have to make it so tax, mot and insurance all came due in a certain month, then come back to the UK for a short holiday.

Dave

The MOT is the only thing out of those that requires a physical presence in the UK. The others can be renewed online. Especially as you don't need to display a tax disc anymore :-)

neilmac - 2015-02-09 4:49 PM

The MOT is the only thing out of those that requires a physical presence in the UK. The others can be renewed online. Especially as you don't need to display a tax disc anymore :-)

....true. But the original query was about the MOT, and you can't tax the vehicle online without a current MOT (where the age of the vehicle requires one).

A point which may or may not be relevant and which I know because I checked with the DVSA is that if you have a "new" vehicle coming up for its first MOT on the third anniversary of registration you can elect to have that MOT done at any time on or before that anniversary. For example If the MOT is due on 1st April 2015 you can MOT on 15th March 2015. As regards your FIRST MOT expiry date it will always be after one year after first test, i.e. 15th ? March 2016. As already commented there is some flexibility to forward date subsequent test certificates but not the first.

From a social/personal point of view two years is a long time and Europe is a (relatively) small place. Personally I would plan to return at some point during the two year adventure.

dorothyblandford - 2015-02-08 6:22 PM

We are thinking of travelling Europe for about two years. The mot on our van will expire while we are travelling. Do we need to come back to the uk to have the mot done?

Hi Dorothy, welcome to the nut house!

MOT - this can ONLY be done in the UK so you would need to come back to have it done. Tax can be renewed on line and insurance can be done without you being in the UK too.

As regards the suggestions not to bother and only get the MOT done when you come back after 2 years that is a very unwise thing to do IMV, a vehicle MUST be legal in it's registered country to be used abroad, and not having a current MOT and therefore no tax either, means that you would not be legal in the UK and hence not abroad either. There is also the 'exporting' definition too which has been mentioned for vehicles out of the UK for a period of time.

I certainly would NOT want to risk not being insured in case I needed to claim because I was using my MH abroad when it would not be legal to use it in the UK ... if the insurers can wriggle out of paying up you can be sure they would!

As an aside to this, have you considered your standing regarding the NHS/GP etc ... once you are out of the country for a long time you inn effect have 'deregistered' yourself and this in itself can have implications.

Archived