Continental vans - habitation doors on the 'wrong side'

MJG

StuartO - 2015-02-09 7:09 PM

A Jack Russel. All that inbred aggression and tiny little legs. Little Man Syndrome. What did you expect! :-D

Yes, but I don't think its me on testosterone overload.

No worries as far as I am concerned seen much the same (and worse) on many other Internet forums.

The main problem we have had is in Supermarket Car parks. We tend to find enough space at the furthest point from the store entrance but I think our van is magnetic. Within minutes, cars have parked either side of us and we can be hemmed in. A bit worrying if there is a 2 hour time limit on parking. :-(

I worry about getting boxed in too, because we have to park longways, across about 3 spaces. That way be occupy less spaces than any other way - but it does mean folk could block you in silly by parking in the spaces at either end. We once stopped in a completely empty, far end section of a French supermarket car park and within a minute, with litterally dozens of other, better places available, a French girl drove in and parked in the space ahead, right under our bonnet.

Nothing to do with which side the habitation door was on that day of course; I think she was just being giggly silly, for the benefit of her mate. But you might be offending local sensitivities of some sort. And individuals can be jealous of big motorhomes, which they can't afford themselves, in "their" supermarket car park. I now try to park at the end of a row or somewhere else where I cannot easily be deliberately blocked in if possible, in case someone else takes the opportunity to play silly beggars..

747 - 2015-02-09 6:37 PM

Well HE, I came to your defence on your dashcam thread but now I take it all back. You are still the same old bad mannered argumentative irritant that you have always been. >:-(

It is YOU who has brought discord to this thread with your arrogant attitude to other members. You have no sense of humour and no sense of when to shutup and let a post go. You have to jump in with a knee jerk reaction.

For your information, I was a CC and a C&CC member and used a lot of Sites when still working (around the UK). I WAS given instructions of where and how to park a number of times. This was in a British made van and then a European van. I was chastised after turning my van round on a half empty Club Site because the raindrops from the very tall trees we were parked under were thunderous when they hit my rooflight.

Just last year I was given silly and officious instructions from THS Wardens. Granted, they are not full time C&CC Officials, just over enthusiastic amateurs but it still happens, maybe not as often but it happens.

Well I will come to his defence this time, what has he said here that is so wrong. I reckon he is about right, most camp site people are fine, I to have never been told to turn my van around on any site and would ignore it anyway if I was.

StuartO - 2015-02-09 7:42 PM

I worry about getting boxed in too, because we have to park longways, across about 3 spaces. That way be occupy less spaces than any other way - but it does mean folk could block you in silly by parking in the spaces at either end. We once stopped in a completely empty, far end section of a French supermarket car park and within a minute, with litterally dozens of other, better places available, a French girl drove in and parked in the space ahead, right under our bonnet.

Nothing to do with which side the habitation door was on that day of course; I think she was just being giggly silly, for the benefit of her mate. But you might be offending local sensitivities of some sort. And individuals can be jealous of big motorhomes, which they can't afford themselves, in "their" supermarket car park. I now try to park at the end of a row or somewhere else where I cannot easily be deliberately blocked in if possible, in case someone else takes the opportunity to play silly beggars..

I could be missing something here. But when I see Motorhomes parked in supermarket car parks they normally park longitudinally along two back to back parking spaces. Why would you park along three spaces?

Guest Had Enough
747 - 2015-02-09 6:37 PM

Well HE, I came to your defence on your dashcam thread but now I take it all back. You are still the same old bad mannered argumentative irritant that you have always been. >:-(

It is YOU who has brought discord to this thread with your arrogant attitude to other members. You have no sense of humour and no sense of when to shutup and let a post go. You have to jump in with a knee jerk reaction.

For your information, I was a CC and a C&CC member and used a lot of Sites when still working (around the UK). I WAS given instructions of where and how to park a number of times. This was in a British made van and then a European van. I was chastised after turning my van round on a half empty Club Site because the raindrops from the very tall trees we were parked under were thunderous when they hit my rooflight.

Just last year I was given silly and officious instructions from THS Wardens. Granted, they are not full time C&CC Officials, just over enthusiastic amateurs but it still happens, maybe not as often but it happens.

You have a nerve.You're the one who disrupted the thread when you couldn't resist a snide little attack on site wardens.

And I have to jump in with a knee jerk reaction? Is that a bit like Lennyhb's row of smileys after your nasty little posting about wardens? He loves it if anyone slags off site wardens.

I speak as I find. I have never had a problem with wardens but I'm talking about CC wardens, the one that he claims are all despicable little Hitlers.

I've also never met any who are arseholes either, as you so charmingly describe them. Most of them are just decent blokes trying to deal with some very demanding and unreasonable people.

Why do people like you describe them as arseholes, or despicable Hitlers? You're unreasonable, unfair and unpleasant and you wonder why some of them react to you.

And you telling me about disrupting a thread is hilarious. You were one of the gang that deliberately set out to troll this and other sites and to try to belittle and humiliate as many people as you could.

You can go now and get a few of your Fruitcake mates to visit again now and have another go. You do seem to descend in a little gangs to back each other up. You've an arrogant and superior manner and like many of your chums think you're better than the average motorhomer.

I've got news for you, you're not. And if you feel free to slag off wardens, I'll feel free to defend them. If you don't like it go back to Fruitcakes or wherever you live these day.

Guest Had Enough
rupert123 - 2015-02-09 10:10 PM

Well I will come to his defence this time, what has he said here that is so wrong. I reckon he is about right, most camp site people are fine, I to have never been told to turn my van around on any site and would ignore it anyway if I was.

Yes, as you say, most camp site people are fine and most of them react as to how they're dealt with, but when you have some who describe them as arseholes or despicable little Hitlers, it makes you wonder how they approach the wardens in the first place.

What amazes me is that they drive to a campsite having to follow dozens of rules of the road, rules of driving, rules of running a vehicle, but when they're asked to follow a simple rule on a site, a rule that's usually in place for a good reason, they go to pieces and can't cope and come on forums talking about regimentation. Give us a break for God's sake.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2015-02-09 11:02 PM

rupert123 - 2015-02-09 10:10 PM

Yes, as you say, most camp site people are fine and most of them react as to how they're dealt with, but when you have some who describe them as arseholes or despicable little Hitlers, it makes you wonder how they approach the wardens in the first place.

What amazes me is that they drive to a campsite having to follow dozens of rules of the road, rules of driving, rules of running a vehicle, but when they're asked to follow a simple rule on a site, a rule that's usually in place for a good reason, they go to pieces and can't cope and come on forums talking about regimentation. Give us a break for God's sake.

Having been told to turn our camper around even though I was facing an empty pitch *-) ..............I complied, and what should pitch on that pitch?...........a continental caravan (lol) ........

Furthermore we had an interesting conversation with some CC wardens who were only on here for two nights...........as they hadn't booked :D .................and they were saying the CC had acknowledged they had a problem with the officiousness of some of their wardens ;-) ..........

So maybe that's also not a myth >:-) .........

MJG - 2015-02-09 10:13 PM

I could be missing something here. But when I see Motorhomes parked in supermarket car parks they normally park longitudinally along two back to back parking spaces. Why would you park along three spaces?

Ours is 7 metres long and significantly wider than a single car parking space, so although we can park aligned with the long axis of the parking paces for cars, we need to find two rows back to back and we also overlap sideways, so we impact on four spaces. If on the other hand we look for a single row of spaces and park across them, we only impact on three.

If we have the trailer on the back we probably impact on five or six!

StuartO - 2015-02-10 3:55 PM

Ours is 7 metres long and significantly wider than a single car parking space, so although we can park aligned with the long axis of the parking paces for cars, we need to find two rows back to back and we also overlap sideways, so we impact on four spaces. If on the other hand we look for a single row of spaces and park across them, we only impact on three.

Ah right gotcha.

MJG - 2015-02-10 4:02 PM

StuartO - 2015-02-10 3:55 PM

Ah right gotcha.

I don't.

If your parked sideways the van covers 3 spaces? Then you need another free space to get out=4 spaces.

Brian Kirby - 2015-02-11 12:22 AM

colin - 2015-02-10 7:35 PM.............. Then you need another free space to get out=4 spaces.

Which, inevitably, you can't guarantee. I also think that, presentationally, it may look more unacceptable, whatever the arithmetic says.

I suspect you are right. But if you have a largish MH and you want to visit a supermarket, you have to make the best of what you can do - and at the same time avoid the risk of being blocked in if you can. If the supermarket is busy and there isn't a sensible place to park (or it's one with a small car park) we give up and go away. You have to be considerate of others, otherwise someone will be tempted to exact revenge in some way.

George Collings - 2015-02-11 9:17 AM

The continentals park their cars close to camper vans to get in the shade thus avoiding returning to an overheated greenhouse.

We usually look for a space so the camper door is near enough to an obstruction to stop anyone parking but room to get our door open.

That makes sense. I never thought of using a MH as a source of shade but why not?

Archived