Ducato soft-close sliding door retro-fit?

mikebeaches

colin - 2015-11-17 8:15 PM

I've never said the shower in the middle is perfect, but IMO in the confines of a PVC it makes excellent use of space, and IMO apart from blocking the fridge and drawers when in use, and a slightly difficult deployment of rolled door, it knocks spots off most fixed shower rooms normaly found in this size of van. :D

Colin,

as I said, there are certain advantages to the layout - not least that (being over 6ft and not built like a racing snake), I don't feel like I'm wearing the room when I use the facilities. ;-)

As you have also found, the door (in a number of deployment modes) provides a very good separation of the front and rear of the 'van, which comes in handy under quite a few circumstances.

I can't say we've ever found the "clash" with the fridge/wardrobe a problem.

I bought the 'van with my eyes open, we use the on-board shower sparingly (preferring site facilities when they are available) so the shower wasn't top priority; I wouldn't buy without a usable shower, however, as we are reasonably regularly "off-grid", and the availability of one after a good walk, or even more so a bike ride, is important to us.

What is clear (at least to me) is that the arrangement would work better if the shower head holder were at the other end of the shower curtain (and the same curtain was deployed from the alternative end) , which would leave more slack in the shower hose when in use, make it easier to use the head both mounted and in the hand in the same session, and enable easier adjustment of the temperature (at the tap in the washbasin) when (even though it's been pre-adjusted) it inevitably varies in use.

Little things make a big difference.

(another example of poor thinking on mine is that the lighting for the shower/washroom space is switched over the kitchen area (which is outwith the roller door!). I invariably forget to switch it on until the door is deployed. Awful for anyone who likes to read whilst enthroned ;-)

(Looking at this year's pictures, it appears that this may have been "tweaked")

Bulletguy - 2015-11-17 10:59 PM

I had to go on YouTube to see what all the fuss is about. "Soft closing" doors.....on a van??? 1500 quid???

Sorry but i just don't 'get' this at all.

Why not just close it properly and have done with?

Because when you do 'Close it properly' as you state, you annoy everyone within hearing distance, AND when it doesn't close the first time,as it inevitably doesn't, it then gets slammed AGAIN ! Thats why an electric close system should be compulsory on ALL sliding door campers. Until they do, I for one, will not be buying one.

They cause too much 'aggro' on a campsite.

ps You promise NOT to slam your sliding door,and I'll promise NOT to let my dog pee on your camping pitch......Deal ?

Robinhood - 2015-11-18 10:02 AM

I can't say we've ever found the "clash" with the fridge/wardrobe a problem.

It's a rare occurrence, we've had a couple of times of having to wait to get to fridge, no real big deal, but I tend to point these things out so nobody can complain they haven't been warned.

I bought the 'van with my eyes open, we use the on-board shower sparingly (preferring site facilities when they are available) so the shower wasn't top priority; I wouldn't buy without a usable shower, however, as we are reasonably regularly "off-grid", and the availability of one after a good walk, or even more so a bike ride, is important to us.

Pretty much the same for us, I like a long hot shower which means loads of water vapour, I prefer not to introduce that much damp into van if site facilities are decent.

What is clear (at least to me) is that the arrangement would work better if the shower head holder were at the other end of the shower curtain (and the same curtain was deployed from the alternative end) , which would leave more slack in the shower hose when in use, make it easier to use the head both mounted and in the hand in the same session, and enable easier adjustment of the temperature (at the tap in the washbasin) when (even though it's been pre-adjusted) it inevitably varies in use.

I have moved showerhead holder so it's near the rolled door, and feed hose around that end, makes it much more easy to use, but doesn't help with adjusting temp, but then not found that a problem.

(another example of poor thinking on mine is that the lighting for the shower/washroom space is switched over the kitchen area (which is outwith the roller door!). I invariably forget to switch it on until the door is deployed. Awful for anyone who likes to read whilst enthroned ;-)

(Looking at this year's pictures, it appears that this may have been "tweaked")

That's odd, never seen one like that, our switch is above the wash basin.

colin - 2015-11-18 11:24 AM

I thought it quite odd (and inconvenient) as well..............................................

....and you know what - I've just gone outside for another look.

Above the wash basin, but directly under the shelf - which means there is no way I can see it at my height (and my wife, who is considerably shorter says she hasn't either) is a light switch!

It would appear that we have two-way switching of the bathroom lighting, one switch in the kitchen, and one in the bathroom.

Only had the 'van 6 months :$

Robinhood - 2015-11-18 11:58 AM

colin - 2015-11-18 11:24 AM

I thought it quite odd (and inconvenient) as well..............................................

....and you know what - I've just gone outside for another look.

Above the wash basin, but directly under the shelf - which means there is no way I can see it at my height (and my wife, who is considerably shorter says she hasn't either) is a light switch!

It would appear that we have two-way switching of the bathroom lighting, one switch in the kitchen, and one in the bathroom.

Only had the 'van 6 months :$

Hah! only took me couple of days to find the light switch on mine, I had to use the (at that time) 360 panaramic view on globecar website,. but then we only have the one switch

colin - 2015-11-18 12:04 PM

......... but then we only have the one switch

....or at least, that's what you think. ;-)

(I can't see the additional switch from any point unless I assume a totally unnatural posture - having found an (other) obvious switch that works all the appropriate bulbs, I'm not entirely surprised that we've not found it until now.)

colin - 2015-11-18 8:25 AM

I had to go on YouTube to see what all the fuss is about. "Soft closing" doors.....on a van??? 1500 quid???

I'll not be buying one anytime soon for our van at that price, but I can understand why some might want to.

Novelty value?

My son and his wife have them on a fancy bog seat and kitchen drawers but the logic continues to baffle me other than gimmick factor.

Rayjsj - 2015-11-18 10:54 AM

Because when you do 'Close it properly' as you state, you annoy everyone within hearing distance, AND when it doesn't close the first time,as it inevitably doesn't, it then gets slammed AGAIN ! Thats why an electric close system should be compulsory on ALL sliding door campers. Until they do, I for one, will not be buying one.

They cause too much 'aggro' on a campsite.

ps You promise NOT to slam your sliding door,and I'll promise NOT to let my dog pee on your camping pitch......Deal ?

Yeah i know. Folk go to all that trouble of quietly closing their doors with their 1500 quid "soft closer"......only to then fire up a throbbing diesel engine waking the entire site up with their early morning starts! *-)

Colin Leake - 2015-11-18 7:12 PM

I take the dog out first thing whilst wife get breakfast ready. I bet there's lots of campers out there more than grateful to me for saving them from oversleeping.

Only if you slam your PVC 's sliding door and then talk to your dog in a loud voice. Otherwise I sleep on.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-11-20 8:42 AM

I notice that there is a device (GOOGLE on “slamstop”) that can be retro-fitted to provide soft-closing of vehicle doors and is said to be applicable to sliding doors as well as normal hinged ones. No indication it’s marketed in Europe though.

It looks and sounds interesting but, unfortunately, the nearest agent / installer I could find was in Istanbul, Turkey.

http://slamstop.com/

http://www.slamstop.com.tr/iletisim.html

An American online mag suggests the cost for 4 car doors - fitted - is in the price range $800-$1,000, which doesn't sound unreasonable.

But as you say Derek, apparently can be fitted to sliding doors too. Thanks for the heads-up.

Mike

Edited to add - I'd have thought there was an opportunity for somebody in the UK to set up a franchise if the product is any good. Suspect there could be a good market if the price were reasonable. M

I own a globecar, and it did have the soft close door fitting. after weeks of working on and off. setting the alarm off, and just not locking. I had it removed by fiat. the soft close, will not stop the noise from the sliding door, as most of this is due to the door closing on the runner. all the soft close lock does is pull the rear of the door in to the closed position. there have been a lot of people who have had problems with this system on globecars. its just not worth the worry. michael

Rayjsj - 2015-11-19 9:43 PM

Colin Leake - 2015-11-18 7:12 PM

I take the dog out first thing whilst wife get breakfast ready. I bet there's lots of campers out there more than grateful to me for saving them from oversleeping.

Only if you slam your PVC 's sliding door and then talk to your dog in a loud voice. Otherwise I sleep on.

To be honest given that the wife is in the van i only gently pull it to at that hour unless raining heavily.

Having just become the owner of a Camscout I am 'amused' att he various comments. Actually they are relevant because I too had to hunt a bit to find the light switch in the loo. In my case the main bugbear seems to be lack of 230 volt sockets, I have only one in the kitchen. So one plan for next season is to install a couple more, one in the dinette and one beside the opening door to allow for al fresco cooking. I also would have liked one in the loo and yes, I know it is a 'no. no' but our caravan has very conveniently put the loo washbasin outside the loo itself and it has a 3 pin socket in the roof above it. Great for the electric toothbrush and hairdryer. My long ternm idea is to put a shaver socket beside the said light switch in the loo for the toothbrush. However feedingt he cable is still a bit of a problem as getting behind the panel looks tricky

As for the side door issue, I feel it is a bit over rated. On a campsite you will get noise from various sources, whether it be televisions, parties outside, dogs barking or even heavy snorers with open windows. It is not as if the side door is being opened and shut repeatedly, unless you are forgetting too much.

However, one possibly daft question. My wife likes to have all doors locked at night for security. In the caravan that was no problem but in the motorhome if I do the self locking, will any movement set off the alarms?? There must be an obvious answer, i just have not seen it yet.

Dave225 - 2015-11-20 9:22 PM

As for the side door issue, I feel it is a bit over rated. On a campsite you will get noise from various sources, whether it be televisions, parties outside, dogs barking or even heavy snorers with open windows. It is not as if the side door is being opened and shut repeatedly, unless you are forgetting too much.

However, one possibly daft question. My wife likes to have all doors locked at night for security. In the caravan that was no problem but in the motorhome if I do the self locking, will any movement set off the alarms?? There must be an obvious answer, i just have not seen it yet.

Not having an alarm on my van my answer might not be correct, but, if you press the dash button to lock doors AFAIK the alarm shouldn't be activated.

..much will depend on the alarm fitted.

As far as I can tell, the factory fit alarm is a perimeter alarm only, in which case, any internal movement will have no effect once it is armed (though you would have to be careful to disarm it before exiting in the morning).

If (as I suspect it may be) it is an aftermarket fit with internal sensors (e.g. ultrasonic) then it is fairly customary to provide an override for the internal sensing capability (to allow the leaving of pets inside, or for a motorcaravan specific fitment, as a night mode), which still leaves the perimeter protection active.

Any such override facility will be alarm specific, and might well consist of a fitted switch, or a particular remote button sequence.

I had an Autowatch alarm fitted to my van and to lock the doors when inside i just press the fob once, and then again within a few seconds which sets the alarm but enables any occupants to move around freely inside the van.

Dave225

A 230V socket-outlet in the bathroom area does not seem to worry Continental-European motorhome manufacturers unduly as my 2005 Hobby had one in the ceiling above the washbasin.

I don’t think UK domestic electrical regulations apply directly to motorhomes and, as my LHD Hobby when marketed in the UK in RHD format had none of the socket-outlets repositioned (though the outlets themselves would have been swapped for UK-norm 3-pin type) a bathroom-located 230V outlet could not have concerned UK Hobby dealerships/buyers much either.

As the Hobby’s shower-compartment was separate and at the opposite end of the bathroom to the basin, it was difficult to imagine what danger the ceiling-mounted outlet represented. (I vaguely recall being told of a ‘cowboy’ builder who installed a shower in a house leaving an original mains socket-outlet within the shower-compartment, but that’s something else!)

Thanks for the info regarding the alarm. I knew the answer was there somewhere. I just had a viision of me getting up in the night to go to the loo and all the lights to start flashing with accompnaying siren, a bit embarrasing methinks.

In Europe having mains sockets in bathrooms is quite normal as very often the washing machine is located there as well. Of course in their wiring both live and return wires are fused so there is little chance of a problem. Most EU van makers similarly have double sided protection so again sockets can be placed in positions where UK makers dare not tread. The Campscout has a separate shower compartment so technically a socket in the loo part should not be a problem, but i just did not wish any 'Elf and Safety' dealership going bonkers and refusing to touch my van as 'it ain't safe, mate'. That is why I thought the shaver socket idea would keep all and sundry happy.

Dave225 - 2015-11-21 4:53 PM

Thanks for the info regarding the alarm. I knew the answer was there somewhere. I just had a viision of me getting up in the night to go to the loo and all the lights to start flashing with accompnaying siren, a bit embarrasing methinks.

You wouldn't be the first to do that though i've only set mine off accidentally during the day. It's easy to see mine when it's armed as they fitted a light in one of the dashboard blanks which flashes like a blue strobe! I wasn't too happy about that at first as i'd already got the standard Ford one blinking away but i've pulled that out and put a second 12v socket there instead. I thought it would keep me awake but i don't notice it now and it is a deterrent.

There is also a panic button on the fob which you press to set the alarm off in an emergency.

In Europe having mains sockets in bathrooms is quite normal as very often the washing machine is located there as well. Of course in their wiring both live and return wires are fused so there is little chance of a problem. Most EU van makers similarly have double sided protection so again sockets can be placed in positions where UK makers dare not tread. The Campscout has a separate shower compartment so technically a socket in the loo part should not be a problem, but i just did not wish any 'Elf and Safety' dealership going bonkers and refusing to touch my van as 'it ain't safe, mate'. That is why I thought the shaver socket idea would keep all and sundry happy.

I think we've always been a tad ott on electrical safety. Not a bad thing really but can be annoying sometimes. European mh'ers use a much thinner hook up cable than ours and easier to handle. My cable is double the thickness of theirs and can be a right maul coiling back up if you've had to use the whole length.

Bulletguy - 2015-11-21 6:55 PM

...European mh'ers use a much thinner hook up cable than ours and easier to handle. My cable is double the thickness of theirs and can be a right maul coiling back up if you've had to use the whole length.

If motorhome forum ‘techie’ discussions about reverse polarity can go on a bit, how about this...

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/89546-safety-of-mains-hook-up-leads/

Derek Uzzell - 2015-11-22 7:55 AM

Bulletguy - 2015-11-21 6:55 PM

...European mh'ers use a much thinner hook up cable than ours and easier to handle. My cable is double the thickness of theirs and can be a right maul coiling back up if you've had to use the whole length.

If motorhome forum ‘techie’ discussions about reverse polarity can go on a bit, how about this...

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/89546-safety-of-mains-hook-up-leads/

Actually that thread link pales by comparison to our "battery threads" when the 'scientists' get going! :D :D

Archived