2013 Autoroute

DonB

I think you’ll be out of luck, Don.

On this link

http://www.europebycamper.com/2014/12/farewell-to-microsoft-autoroute.html

it’s mentioned that, after December 31 2014, it would not be possible to buy/download Autoroute from the Microsoft Store (which would be how the software would usually be acquired nowadays) and that CD versions apparently could not be obtained.

This was touched on here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Microsoft-Autoroute-replacement/36928/

(The ‘europebycamper’ link is referred to in that forum thread.)

..the Mappoint 2013 trial still seems to be available for download.

Using the "cheat" published on here of copying the maps from an installed trial of Mappoint over into the AutoRoute 2010 folder, you should be able to use 2010 with the latest maps.

Download and install the Mappoint trial from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mappoint/freetrial.aspx

Rename the "Data" subfolder in your current AutoRoute folder to something else (say "Data2010")

Copy the "Data" folder from the Mappoint trial into the AutoRoute folder.

Uninstall the Mappoint trial.

This has worked for me on earlier version of AutoRoute, and is confirmed as working on 2010 by other forum members (the copied data does not expire with the trial period).

Keeping the copy of the 2010 data as a backup allows recovery if you experience problems.

HTH

DonB - 2015-02-09 4:00 PM

Does anybody know where I can purchase Autoroute 2013? I have 2010 and I would like the 2013 version as it was the last one produced. I have tried a lot of sites on the net but when you come to buy it they say no stock.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I'm genuinely intrigued as to what somebody would (in this day and age of Sat Nav's) still want to use Autoroute.

Is there some reason you would use that in preference to a good Sat Nav??

Cheers.

PS Just had a look at the most obvious place (eBay) and the latest version for sale on there is 2010

The point of Autoroute, MJG, in my opinion is so that I can plan ahead over the next few days, working out travelling over several days or more from different locations, and also look at local roads where I am, so that I can get to know the surrounding area for planning days out, etc, either walking or on the bike. SatNavs only go from where you are to a specific location. And for looking at local roads the screen is too small. And I can use Autoroute offline, i.e. anywhere!

I'm with DonB on this one.

Autoroute is superb (and so far as I know, unique) in its facility to provide a planning route with multi waypoints ("multi" in our case being 35plus) and a graphic reproduction on a map of an approximate route and mileage,.

I never use it for satnav purposes.

I take it MJG is now suitable enlightened? ;-)

I too like Autoroute and although ours is a 2007 version it is still fit for purpose as not a lot has changed and what has changed can usually easily be resolved once you arrive at the new roads.

I also like my sat nav and even when this is new and allegedly up to date there are changed roads and layouts which again with care can invariably easily be resolved at the time.

It is not an either or situation as the two complement each other.

Thanks Robinhood for your tip, but it seems Microsoft might have got wise to this. Followed your instructions to the letter and all was going well until I had finished and I tried to run Autoroute, when the system informed me that the file format was wrong and refused to play ball.

I downloaded the 2013 version of Autoroute a while back - I think it was a free trial that I was alerted to via this (or another similar) forum.

I still have the files which amount to 6.4Gb and install Autoroute 2013 using a standard Windows installer.

DonB - I've no idea how the licensing works thereafter as I never got around to installing it, but if the installation files would be of use then I'd happily mail you a DVD.

DonB - 2015-02-12 4:07 PM

Thanks Robinhood for your tip, but it seems Microsoft might have got wise to this. Followed your instructions to the letter and all was going well until I had finished and I tried to run Autoroute, when the system informed me that the file format was wrong and refused to play ball.

Apologies. It would appear that it might be better on the later versions simply to copy two files across, rather than the whole folder.

So, a similar process, but backup the current autoroute data file by copying it to (say) "Data2010", then, from the mappoint install data folder, copy only the files:

EUR_HD.mad

EUR_CD.mad

replacing the originals in the AutoRoute Data folder (and leaving the rest of its contents asis).

This (for 2013 maps) works on my 2003 software, is confirmed as working on 2007 software, and I believe it works OK on 2010 as well.

Worth a try.

Sorry Robinhood, got interrupted... have followed your instructions to the letter again, but still get the same error message when I try to run Autoroute. My son had a go as well. Will now give up on this. Thanks very much for your helpful advice. DonB

Archived