Dealerships Good and Bad

kelly58

We are just starting out and trying to find a motorhome ,we have been to Brownhills at Newark and Wellsbridge at Ramsey. we live near Spalding in south lincs does anyone out there recomend anywhere else we can try within about 50 miles radius or better still the ones to avoid. We would like something about 5mtrs in lenght anyone got any recomendations.

Always try before you buy. If you haven,t had a motorhome before then rent one for a week or two first. Expensive yes but an even more expensive mistake if its not for you. You mentioned Brownhills. They are the biggest distributor in Europe by far so they must be doing something right for most of the time for most of the customers. At least you will find a large range of things to look at at Newark. But when you have identified the precise van you want there is lots of choice of outlets. If you are not trading in then you WILL be in a good bargaining position for some discount, new or SH. If you are buying SH then take someone competant with you to check out the motorhome is as it should be. Pay the AA or RAC if you need to. Good luck Clive

hi brownhill hmmm jurys out with them with me customer service not that good because there a big company but they do sell kean priced 2nd hand motorhomes but be carefull to have a good look at them some are a bit tatty! *-) i would go for a small to meduim company like lowdams at notts . for 25k + you shuold get a reasonable good lowprofile . tip look at lots to decide the layout and makes, dont buy the 1st you see theres always better out there for the same money and private sales offer up some good bargains but look for service history and hpi check happy hunting :-D saruman

Look at the sizes within and out of any m/home. We found only a few coachbuilts that could accomodate us, both being over 6 foot tall. Bed had to be long enough and ease of egress/access in the night essential !! Also check for leg room behind steering wheel. Many too low for long legged drivers to be able to lift foot on & off control pedals. Make sure headroom in body of vehicle is right as well, plus legroom when sat on the loo ! Don't be too fussed if no oven cooker. We manage very well without,using a heavy gauge casserole type dish with lid. Big enough to cook a whole chicken (not big enough for turkey's ) but does bacon & eggs a treat, even toast. There are many other things to look for, and we hired for a weekend. Realised an overhead cab bed was not for us, nor the dinnette conversions. Checked out many dealers, shows and quite a few private sales, taking 2 yrs before deciding, we found what we needed. Now enjoying our privately bought Laika.

I bought my AS Nuevo from Brownhills last March and apart from the Birmingham show keeping our salesman away from his desk for a few days had great service and advice. In facr their advice saved me paying the VAT which I knew nothing about until they told me I would be eligible. As to vans, well I am too new at this to advise, but given the length you mentioned the Nuevo might fit the bill. I use mine as my only transport on a daily basis and it has worked out fine. Also something to think about is should anything go wrong Newark is not too far to go to have it put right. That's why I went there I am in Norfolk. Best of luck Pete

Hi Seeing as you are in Spalding, why not try Pioneer Caravans at Eye Peterborough. Go via the Crowland road and go straight over the roundabout where the road meets the A47. First Left at the next roundabout - Eye church - and Pioneer are about 200 yards on the left. I bought my Carioca 656 from there - was the first they had sold since becoming a main dealer - and have been very pleased with the after sales service. Dave 656

at the York show the guy that sell electric scooters told me that he bought a new hymer at Newark only got 10 miles up the road before it broke dowm with fluid coming into the cab area.Brownhills did not want to know he had to call the AA to get it recovered to his home" then again to Newark where his solicitor convinced them that they had to give him his money back. My sister bought a new compass from Cleveland motorhomes in Darlington and the staff and the service was fantastic I know where i'll be going when I am ready to change,

Hi Pete, Just read your reply to this thread and was interested to read your bit on advice about not paying the VAT. Can you please tell me how and why you were eligible for this and do all M/H dealers offer this same advice ? Thanks, John 8-)

Hi John Re the VAT Question. We have just bought a Bessacarr E410 with VAT rerlief. You need to read the HM Customs & Excise Notice 701.59 regarding eligability. - see:- http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/vat-notices-disabled.htm For other products &services see:- http://www.direct.gov.uk/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/FinancialSupportArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=10028495&chk=uUrKhR Hope this helps. Regards Flicka

Kelly If you are looking for something a bit different, try Saffron Motorhomes at Tattershall Bridge (near Coningsby), they are not too far from you. They sell Maesss Motorhomes which is a small family run Belgian manufacturer and they also have some trade-ins. See this month's MMM p126. Just a small dealership run by a lovely couple, Ron and Jan. We bought a second hand Maesss, our first van, and they couldn't have been more helpful. Good luck.

VAT Free: To buy a motorhome with a zero rate of VAT, it has to meet the following criteria (as pointed out, the VAT Booklet tells all in detail): - it has to be new - it has to have no more than 6 seats - it has to have provision fitted for a wheelchair or similar, such as a ramp and floor clamps - the cost of such modifications has to be included in the purchase invoice - you cannot do the work separately - one of the owners or regular users of the vehicle has to require the disablement fittings.

Put Brownhills into the search and see what you come up with........ On a personal note aftersales service is the worst we have ever encountered! We have had seven months of waiting for faults to our 656 that we eventually went direct to manufacturer CI Via Autotrail and had everything fixed at once, excellent service from Autotrail/CI. Donna and Daz

[QUOTE]Mel E - 2006-10-10 5:49 PM VAT Free: To buy a motorhome with a zero rate of VAT, it has to meet the following criteria (as pointed out, the VAT Booklet tells all in detail): - it has to be new - it has to have no more than 6 seats - it has to have provision fitted for a wheelchair or similar, such as a ramp and floor clamps - the cost of such modifications has to be included in the purchase invoice - you cannot do the work separately - one of the owners or regular users of the vehicle has to require the disablement fittings.[/QUOTE] Hi Mel We didn't have to have Ramp or Floor Clamps just the capability to carry the Wheelchair, otherwise as you say.

[QUOTE]Mel E - 2006-10-10 1:49 PM VAT Free: To buy a motorhome with a zero rate of VAT, it has to meet the following criteria (as pointed out, the VAT Booklet tells all in detail): - it has to be new - it has to have no more than 6 seats - it has to have provision fitted for a wheelchair or similar, such as a ramp and floor clamps - the cost of such modifications has to be included in the purchase invoice - you cannot do the work separately - one of the owners or regular users of the vehicle has to require the disablement fittings.[/QUOTE] The above is not necessarily correct. Point 3 is incorrect It only needs to be adapted if the disabled person needs adaptions in order for them to drive the vehicle. Such as, brake throttle controls. Point 4 is incorrect. The cost of the adaptions can be done by a separate company to whom you pay for the costs. Further info can be had here. http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000184&propertyType=document#toc Pete

Archived