Alarms

Pete-B

Alarms  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all,

Has anyone fitted or had fitted a Out Smart the Thief Defender motor home alarm? If so I would appreciate your thoughts on it, how effective is it, how easy to fit and use and if you had it fitted, by whom and at what cost?

I gather this is the alarm that's fitted by Road Pro at their Daventry premises.

Thanks in advance for any help.

We have one on our new van and it is pretty good for the money £450 I think. I am not too sure about the price as it was a freebie with the van. Do a Google for it and see for yourself. The strike back is overpriced IMO.

Pete,

I was reading an article on Caravan Guard's website the other day and they specifically say that the 'Outsmart the thief Defender' alarm is NOT accepted by them as an approved alarm.

Here is the article for you to read for yourself... Link to CG (it's the second block down)

CAVEAT EMPTOR. Check with your own insurer before buying.

Keith.

Keithl - 2015-02-12 8:52 PM

Pete,

I was reading an article on Caravan Guard's website the other day and they specifically say that the 'Outsmart the thief Defender' alarm is NOT accepted by them as an approved alarm.

Here is the article for you to read for yourself... Link to CG (it's the second block down)

Keith.

I read that as it applies to trackers and not alarms.

OK I have to agree my reply was in reference to Trackers and not alarms, however I cannot find any Thatcham reference for the 'Outsmart the Thief Defender' alarm, only for their 'Cat 1' alarm so I'm not really sure how any insurance company would view its fitment.

Best to check with your insurance company before paying out for fitment.

Keith.

Had a "Outsmart the Thief Alarm" fitted to a Vantage van conversion that I once owned. Alarm was very reliable and never gave any problems. I believe the alarm is manufactured in Italy by Gemini and under its Gemini label it did cost considerably less at that time. Whether there are enhanced features for the "Outsmart the Thief" version I'm not sure. I would imagine that it is just the same with possibly the addition of bespoke sensors to cover the motorhome market. The installation certificate I had did refer to it as a "Outsmart the Thief Alarm" but also gave it its Gemini Thatcham approval reference. I can't recall the Gemini alarm upon which it appears to be based and it may be that the alarm is only now available through Outsmart the Thief.

Pete,

Keith.

That's funny, as we are with Safeguard and it's accepted, as it's a category 2-1 system.

Graham is correct, it is a Gemini wireless system.

peter - 2015-02-13 2:58 PM

Pete,

Keith.

That's funny, as we are with Safeguard and it's accepted, as it's a category 2-1 system.

Graham is correct, it is a Gemini wireless system.

Well if you look at the link I gave it is quite clearly in the "Tracking Devices that are not accepted for motorhomes" category. The only caveat you may have got it insured under is that the exception is "for new customers", otherwise I'm really not sure what they're playing at!

All I can add is that insurance is a minefield!

Keith.

99.9% of people including burglars, completely ignore Alarms on vehicles, So, apart for insurance purposes a waste of money.

Physical deterrant is far better and time consuming for the thief, meaning he is more likely to go elswhere.

The drop in theft OF motorhomes is purely down to vehicle immobilisers, and means without the key and transponder they are stuffed, SO, don't give them the key, with threat of violence, throw it in a river, or over a wall, into the fast lane of the motorway, but don't give it to them, otherwise your insurance is invalid.

Theft FROM motorhomes is a differant matter, and for that, get a good safe bolted through the chassis of the van and USE it for Valuables. Always when the van is left.

but an alarm, forget it, they are just another 'annoyance' on site. Ray

ps Just realised that most of you(but not the OP) were talking about Trackers, a differant kettle of fish altogether.

Archived