Comfortmatic with 130hp Ducato

mikebeaches

Sorry, another Comfortmatic question.

We are considering buying a new Globecar 5.99m PVC, MGW 3,300kg.

Does anybody have the Comfortmatic semi-automatic gearbox with with the standard 2.3lt 130hp Ducato engine?

I test drove for the first time a larger van with Confortmatic yesterday - it was a 3lt - and I was impressed with the gearbox - very smooth changes. More importantly, my wife liked it too...

Currently we have the standard 6-speed manual box on a 2.3lt 130hp engine on a 3,500kg MGW six-meter coach-built. We're perfectly satisfied with the performance, but now need an auto.

Just wondering what thoughts or views folk have about suitability of the Comfortmatic with the standard 130hp engine?

Thanks

Mike

We have it on our 3.85 ton frankia and it's great. I was sceptical about it, but it was the only combination SMC had so I took it. I have not regretted it.

Nick (euroserve) raves about the drivetrain and reckons it is the best around at the moment. He should know being in the hire trade.

Mike, I have a 130bhp with Comfort-matic fitted to my 6m 3500kgs van.

I've made several posts on Comfort-matic topics about my experience - now 11,000 miles in 18 months and no problems. If you need an auto because you cannot operate the clutch, then from what you say, and my experience to date, I reckon it will suit you very well. It can be operated in manual.

For the majority of the time in the UK, the Comfort-matic provides effortless motoring. Getting away from a standing start on busy roads is an interesting experience although the smooth gear changes encourage me to approach give way junctions and spot gaps in traffic without dropping to first. Setting off generally needs adherence to the procedure or you end up with the irritating buzzer and no progress.

In the Pennines, the box gets confused on the up, down and round roads as it is not quick enough to get into the right gear before the road changes and a new gear is needed. Switching to manual solves this. There are other very occasional times when it gets a little confused but it soon settles down again. My van trips along at a regular 2000 rpm with the odd foray to 3000rpm and an occasional dip to 1500rpm. As a driver, I can feel the gear changes but passengers say they do not.

Although it has an 'Up' button which means the revs are held for longer, the engine can quickly run out of puff on hills. Get the 'Up' on quickly enough, or use manual, and it is less of a problem. The 130 is simply not a ball of fire but you'll know that already.

mikebeaches - 2015-02-13 4:24 PM...............Currently we have the standard 6-speed manual box on a 2.3lt 130hp engine on a 3,500kg MGW six-meter coach-built. We're perfectly satisfied with the performance, but now need an auto.

Just wondering what thoughts or views folk have about suitability of the Comfortmatic with the standard 130hp engine?

Thanks

Mike

If you find the 130 2.3 litre manual adequate on your present van, there is no reason you should be disappointed with the same engine using a Comfortmatic transmission on the new. There is no power loss with Comfortmatic. It is a robotised manual gearbox, with a robotised clutch mechanism, so it is not a "full" automatic - 'though it selects and changes gear much as though it were. Apart from having servos for swapping cogs in lieu of a gear lever, the gearbox is internally mechanically identical.

Thanks both - that's really helpful and reassuring. I know a lot of folk have the auto on the 2.3lt 150hp engine and the 3lt, but wasn't sure if it would be OK with the 130hp.

I've got a dodgy knee and since changing to an automatic car I realise how much more comfortable and relaxing it would be to lose the clutch pedal on the van. In the past I've always preferred a manual box, but definitely ready to change over now. Quite happy to use the manual mode if the road conditions demand it, but otherwise just take it easy and let the auto do the gear changing - especially in busy stop start driving.

And, as mentioned, the performance of our existing 130hp engine is perfectly adequate - we've been to southern Spain in the van and plenty of times around the mountains in the South of France.

My wife shares the driving with me and she's always preferred automatics.

Mike

Brian Kirby - 2015-02-13 7:07 PM

mikebeaches - 2015-02-13 4:24 PM...............Currently we have the standard 6-speed manual box on a 2.3lt 130hp engine on a 3,500kg MGW six-meter coach-built. We're perfectly satisfied with the performance, but now need an auto.

Thanks

Mike

If you find the 130 2.3 litre manual adequate on your present van, there is no reason you should be disappointed with the same engine using a Comfortmatic transmission on the new. There is no power loss with Comfortmatic. It is a robotised manual gearbox, with a robotised clutch mechanism, so it is not a "full" automatic - 'though it selects and changes gear much as though it were. Apart from having servos for swapping cogs in lieu of a gear lever, the gearbox is internally mechanically identical.

Thanks Brian - I kind of assumed all of that, but was really seeking some reassurance from others who actually have the set-up, because my perception was that most have the gearbox with the more powerful engines.

I believe you currently have the up-rated 150hp engine. I'd be interested if you think there's a noticeable difference from the 130hp? And is it worth an extra circa £1,000?

Mike

mikebeaches - 2015-02-13 7:17 PM................I believe you currently have the up-rated 150hp engine. I'd be interested if you think there's a noticeable difference from the 130hp? And is it worth an extra circa £1,000?

Mike

Can't say, I'm afraid Mike, as I have no experience of the 130. All in all though if I were buying again (3,700kg MAM) I'd stick with the 150, and forego the Comfortmatic. It has some advantages, and some disadvantages and, IMO, the latter outweigh the former - but not at the price charged. As a £500 extra, maybe, otherwise, I'd have stuck to manual as I have no problem (at present :-)) with clutch or gearchanging..

Brock - 2015-02-13 9:36 PM

If you go on the Fiat Camper website, there is a tool that enables you to work out the best engine for you. For me it is the 130 engine but if I changed my style of motorhoming, it would be the 150.

Thanks John for your tip - I had a look at the Fiat Camper website. And, interestingly, selecting 2 passengers, mountain driving and away for a month at a time, it recommended the 130hp engine!

So, more reassurance that t perhaps we don't NEED to upgrade the engine.

Peter, John and Brian - greatly appreciate your advice - thanks!

Mike

Brian Kirby - 2015-02-14 12:12 AM............................ It has some advantages, and some disadvantages and, IMO, the latter outweigh the former - but not at the price charged. As a £500 extra, maybe, otherwise, I'd have stuck to manual as I have no problem (at present :-)) with clutch or gearchanging..

With apologies for the confusion, I just realised I garbled the above and should have said "the former outweigh the latter", and not what I wrote. In other words, on balance it has positive advantages, but not sufficient, IMO, to warrant the extra cost.

Archived