North Yorkshire County Council - Motorhome Ban

John J Thompson

I thought that as this restriction was aimed at stopping OVERNIGHT parking, between 11pm and 7 am, and that it would not affect me, as I always park over night on a Site. However having read the order, it states that to enforce these rules they will be erecting Height Barriers, which presumably will stay permanently ?

ie. NOT opened between 7am- 11pm. So they are effectively banning ALL motorhomes from parking in their carparks 24hours a Day ! Where exactly do they think visitors in Motohomes are supposed to park ? or do they not care ? and what do they expect to happen ? Parking in sidestreets ,probably in front of folks houses ? But what other choice will there be ? Badly thought out action. Ray

Vested interests.

Why should anyone but the naive be surprised at this? Corruption at local level is just as bad as at Westminster. After all Councils are where many Westminster rogues have 'cut their teeth'.

Guest Had Enough

I've been travelling for two days and haven't had wi-fi but it's nice to know that nothing has changed on here. :-(

It's a pity that you didn't dig a bit deeper before giving the usual conspiracy theorists something to whinge about. If you had you'd have found the following facts:

Of about fifty or so councillors at Scarborough, this man is the only one with the most tenuous connection to the caravan industry. But here's the best bit - his caravan park is purely owner-owned static caravans. He does not take touring caravans or motorhomes. He has no interest whatsoever in driving motorhomes off the streets of Scarborough and wouldn't benefit one penny by it.

Vested interests? (lol) Mmmm, have to think about that one! ;-)

There are actually very few councillors with business interests on Scarborough Council. Of the few that there are most would benefit from having more motorhomes as they're cafe and gift shop owners.

Every councillor has to declare his or her interests and they have to recuse themselves if they could benefit from any planning decision. Councillors these days are so tightly monitored by standards committees that corruption is actually very rare. As I said, very few are in business and have no financial connection with business. The days of Poulson et al are long gone and only those with natural in-built hatred of their own country and the establishment could come up with some of the conclusions we see here.

The anti-motorhome parking question at Scarborough has been driven by one thing and one thing only, complaints from the residents who are tired of seeing their streets littered with rows and rows of what they see as large white boxes in which they witness people eating their own food.

I know that no matter how much proof is posted, there will be a few who will still think that it's all backhanders and secret deals.

Finally, anyone can go to the council's website and see the occupations and interests of every councillor and I would urge you to do it. It might open your eyes when you see the list of very differing occupations of councillors of all political parties.

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2015-03-16 7:23 PM

Councillors these days are so tightly monitored by standards committees that corruption is actually very rare.

are you putting in a planning application for a Scarborough shop Frank ;-)

Archived