Rear belt autotrail Arapaho 2007

FlamingBuzzard

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

If your motorhome’s seat is as shown in the photo I’ve attached, it certainly looks like that there might be problems with seat-belt retraction. There may be no solution except to modify the existing cushions or (if modification proves to be impracticable) to replace them with cushions of a different design that do not interfere with the belts.

(It’s perhaps worth adding that seat-belt retraction mechanisms do tend to ‘weaken’ with age and an Arapaho’s belts that might have retracted adequately in 2007 - despite the cushions’ thickness - may be less able to do so in 2015.)

seat.jpg.2c06fa59d6134284f0107c4c1b5abf56.jpg

The MOT ‘rules’ relating to seat-belts are here

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s05000001.htm

You’ll see that (where appropriate) belt-retraction should be checked

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s05000202.htm

Rejection may occur if

"a retracting mechanism does not retract the webbing sufficiently to remove all the slack from the belt with the locking mechanism fastened and the seat unoccupied."

The seat and seat belt design seems to be exactly the same as an apache 700 of the same age however the 700 doesn't have the board on the wall I think. It seems that this may cut into the space where the seat cushions go therefore causing it to be too tight where the belt is. Could I remove or cut the board down??? Any suggestions as I cannot seat the children legally at the moment.

Hi - I have a similar Arapaho.

If you are positioning seat belt as shown in the photo I can understand the problem.

However if you takeout the transverse lower back cushion and fasten the seat belts then replace the transverse cushion "through the belt" ie with the rear of the belt behind the cushion and the front of the belt /buckle in front of the cushion - it works well.

These belts have been used regularly and MOT tested 5 times in mine (and I've watched them tested) with no problems. Just put mine in storage this evening or I'd have taken a picture of it !!

Hope this helps

Don't know how old your children are? But if they need a car seat, (under10 ?)I saw an article some time ago , about them (the dinette seats) not being suitable for a child seat to be on the outer side of the dinette seat. Think it may have been an old article in MMM. Perhaps others will be able to throw light on this for you.

Hope you can get it sorted.

PJay

Archived