2011 Ford Transit alarm

Eleets01

Hi folks,

I have just recently purchased my first motorhome, a 2011 Tribute T-625. It has, so far, been great fun. However, I seem to be struggling with the alarm.

How do you lock the doors from inside without arming the alarm? Every time I press the 'lock' button on the drivers door, the alarm seems to arm and then will go off because I've broken a sensor beam (well I take it that's why). I've tried it with the ignition turned, etc. but it always seems to want to arm.

I don't have any other experience with transit vans, is it normal to have to turn the key in the ignition after unlocking the door to disarm the alarm after I have locked the cab??

I have a funny feeling I am doing something completely daft so hopefully one of you guys can help.

Cheers, Roy :-)

It sounds as though the alarm fitted is not of a type designed for motorhome use, so any movement inside after locking and arming is interpreted as an intruder. This sounds to be an alarm designed for use only when the van is parked and unoccupied.

Do you know the alarm make? If so, you may be able to get a manual that should explain if the interior detectors can be disabled when locking. Failing that, it may be possible to get it modified to prevent it from automatically arming when the doors are locked.

Just a guess, but have you tried pressing the button twice?

On our MK7 Transit, one press of the button locked the doors and set the alarm, two presses double locked (could not open doors manually from the inside) and disabled the interior motion sensors.

Thanks guys.

Brian, hopefully I don't need to modify the alarm. I think it's cobra branded so I'll have a check and see on their site...

I'll give the double click a go. Hopefully it's as simple as that. I just need to find a quiet spot that I can try it as I hate making too much noise.

I'm sure the last time I was out (6weeks ago as I work away from home) I managed to lock it from inside without arming... I just need to remember how to do that haha

Thanks again :-)

Then I assume the alarm is an after-market fit.

Have you considered contacting the previous owner (or possibly the dealer from whom you bought the van) to see a) if they have perhaps retained the manual for the alarm, and b) whether they can explain how to isolate automatic arming when locking the doors so that you can occupy the van with its doors locked, or isolate just the internal sensors so that you can occupy the van with doors locked and the alarm armed.

Failing either of these, do you know who fitted the alarm? There should be some form of certification provided by the fitter. (If there is not, I don't think you have all the necessary paperwork.) There may be a malfunction, or even a wiring error, so perhaps the fitter can help.

Cheers again Brian.

I think I've managed to sus it out. I found on another forum for another type of cobra alarm that if you press the alarm dashboard button (I didn't even realise there was a button, I thought it was an led only) within a few seconds of taking the key out of the ignition, and hold it until the led flashes red, it seems to deactivate the internal sensor. Seems to have worked the couple of times I've tried it now...

Still not perfect but it's defo better :-)

This guide

http://vehiclesecurity.co.nz/manuals/4615-user-manual.pdf

relates to Cobra’s 4600 range.

I don’t know if it’s appropriate for the alarm in your motorhome, but Page 5, para 3.5 mentions arming the system with the volumetric ultrasonic protection disabled, and the advice seems to approximate to what you’ve now said.

Archived