smartphone tethering

teflon2

I'm thinking of getting a smartphone and would want to use it for tethering to my tablet does it work well and what kind of drain on the phone battery while connected to the internet. Someone has probably posted this before but I can't find it. John (^) (?)

With a 6" screen I usually use my smart phone for browsing, but have tried using it with a laptop a couple of times and it works very well, this is with a Nokia windows phone and is very simple, switch on the wifi hotspot app which gives a password then log in from the laptop as you would with a router. My phone has a relatively large battery so thats not an issue for me, but is set to only update on wifi and best to disable auto updates on connected devise to prevent large downloads. I did once put the phone in the skylight to get better signal, so in this respect is quite good, but you will always be limited by whatever mobile signal you can get.

Guest Had Enough

It works extremely well and I find it better to tether both my laptop and tablet and have the convenience of working on a much larger device.

Two things to consider: Some companies do not allow tethering. I thinks it's unfair as what does it matter how you use your data allowance? Whether you tether or not you're still using x megabytes of data. Check the small print in your phone's contract.

I don't notice any excessive battery drain but in a motorhome it's not a problem anyway as I can charge my phone as I use it.

Make sure you password protect your tethering field, or people in adjoining motorhomes who are looking for a wi-fi signal can log on to your phone and slow down your transmission speeds.

Finally, if you do find that you have a non-tethering contract, buy this app http://pdanet.co/

which is available for Android. It makes tethering very easy to switch on and disguises the fact that you are tethering, so that your provider won't get upset and cut you off or impose extra charges.

There's probably a similar app for iPhone if that's what you use, but I've not explored that.

It's worked so well for me that we've given up our landline at home and I tether to my IPhone all the time. I can thether either by WiFi or by using the IPhone's lead into the laptop's USB socket, in which case it charges the IPhone at the same time.

I get unlimited data on the Three Network, which also works (free of charge) in France, Austria, Italy and soon Spain as well as America and other EU countries.

That sounds good idea to give up th landline 'StuarO'

That would stop all the nuisance telesales- even though I am Telephone Preference registered

Does it give same download speed or is that affected by mobile handset capability

I am not good on telecommunication/ electronic stuff.

I do get ,unsolicited calls on the mobile but I just ignore them

Certainly worth a thought when my expensive BT landline/ broadband contract comes up for renewal

...if you are considering it, I would strongly advise you to be aware of Frank's advice - the various mobile phone companies' stance on tethering (i.e. using a 'phone with a contract fundamentally designed for a 'phone as a wireless hotspot) varies, and many of them have tightened up on the T's and C's. (particularly where a contract includes large amounts of, or unlimited, data)

Stuart uses the example of Three, for instance, and their "all you can eat data". He may well be on a historic tariff, but as I understand it, signing up to Three now is considerably more restrictive.

For example:

All Pay as You Go tariffs are barred from tethering.

Non-PAYG tariffs with "all you can eat" data limit the amount of that data you can use in tethering.

There are mobile broadband plans (as opposed to 'phone ones) that don't have the same restrictions, but do have others.

(and note that with Three, if you have an "all you can eat" data allowance and use it in the continental "feel at home" locations, it is limited to 25GB).

The devil (with all the networks) is in the detail - which isn't always easy to find.

Read any terms carefully before signing up.

I am on an older (cheaper) tariff but I think the restrictions are the same as you describe. I cannot tether abroad, only in UK, but last year in France it was still adequate (Ijust learned how to use the smartphone directly for more things and I never got close to using 25 Gb per month. Apparently they cut you off at 25 Gb rather than suddenlt start charging you a fortune.

But the deal with Three still works well for us as the alternative to a landline plus broadband charges in UK. We have good Three Network reception where we live. The mobile broadband goes a bit slow in the late afternoons and Three explain somewhere that they "throttle" tethered users after 3pm, presumbaly to be fair to their other network users at a busy time.

You have to remember that 0800 numbers are not free on a mobile but I've found an App that circumvents that somehow. Still stuck with poaying for 0844, 0845 and 0870 numbers but when yoy are retired you can often find a way around that if you sniff around.

No regrets about getting rid of the landline so far. I'm retired so I don't need anything faster than Three provides and I can live with the afternoon lull. We have started to get a few junk text messages advertising things on the mobiles but at least the cold calling to our home line has stopped. My sister moaned because it costs her more to ring us on a mobile so she sends a text and I ring her back!

My wife and I pay £15 per month each with Three for far more phone minutes and messages than we use and "all you can eat" data ( I understand the same deal now costs £20 per month) and we no longer pay £16 per month landline rental plus £17 per month for fairly slow broadband.

Robinhood - 2015-02-16 2:08 PM

StuartO - 2015-02-16 1:53 PM

You have to remember that 0800 numbers are not free on a mobile.......

AIUI, 0800 numbers have been free on Three for nearly a year.

Worth you checking your plan, Stuart.

As they are on Giff Gaff (and probably other as well).

Dave

Archived