Oyster Caro (I think)

spawn_e_git

Hi.

Just brought 2000 Eldiss Autstratus and it's my first motorhome. I'll be honest, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, it is a "punt" for the wife and I to see if we like it. We've done all the beach holidays and although she still will want one a year, we want to have a look around our country a but more and this is why we brought it.

anyway, its got a Oyster Caro fitted to it. It looks a bit of a mis-match because the Dish is square like the Caro but the controller is like this one: http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/accessories/oyster/steuergeraetoyster.jpeg

It also has a Sky box next to it although it doesn't look like any Sky box I've had in the house.

The dish comes up electrically and goes back down again. Other than that I have not tried anything with it.

Does anyone have a system like this?

Is it any good?

What can it do?

Do I need to subscribe to anything to get it working.

I'm sure I'll have loads of questions over the coming weeks as we try and get it set up for us but I thought I'd start with this as someone at some point paid about £1500 for this system.

Hi

And welcome to the wonderful (if sometimes infuriating!) world of motorhoming.

We had a Caro setup which was already fitted when we bought our previous MH, a 52 reg Autotrail, and I don't think yours is a mismatch at all. The control box included closely resembled the one you have - whether it was an identical model, I can't be sure, and please bear that in mind with what follows. We also had a Maxview satellite receiver - I think for Caros of that era you needed both a controller (in the link you posted "steuergeraetoyster" taken literally means "Oyster Steering Equipment") to lock onto the desired satellite, and also receiver box - what you refer to as a Sky box - to process the signal. (From memory I think Pace made a 12v Sky box, which is no longer available.)

It worked fine, locking onto Astra 2 automatically, until some time in 2012 - I can't remember the exact sequence of events, but I think there was a big shift round in satellite positions. After that a lot of satellite setups needed updating - either on a remote basis online, or by sending the control box off to be updated. The problem with the early Caro boxes was that this option appeared impossible - I seem to recall speaking at the time to TSC/Robert Jackson (the one-time Oyster agent) and with ten Haaft UK (the current importers, at least at that time.) The only option to maintain fully automatic operation would have been to buy a new control box - which was more than we wanted to spend.

However, don't despair - because even if your set up is in this situation (and it may not be), I did find that with a bit of trial and error I could almost always get the dish locked on to Astra 2. In effect, you use the control box to get the dish to the right general area; where it would then enter into fine tuning mode you then interrupt the automatic process and use the arrow keys on the control box to search around until you find a good signal. For this to work, you do need a signal strength gauge - we had one already built into the Maxview receiver which showed strength on the TV screen, but if your receiver doesn't have this, you can buy freestanding gauges relatively cheaply (about £20 from memory.)

Alternatively, the control box would still lock onto Astra 1 automatically, at least at that time, and you could find Astra 1 and move the dish 10 arrow presses right and 3 down.

When we sold the van (as including a semi-automatic satellite system) I did an instruction sheet, which may be of help to you, but please bear in mind that it relates specifically to our setup and with the Maxview receiver. The text of it ran:

Satellite tuning

Option A:

• Use Auto Tuning to get dish to point of fine-tuning for Astra 2

• Press Menu to stop dish

• Press < to Manual Tuning, then OK

• Press Info on Maxview remote, to display signal strength

• Use arrow keys on box to find signal – needs 60% strength

• May find sound option on Maxview helpful (press 1)

Option B:

• Select Astra 1 and use Auto Tuning to lock on

• Press < to Manual Tuning, then OK

• Press > 10 times, then ? 3 times – should find Astra 2.

• If not, combine with option A above.

Good luck!

Hi and welcome, contrary to popular belief, the control box you have can be updated. If you contact Ten Haaft direct, they will tell you to send the unit to them, and for 35euros they will do the job, or at least that is what they did for me 2 years ago, they will also send you a instruction book for it via e'mail.

Good luck.

There is a company in Daventry that are agents, and they are very good and really know these systems inside out. I can't remember the name at the moment. If it needs updating they will certainly do it for you.

Guest Had Enough

I've recently updated my Oyster firmware and TV programme list by downloading the relevant files from their site and speaking with Oyster's UK agent. I then loaded them onto the Oyster digibox using a USB memory stick.

Are you sure that it is actually a Sky-brand box, or are you using Sky as a generic description to describe any digibox? My Oyster 85 HD has an Oyster digibox.

I had superb help from Anthony Read, whose phone number is 01858 575928.

The Company is Oyster Tech, Unit 5 Hemploe Business Park, Hemploe Road, Welford,Northampton, NN6 6HF

This is the site I used where you can download updates and instruction books.

http://www.ten-haaft.de/downloads/GB_auswahl.php

Had Enough - 2015-02-17 8:28 PM

I've recently updated my Oyster firmware and TV programme list by downloading the relevant files from their site and speaking with Oyster's UK agent. I then loaded them onto the Oyster digibox using a USB memory stick.

Are you sure that it is actually a Sky-brand box, or are you using Sky as a generic description to describe any digibox? My Oyster 85 HD has an Oyster digibox.

I had superb help from Anthony Read, whose phone number is 01858 575928.

The Company is Oyster Tech, Unit 5 Hemploe Business Park, Hemploe Road, Welford,Northampton, NN6 6HF

This is the site I used where you can download updates and instruction books.

http://www.ten-haaft.de/downloads/GB_auswahl.php

Hi thank you all for your responses,

I have not connected a TV to it yet but I might try this weekend.

It is definitely a Sky box.

I'll upload a (poor) photo but on the grey box you can just make out the Sky writing on it. I have no remote controls for anything but I'm sure I'll find out in the end if it is any use nowadays and somehow find out how to work it.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/spawn_e_git/2015-02-18175758.jpg

Mike88 - 2015-02-19 7:58 PM

The box looks like a Pace Skybox. They are no longer made but are like gold secondhand as they can run on 12 volts without the need for an inverter.

Hi. Does it work in the modern era?

Can I get a remote control for it?

Does it need a sky car and subscription?

I'd be happy if it could be connected to a free sat system as I hate giving money to Murdoch.

spawn_e_git - 2015-02-19 10:21 PM

The box looks like a Pace Skybox. They are no longer made but are like gold secondhand as they can run on 12 volts without the need for an inverter.

I'd be happy if it could be connected to a free sat system as I hate giving money to Murdoch.

Does it work in the modern era..............Yes.

Remote..................................................Yes. A normal Sky remote is required.

No Sky card required.

You will receive all the free to air channels without subscription and a card. In essence you have a freesat system.

Mike88 - 2015-02-20 8:50 AM

spawn_e_git - 2015-02-19 10:21 PM

Does it work in the modern era..............Yes.

Remote..................................................Yes. A normal Sky remote is required.

No Sky card required.

You will receive all the free to air channels without subscription and a card. In essence you have a freesat system.

Thanks for that.

Just got off the phone to Oyster Tech.

No more software updates due to the age of it so I would have to change the control unit (£500-700) or manually lock it on.

I'll have a play this weekend and see how it goes.

If all else fails I will get endless hours of fun just moving it up and down (lol)

As I said in my reply - and it looks like we had the same unit as you - I managed to lock onto Astra 2 almost every time - sometimes virtually immediately, other times it did take a fair bit of patience! I did find it was worth doing it in good time, rather than wait until just before a TV programme your partner is keen to watch!

As I said before, if you contact Ten Haaft, they will do it for you, for 35euros, none of the English companies I contacted would do it, they just wanted to sell me new control boxes. you have to send the oyster control box to Germany, comes back in 1 week done. You have the same box and pace system as me, and mine works fine now.

sheer lunar-see - 2015-02-21 2:06 PM

As I said before, if you contact Ten Haaft, they will do it for you, for 35euros, none of the English companies I contacted would do it, they just wanted to sell me new control boxes. you have to send the oyster control box to Germany, comes back in 1 week done. You have the same box and pace system as me, and mine works fine now.

Oh ok. I. Thought the ten haft had stopped it all together. Did you call the German office direct?

spawn_e_git - 2015-02-21 5:08 PM

sheer lunar-see - 2015-02-21 2:06 PM

Oh ok. I. Thought the ten haft had stopped it all together. Did you call the German office direct?

I emailed Ten Hafft but it seems they just bounced my email to the Oyster UK who come back again saying that future upgrades are 100% possible.

I fitted the TV today and I can get the sky up on the signal page but the Oyster box just says "please switch on receiver" and not much else happens. If I press the UK region button when powering up it just seems the lay flat.

Does anyone have a link for a manual for the Caro 1?

I think I'll probably need to phone Oyster technical when I'm in front of the box in the van and maybe get it sorted as I am not getting very far at the moment.

Guest Had Enough
spawn_e_git - 2015-02-28 8:01 PM

I think I'll probably need to phone Oyster technical when I'm in front of the box in the van and maybe get it sorted as I am not getting very far at the moment.

This is the site I used to download my updates. This link is to the operating instructions' page. I'm not sure if your model is here but it may be.

http://www.ten-haaft.de/downloads/GB_bed.php

Had Enough - 2015-02-28 8:24 PM

spawn_e_git - 2015-02-28 8:01 PM

This is the site I used to download my updates. This link is to the operating instructions' page. I'm not sure if your model is here but it may be.

http://www.ten-haaft.de/downloads/GB_bed.php

Hi. Thanks for the link. I've looked around that site and I can't find anything relating to the White controller with the map of Europe on it.

Spoke to Anthony at Oyster today about going through it on Friday when I'm away with the van.

He told me the switch on the reciever message may be the box not powering the lnb and to check for between 13 & 18 volts on cable from sat box. Checked and got 13.2v.

I then noticed that the cable from the sat was in the reciever connection. Swapped the two cables over and instantly locked on to Astra 1.

I got all the free channels up so just need to understand Astra 1 vs Astra 2 :-D

Archived