Spanish mobile weigh bridges

flyboyprowler

Recently, in the Eastern Almeria area, local traffic police were seen testing a new mobile weigh bridge. It was only a set of pads that the vehicle drives on to, but, given that any way of raising revenue is used, this will probably show up with the coming season, so beware! I understand that the fine for being over weight is possibly €2000.

Guest Had Enough
flyboyprowler - 2015-02-17 10:24 PM

Recently, in the Eastern Almeria area, local traffic police were seen testing a new mobile weigh bridge. It was only a set of pads that the vehicle drives on to, but, given that any way of raising revenue is used, this will probably show up with the coming season, so beware! I understand that the fine for being over weight is possibly €2000.

Do you think that it could actually be that they don't want grossly overloaded lorries on their roads and that many have been responsible for accidents?

Perhaps the deaths in the horrible accident in Bath just a couple of days ago may have been prevented by tougher laws or better policing of such vehicles? I suspect that the parents of the four-year-old girl who was killed will be in favour of such things as mobile weighbridgea and roadside checks.

Not everything is about money.

There is a simple answer to the problem of being overweight.

Make sure you know your weight before you leave. If you do know your weight and you find out you are overweight when the authorities pull you in you deserve everything that is thrown at you.

No excuse for being overweight. It is dangerous and your vehicle can become unstable and will have disastrous effects on your braking ability. This effect can lead to a serious accident, and that accident may just be around the next corner.

Maybe I am cynical, but a friend of ours was fined recently for not having lights on in a tunnel. Hers were automatic lights, and the police said that they weren't on when she entered the tunnel! Another fined 200€ on a spot check because she had a coke tin, in a drinks holder in the car, that her son had left when she dropped him at school!

We have a lot of motorhomes in the area, and yes it would be nice to think that the weigh bridges will be used on overweight lorries, but sadly I think our pride and joys will possibly also be the target.

flyboyprowler - 2015-02-18 8:57 AM

Maybe I am cynical, but a friend of ours was fined recently for not having lights on in a tunnel. Hers were automatic lights, and the police said that they weren't on when she entered the tunnel! Another fined 200€ on a spot check because she had a coke tin, in a drinks holder in the car, that her son had left when she dropped him at school!

We have a lot of motorhomes in the area, and yes it would be nice to think that the weigh bridges will be used on overweight lorries, but sadly I think our pride and joys will possibly also be the target.

I would have thought that having a "COKE" tin in car, she got of lightly!!!

seriously though , what was the charge ? re the drinks tin? We often have a drink in the cup holder, usually a carton

PJay

Another fined 200€ on a spot check because she had a coke tin, in a drinks holder in the car, that her son had left when she dropped him at school!

OTT- Just curious..Why did they stop her? was it just a random spot check?...part of a clamp down on the "school run"? (we've all seen "busy" folk eating and drinking at the wheel, first thing in the morning)

....had they perhaps witnessed her drinking from it? ;-)

(When my kids were little, at times there'd be toys and colouring books scattered in the car, maybe I'm lucky I wasn't pulled and fined for colouring over the lines! (lol))

In the UK we have sections of roads and motorways with weighing sensors built into the Tarmac and cameras reading your reg no. They are very accurate and not all aimed at HGV's, but cars, vans, Minibus's and motorhomes.

It's a great idea and agree with most comments. We MH owners run near the gross weight and is mega dangerous to run over weight.

Yes the Spanish are looking to make a few extra euros, but if you drive legaly, you will not have a problem with them.

As one who has spent a lot of time ensuring that my vans run within the weight limits of the chassis I have little sympathy for those caught over weight.

That said manufacturers and dealers are very economical with the truth about payloads in their quest to load vans with extras and then sell them to an unsuspecting public, many of whom think that as it is a commercial vehicle it must be OK to load it up without knowing exactly how much it does weigh, so I do hope that VOSA and their Euro counterparts exercise a little discretion and empathy, although I suspect not, when someone is caught over loaded.

For those that are near enough, Dave Newell has a set of wheel weight scales and I understand that as part of any work or service he carries out he can also weigh the four corners for those who want to know.

Finding out how much your MH actually weighs turns out to be far easier than you would think once you take the trouble to look for somewhere in your locale.

There are at least two builders merchants within 10 miles of me who will allow any motorhomer to drive on to their weighbridge free of charge as long as they don't want a printed ticket and even if you do want a ticket, they don't charge much. You don't need an "official" public weighbridge. Many builders merchants will have a very accurate one.

I agree that MH sales people fail miserably to tell buyers about the risks of being over weight and ways to avoid doing so. It is something which you have to be responsible about for yourself.

The problem with and for manufacturers is that when they submit a vehicle for testing and I am sure that they are very carefull to ensure that the vehicle/model will pass the weight test for approval. So with a certificate in their hands for say 3000kg on a 3500kg chassis( gross weight), they can publish a capacity of 500kg for you the customer to use when loading your Motorhome up. BUT and their is a big but, the tolerance allowed is +\- 5% so if this tolerance is used up by the manufacturer, you the owner will be left with only 350kg of payload. When I asked a supplier about the situation with a +5% tolerance I was told go to SV Tec and get it upgraded then I would have a better payload.

So with carefull planning and being very selective on what I take PLUS visits to my local weigh ridge I still have some capacity for my wine on return trips to Spain.

So be carefull and take the forums advice regards weight and weigh ridges.

pepe63 - 2015-02-18 10:28 AM

Another fined 200€ on a spot check because she had a coke tin, in a drinks holder in the car, that her son had left when she dropped him at school!

OTT- Just curious..Why did they stop her? was it just a random spot check?...part of a clamp down on the "school run"? (we've all seen "busy" folk eating and drinking at the wheel, first thing in the morning)

....had they perhaps witnessed her drinking from it? ;-)

(When my kids were little, at times there'd be toys and colouring books scattered in the car, maybe I'm lucky I wasn't pulled and fined for colouring over the lines! (lol))

She was stopped for a random paperwork check, the police saw the can, and accused our friend of drinking from it, which she had certainly not, and neither could they have seen her anyway. Sadly this is just another example of the police being petty in the name of legality, just to make money.

Archived