C1 medical

Billggski

My concern with Doctors you find yourself, and are not your own GP, is that an applicant can answer the yes/no questions how they like, with presumably no checks made with your own GP. As most of the "Assessment" is based on yes/no responses from the applicant, based on History, it surely places doubts on its usefulness/validity

Not that any Motorhomers on here would tell fibs about their medical history of course (lol)

The doctor who examines you has to check various things "live" (such as blood pressure and eyesight, but lots of other things too) so many of the risks to driving they are seeking to control are revealed that way. Some things you might be able to try to hide, like a history of epilepsy, but in doing so you would commit a serious specific offence and there is almost bound to be a record somewhere which could expose your lie if they investigated enough should the need arise.

If there is ever reason (such as after an accident) to investigate, your GP's records could be investigated because you have to give consent to this as part of the application process. For example I dare say the driver of the dustbin lorry in Glasgow has been looked at fairly closely in the wake of his accident.

It's not a perfect system of checking by any means but it would be naive to assume that you can cheat it easily or with impunity. Your insurers would of course dump you if it emerged after an accident that you had cheated.

Billggski - 2015-02-18 10:56 AM

.....but the renewal form is just a tick list.

I could drive my MH without anyone seeing me at all. I just want the C1 to keep my entitlement.

Not true- a GP HAS to see you to sign the form to say he has given you an "examination"-such as it is. Just a B.P. check and in my case sounded out my chest. plus the eyesight test if not done by the optician.

Well I have the form in front of me and i can renew it online or just tick the boxes and receive my new licence in two weeks. I don't have to fill in sections 1, put a tick in 2,, two ticks in 3, one tick in 4, ignore 5 and 6. Sign it in 7, send it off with my old licence and Bob's your uncle.

Only if I declare a condition or want to keep my C1 do I need to see a doctor.

Billggski - 2015-02-18 2:44 PM

Well I have the form in front of me and i can renew it online or just tick the boxes and receive my new licence in two weeks. I don't have to fill in sections 1, put a tick in 2,, two ticks in 3, one tick in 4, ignore 5 and 6. Sign it in 7, send it off with my old licence and Bob's your uncle.

For an ordinary car licence, which also covers motorhomes under 3,500 kg, that's true - but this thread is about renewing and keeping your C1 entitlment, which you need if your MH is over 3,500kg.

Then you do need a medical (every three years over 70 yrs of age) and all of a sudden the stiffer HGV visual and other fitness standards apply.

The subject of the thread is "C1 Medical" and the O.P. refers to "coming up to 70" and further refers to retaining entitlement to C1.. I didn;t see that as a "normal renewal"

As has been said, to retain a C1 entitlement is a different ball game. Not all ticky boxes but there are a lot of them. You can't renew on line. You do need to be seen by a G.P.

My posts on the thread was merely to imply that I'm surprised that DVLA don't require that the GP should be someone who has knowledge of the history of the Applicant, rather than for the most part relying on what he's told by the applicant.

Billggski - 2015-02-18 2:44 PM

So what you where actually saying was in contradiction to the title of your opening thread and you have no intention of keeping your C1?

Correct, or I am making a wrong assumption?

Keith.

Keith-I share your confusion. It would help if OP could clarify- is he approaching 70 , wishes to continue to drive 3500plus Motorhome, and therfore retain his C1 licence on renewal?

If that's the case it's D4 application with medical assessment by GP-and same again in 3 yrs

Well, it's interesting to correspond with contributors who are more pedantic than me.

But if you read my original post I just informed the forum that you can save about £100 by using the service that hgv drivers do. I assume hgv companies are OK with the implications of not using their drivers' own doctors.

Whether this is more secure than using your own doctor is neither here nor there as if I didn't want to keep my entitlement I could just use the tick boxes provided and continue to drive my MH.

As I do I have booked the medical, which is where we started.

Some have misread my comments, told me I was wrong, and have become confused, but then at my age I sympathise.

So sorry- I thought this Forum invited people to give their views and opinions on comments made my fellow motorhomers.

Your comment (so far as I could interpret, and please correct me if I am wrong) related to a medical assessment you had booked for a "C1 Medical" ( your expression) as you are approaching the age of 70.

You referred to a company which provided these medicals at a fairly reasonable rate.

My comment in consequence of that was to politely express my concern about the validity of such an assessment, given that much of the assessment is based on medical history of which the Company GP would have no knowledge. This was not a criticism of you goodself- I am sure many drivers do the same or there wouldn't be such a market.

Your response was ".but the renewal form is just a tick list.

I could drive my MH without anyone seeing me at all. I just want the C1 to keep my entitlement."

Given the context of this thread, and your own statements, this is clearly not so- and I (again) politely said so, with the reasons.

You further stated that you could renew the licence on line, and assuming you are still referring to a C1 licence(title of the thread) again this is untrue

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

Scroll to bottom of page

It's not a matter of others misreading your comments, nor of pedantry. Other than yourself, 2 people have contributed to the thread and all seem to have a problem grasping the nature of what exactly you wish to drive or which licence you wish to retain. Are all 3 of us to blame here? Or you may consider you haven't been quite clear in what you are trying to say.

I'm happy to leave the thread now, having had my say, but it would be interesting if you would tell us-

-do you currently hold a C1 licence which allows you to drive MH in excess of 3500kg,

-are you approaching 70 yrs of age and do you wish to retain that entitlement for at least another 3 yrs?

-Did your original Post refer to the medical assessment which would be needed in such a case?

That;s what I thought you were commenting on and I believe the same can be said for the others on here. If not-kindly enlighten us

Oh and " I was just responding to someone saying I was wrong and you needed a medical for a normal renewal"....who said that and where??

:-> :->

When drivers of motorhomes which are over 3.5 tons are due to renew their licences at 70 years old it can be a worrying time if they suspect that they might have an underlying problem that could prevent them from getting through the medical. In that case you have a choice, you either trade down below 3.5 tons and carry on with your normal licence or bite the bullet and hope that your problem might not be sufficiently bad to prevent you from passing the medical. If you fail then what ever is found has to be reported to the DVLA and will be on your record for the rest of your life. Some issues can be controlled by medication but will have to agreed by a doctor or consultant and copies of treatment will have to be sent to the DVLA medical centre. All HGV drivers who reach 65 have to have a medical every 12 months if they wish to carry on working not 3 years as for up to 7.5 tons. I have a thorough HGV 1 medical every year as I still drive Artics and what has changed is the extra requirement to have a thorough Eyesight test at a recognised opticians practice. The first page of the medical is solely for the eyesight test and once done the Optician signs and dates the page then you go to the doctor to have the rest of the medical carried out. He will record the opticians findings. Previously the GP carried out a standard eyesight reading test but it has now become much more involved.

rolandrat - 2015-02-19 12:54 PM

what has changed is the extra requirement to have a thorough Eyesight test at a recognised opticians practice. The first page of the medical is solely for the eyesight test and once done the Optician signs and dates the page then you go to the doctor to have the rest of the medical carried out. He will record the opticians findings. Previously the GP carried out a standard eyesight reading test but it has now become much more involved.

this is not true: Top of D4 medical form under vision assesment it says " To be filled in by a doctor or optician / optomotrist. " I have a medical each year for my bus driving licence and do not have a separate eye test. I do wear glasses for driving and the eye test by the doctor has to be done while wearing these glasses. I do take my latest prescription ( up to two years old ) to show that they are within the required limits.( not more than 8 dioptres ) If I did not wear glasses then that would of course not be necessary B-)

The requirement for the D4 medical were revised, I think, about two years ago and I have seen others mention having to have a separate eye test but I have had two medical sice the revised spec. and have not had to.

Another change was that previously a certain standard of eyesight was required without glasses ( if they were worn ) but this is no longer required: only the standard with the glasses is required although the DVLA do, it seems, still want to now what the 'without glasses visual acuity actually is.

The leaflet INF4D , probably available online, has all the actual facts about the medical examination. Not sure about something? Read it, with or without glasses. :-D

I use 'Driversmedicals' too and paid £58 last December. ( I think that may be a slight variation according to geographical area ).

I do have a 'notifiable medical condition' and the DVLA will usually write to my own GP with a questionare after receiving my D4 and renewal application. At the last renewal they also required me to visit my own GP for a further 'medical' which transpired to just be a the short questionnaire filled in by the GP with me present. £120 paid for by the DVLA ( that's us, the taxpayers ). That £120 is why I use 'driversmedicals.com' every year.

The DVLA can take a couple of months or sometimes longer to re-issue my licence but it will then run for 12 months from the date of issue.

Harvey

I'm more than aware of what it says at the top of the form. How many doctors surgeries have the same eye testing equipment that can be found at an opticians. What can happen is you can present yourself for a medical at your GP practice and if he hasn't the necessary equipment will send you to an opticians for an in depth examination so you end up going back twice. To avoid this when I know that I'm due for my annual HGV medical I make an appointment at the opticians first and when it's been done I then go on to my GP. This new form has only been issued for a couple of years and as I've mentioned the first page (front) is solely for eyesight, or was the last time I received one. Talk about pedantry gee wiz! This site's going worse.

Hi Sophie, don't get so het up, when you inferred that what I said about renewals not needing a medical, but are just a tick list was "not true" I didn't take exception, just tried to point out that it was.

An application for a c1 of course does require a D4 filling in. Only trying to clarify the situation.

From other posts it is clear that folk are worried about this, I assume the doctors who do this every day for HGV and PSV drivers are well versed in the requirements. My local practise wanted £150 and I would have to wait a month.

I may want to increase my MH weight in the future, or even get a bigger one, it leaves my options open.

rolandrat - 2015-02-19 3:43 PM

....How many doctors surgeries have the same eye testing equipment that can be found at an opticians....

...present yourself for a medical at your GP practice and if he hasn't the necessary equipment will send you to an opticians for an in depth examination so you end up going back twice....

The requirement is for special equipment to measure the strength of the lenses in your spectacles if you wear them for driving, not special euipment for eyesight testing, which simply involves looking at a Snellen's Chart to see the smallest line you can read with each eye.

Most GPs will lack the special instrument (which looks a bit like a microscope) to rate spectacle lenses in dioptres. Doctors who do lots of HGV medicals may have this piece of kit but not the typical GP. If they don't you will be sent to an optician and probably have to pay a second fee, so if you wear spectacles to drive, ask when you book the medical if they have the requisite instrument. If you don't wear spectacles for driving there isn't a problem because any doctor should have a Snellen's Chart..

rolandrat - 2015-02-19 3:43 PM

I'm more than aware of what it says at the top of the form. How many doctors surgeries have the same eye testing equipment that can be found at an opticians. What can happen is you can present yourself for a medical at your GP practice and if he hasn't the necessary equipment will send you to an opticians for an in depth examination so you end up going back twice. To avoid this when I know that I'm due for my annual HGV medical I make an appointment at the opticians first and when it's been done I then go on to my GP. This new form has only been issued for a couple of years and as I've mentioned the first page (front) is solely for eyesight, or was the last time I received one. Talk about pedantry gee wiz! This site's going worse.

It is not pedantry to correct what you stated as fact when it is not. It may be a 'good idea' to do what you do but it is not, according to the D4 form nor in my personal experience of drivers medicals, necessary.

As I mentioned. I use the 'DriversMedicals' travelling doctors who do nothing but drivers medicals and so, one assumes that they know what they are doing and I have been using them for about 20 years with no problems.

Harvey

"

Quote....The DVLA can take a couple of months or sometimes longer to re-issue my licence but it will then run for 12 months from the date of issue. "

Mine lasts 3 years(wink)

But I'll tell you what: let's say (as regards the eyesight test) that you're both right'!

If the GP has the relevant and required equipment then the GP can do the test. If not the Optician/Optometrist has to do it.

This thread has gone really off the wall; The O.P. doesn't really understand what point he was making in the first place and hasn't clarified things since, and now people gone on to argue about eyesight testing machines and who can do the test.

The appropriate advisory forms are quite clear as to what's needed, and who can do what, and are freely available for download. That doesn't stop people having views about the DVLA requirements.

How about a change of subject and put an end to this thread?? Just a thought ;-)

Billggski, let us know how you get on with the medical when it is done. Not personal info. but how the medical was conducted with reference to previous comments in this thread, especially if you wear glasses...................and good luck with it.

Harvey

p.s. Sophie2. the 12 months is for my bus driving entitlement not my 'ordinary' licence.

Billggski - 2015-02-20 1:06 PM

Yup, just get the D46P and D4 for yourself from the DVLA and read it. Properly.

Except that you can't get a Form D46P until the DVLA computer prints one and sends it to you 56 days before your 70th birthday. There is no stock of these forms; I contacted DVLA to ask for one and discovered this.

If you need to apply for your licence renewal early (for example because you will be abroad in the run up to your 70th birthday) you can apply using a Form D2 instead, enclosing a covering letter to explain why you are trying to jump the gun. I got the impression that there would have to be a convincing reason and it shouldn't involve applying too early.

The medical form (D4) is a standard DVLA form used for all HGV and PSV medicals, so you can use one of those. The medical form will be considered valid for up to four months after the date on which the doctor signed it, which gives you some slack to play with. My birthday is in late June so I could plan to have the medical any time from the end of February but since I will be in UK in late April, that's my current plan.

Once you've seen this form you will realise it's long and complicated, so it will take a GP quite a while to work through it, so no wonder the fee charged is substantial. A solicitor or accountant charges a minimum of £200 per hour these days so a fee of £120 or more for the HGV medical examination doesn't seem to me to be out of proportion.

Getting an appointment with hgvmedicals.com at fairly short notice should be fairly easy but it would be sensible to request an appointment with your GP in good time so as not to be disappointed - and if you wear glasses to drive, ask if they have an instrument to measure the dioptres of your lenses. Taking along a copy of your spectacle prescription would make sense too because that should show the dioptres of each lens - although strictly speaking the GP is supposed to measure the lenses himself.

The medical form asks lots of questions about whether you have this or that problem and so going to your GP would have the advantage of him/her knowing from your records whether you have - but you can answer the questions which the hgvmedicals doctor, for lack of access to your records, would have to ask you about instead. If you have had any of the conditions listed on the medical form you should probably go to the GP for your medical to save time because otherwise DVLA will almost certainly delay issuing your licence to contact the GP for the details anyway. If time isn't important by all means take the cheaper option and go to hgvmedicals.

Billggski - 2015-02-18 4:03 PM

Sorry to be a pedant, but that's what I originally said, I was just responding to someone saying I was wrong and you needed a medical for a normal renewal.

I knew exactly what you were saying, I will be in the same posistion in 18 no 14 months time (Where did that go Indeed !) , For the 'hard of understanding' I will be 70 years of age, I drive a Motorhome that is 4250 kgs fully loaded, and tow a car that is 1040 kgs. SO, to carry on as I do now, I will need to have a Medical, (same as Billggski) and provided I pass, I will need to foward the results, along with the application to keep all of my present License Catergories which will include C1+ E, I also want to hang on to my Full (unlimited) Motorcycle License Category, just in case I fancy another Triumph Bonneville before I pop my clogs.

Thanks for the 'Heads up' for a 'Cheap' GP who can do it.

Not hard to understand at all. (IMO) Ray

Luckily I only need glasses for reading, so no problems there.

Archived