Warranties

Corky 8

Hello I,m a bit Naïve on this subject , all my Warranties have always come with the Vehicle and I have never renewed them due to the conditions of not only annual service ( which is always done by the relevant dealer) but the annual Habitation check required , is something I,m not always in agreement with  due to the varying standards of Checks supposedly carried out. that said .My Motorhome meets all the required Conditions so after a phone call from the Warranty providers who supplied the Warranty which has just Lapsed ,I agreed to take out a years Warranty on Mechanical and Electrical repairs. I was given a discount of £50 so paid £299.00. on receiving my Warranty documents I noted Claims are restricted to £1000.00 per claim , I cannot find any restrictions on the number of Claims allowed. "Is this a Good Deal" or just standard Practice,  ?

After market warranties are a minefield with some being good and others dubious and what you have seems normal but maybe they have a range of options and claim limits that they did not mention.

If the company has a website that might tell you a bit more?

In my experience they do seem to look for a reason not to pay out first before agreeing, although to be fair once agreed there has never been an issue.

The payout usually does NOT include the cost of diagnostics which to me is a bit of a mean spirited cop out as diagnosis can be expensive at times but correctly applied can save them money by avoiding needless work?

Personally I would not be happy with a claim limit of £1000 as a catastrophic engine or transmission failure would cost a lot more than that and that surely is the point of protection?

I guess you pays your money and takes your choice but it might be worth asking if they do a plan with a higher claims limit of say £4000 perhaps with say a £500 excess so that you are protected from major bills and they are protected from minor claims.

How does it work abroad - might be more hassle than it's worth?

Personally I would carry the risk of a £1000 bill myself and put the £299 in the kitty just in case to reduce it to £701, but that's only a personal view!

Hi, as a matter of interest, the much vaunted 3 year warranty offer on vans from Marquis, are fine in first year, but fall to 1000 pounds in second year, and 500 pounds limit in 3rd year..

I am debating whether it is worth paying for full habitation check to keep warranty valid for second year..habitation check and service mot etc costs come close to warranty limit..is it worth it I wonder..

mot obviously has to be done, but habitation checks to see ifgas works, electrics ok and damp check can all be done by myself..not convinced the expense is justified, just to ensure any fault up to 1000 is covered..

comments welcome.

tonyg3nwl.

tonyg3nwl - 2015-02-19 7:20 PM

Hi, as a matter of interest, the much vaunted 3 year warranty offer on vans from Marquis, are fine in first year, but fall to 1000 pounds in second year, and 500 pounds limit in 3rd year..

I am debating whether it is worth paying for full habitation check to keep warranty valid for second year..habitation check and service mot etc costs come close to warranty limit..is it worth it I wonder..

mot obviously has to be done, but habitation checks to see ifgas works, electrics ok and damp check can all be done by myself..not convinced the expense is justified, just to ensure any fault up to 1000 is covered..

comments welcome.

Completely agree!

The Marquis 'warranty' is (or used to be?) also dependent upon you having the van hab service carried out by a VAT regd NCC approved company at the end of both years one and two!

For full details follow the link.

http://www.marquisleisure.co.uk/system/asset_management/assets/assets/000/006/602/original/Marquis_Motorhome_18102013.pdf?1385737747%22

The best warranties I have ever had have never been insurance backed but have come from the supplying dealers themselves for either 3 / 6 12 months depending on what they offer or how hard you can push them when dealing!

Shall I tell everyone my experience of a warranty from a major dealer in Shropshire, or the impressive completed PDI inspection check list when I first picked up the van.............................. :-(

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you need to have any servicing or repairs done by a Fiat dealership to keep your warranty from new, as long as it's servicing is done by a recognised approved garage and the habitation check done by someone in the industry that meets the required qualifications to carry out the checks and repairs and that service books stamped.

I realise that Corky's don't come under the above because he's talking about after market warranties. I had one of those and came to the conclusion that they were not worth it.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2015-02-19 7:54 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you need to have any servicing or repairs done by a Fiat dealership to keep your warranty from new, as long as it's servicing is done by a recognised approved garage and the habitation check done by someone in the industry that meets the required qualifications to carry out the checks and repairs and that service books stamped.

I realise that Corky's don't come under the above because he's talking about after market warranties. I had one of those and came to the conclusion that they were not worth it.

Agreed - but detailed invoice or not, I do have to wonder how easy it would be to convince any Fiat dealer that the service had been done to their 'standards' using approved materials, especially in case of problems abroad?

Personally for the sake of saving some cash I prefer to have the first and second services done by a main dealer and get the book stamped and then from year three find somewhere better and less expensive.

Know what you mean Rich, but how many times do folk come on here and say that they have a 100 mile trip to their dealer to have a service or a repair done when at the end of the day they might have someone round the corner who are qualified and approved to work on the van.

If the work has been carried out correct then surely Fiat will accept that. 8-) :D

I agree with you about the 1st service and hab check.

Dave

My Hymer motorhome warranty worked well enough, even though I bought through Bundesvan; I had a broken switch, phone Bundesvan, he got one from germany and posted it to me, since I had voluntered to fit it, otherwise he would have arranged a repair locally. There was another little something, otherwise all well so no other claims.

But in order to maintain the 6 year watertight integrity warranty, I had to have an annual damp check by an official Hymer Dealer, which meant going to HymerUK (i.e. part of Brownhills) in Clifton. Not too far for me but they charged a rip off rate - I think it was about £150 and twice what I would have been charged in Germany or Belgium. This is eight years ago. They didn't seem to record any details about the checks they did. Presumably they did wander around with a damp meter. I gritted my teeth and paid up. HymerUK were as awkward as possible about fixing a date too because I hadn't bought from them; deliberately and openly uncooperative. (I felt no sorrow for them when they went bust.)

In year four I stopped to think. The MH lived in a garage for most of the time and it turned out that the warranty covered water ingress only at panel seams, nowhere else. It was extremely unlikely I would ever claim and so I stopped having the annual checks.

Sometimes warranties are not really worth much at all, especially if there are expensive conditions attached. I've never been convinced that the insurance-based warranties sold as optional extras are worth much.

Archived