Caxton changing to Mastercard

hallii

The only place we have found difficult to use cards is Germany. Many people do not trust cards in general, so there is a much higher use of cash there - perhaps a legacy of the 1920s? Many shops only take cards only issued by local banks, but most petrol stations and all cash machines will take visa and mastercard.

StuartO - 2015-02-20 5:58 PM

I use a Mastercard and these days UK Mastercard and Visa cards both work in the 24 hr unmanned pumps in the fuel stations in France.

Including pre-paid cards? . Thought there were issue with Caxton Ukash ete on auto pumps?

hallii - 2015-02-20 3:59 PM

I have a Caxton FX card (Visa) and it will change to MasterCard at the end of the month.

Having never used a MasterCard in my long life I just wondered if it is as well accepted on the continent as the Visa cards?

H

We have had a CaxtonFX Euro card for five years now. Two years ago it changed from Mastercard to Visa which we found was not accepted at self-service filling stations in Europe whereas the Mastercard was.

We have not been informed that it is changing back to Mastercard so they are leaving it a bit late.

You get a new pin code with a new card, we did not realise and caused a bit of confusion in France until we sorted it over the phone.

Here is a copy of the important bit of the email :-

"Summary of Main Changes

The replacement card is provided under the MasterCard scheme, rather than Visa.

The MasterCard is issued by Valitor hf. rather than R. Raphael & Sons plc.

A single MasterCard can hold up to 15 currencies.

Out of zone currency conversion has been reduced from 2.75% to 2.49%.

ATM balance enquiries are now available throughout the European Economic Area. A fee is charged, please see the T&Cs for further details.

As you have a Caxton FX Visa currency card that is due to expire at the end of April 2015 we will automatically send you a replacement MasterCard. This will replace all Caxton FX currency cards you hold, whenever they expire. You need take no action at this stage if you’re happy to convert, you will receive your new card by the end of April 2015."

My card expires end of April so it might be that as the card expires they do the swop over?

H

If as Cliffy says, you get a new card and pin number (which will be sent to your home address) it begs the question about how those of us who are abroad and will not be home for a couple of months are going to cope with what could be an invalid Caxton card.

I have just checked my mail and there is no advice from Caxton about this change

John

Cliffy - 2015-02-21 10:20 PM

Hallii

It sounds like you have a Global Traveller Card rather than a Euro Card The terms and exchange rate are different also.

Cliffy

Nope, it's a simple Euro Card at the moment, so when I get the new one it will be a load more currencies.

Mine does expire when I am away, Caxton tell me to go online and get a new card, then ring them up and they will manually switch any funds over. I said I would prefer a card sent early but that is not possible I was told.

So I will use it until it runs out (and spend all the € that are on it) then I will have a look around for maybe another sort of card.

H

I have the Caxton Euro Cash Card (Visa) which, as has been said, is changing to 'Mastercard' when the existing card comes up for renewal. Mine isn't until next year, however I can still use it and have done so several times as I am in Spain at the moment. When you log in to the Caxton Web Site or 'App' if you have the (Visa) card then you log in one way, if you have the new card you log in another way.

• 2 weeks later...

Not as straight forward as I thought to renew my card.

Card runs out end of May and we leave early May. Asked to send us a new card and told that is not possible. Had to apply for a competely new card which came through last week. Emailed them and said would they transfer the euroes over to my new card which they did. Logged on to find 0 in my account. Spent ages trying to log onto the new card with my ID..... no good. Finally after lots of emails had to phone them and log in via my email not ID. when I look at rate now it says this is for £800 which is deceiving as less than £800 load is 1.35. It is a lot different to the last time I used it and not sure if its really giving the best rate anymore as my Halifax Clarity converts to a better exchange rate when used.

Any views on the new card?

Chris

• 1 month later...
Sophie2 - 2015-02-20 7:44 PM

StuartO - 2015-02-20 5:58 PM

I use a Mastercard and these days UK Mastercard and Visa cards both work in the 24 hr unmanned pumps in the fuel stations in France.

Including pre-paid cards? . Thought there were issue with Caxton Ukash ete on auto pumps?

There is. The reason, unmanned petrol pumps do not pre-check the card so if it is a pre paid card with no overdrawn allowance they will reject it. I have been using a pre-paid Fairfx card for three years now and an unmanned pump has never yet accepted it, I keep trying though and have my own bank card if it does not work.

Well, I now have my Caxton MasterCard, decided to top it up today so I had a look at the rate €1.3485, not bad.

When put in my £500 to check the amount of euros I would get the rate is lower, they don't tell you that until you actually check. Con trick or what? So beware, the headlne rate they show is not the one you get, unless you are changing £1,500 or more.

Time for a new card methinks.

H

We have the new card and I tried to load £500 onto it and the website decided to revert to the default amount of £800! Bit of a shock as I wasn't sure I had that much spare in the account!! I did but I still had a moan to their Customer Services as I either did something wrong or the computer glitched and caused the change.

You can not use SMS to top up the new card, you have to download their App, so you need internet to use it. Not ideal :'(

Caddies104 - 2015-02-22 5:46 PM

Hi

We have used the pre loaded cash passport (master card) while in France, ok except on tolls which always seemed a problem, no idea why!?

Derek

Thi is due to the fact there is no credit allowance such as on a normal credit card. The toll machine looks for this, and when ti does not see it, will reject the card. However, I have used a pre paid card on a French toll booth successfully once, but it did not work the next time, so maybe just lucky. The same reason applies to trying to hire a car or book a hotel as a 'deposit' is added to your card, and deducted on return.

tugga - 2015-05-08 3:09 PM

You can not use SMS to top up the new card, you have to download their App, so you need internet to use it. Not ideal :'(

That is only for the first loading of the new traveller card, after that you can do it via SMS, phone or online, the app is a new service and i haven't tried that yet.

hallii - 2015-05-08 2:41 PM

Well, I now have my Caxton MasterCard, decided to top it up today so I had a look at the rate €1.3485, not bad.

When put in my £500 to check the amount of euros I would get the rate is lower, they don't tell you that until you actually check. Con trick or what? So beware, the headlne rate they show is not the one you get, unless you are changing £1,500 or more.

Time for a new card methinks.

H

That puzzles me! Are you sure about that? I've had a Caxton Card for several years and have never had such a problem. I've gone through their website, t and c's etc with a fine tooth comb. There's no reference to different rates for different amounts. I've put in several "test" amounts and checked against the "headline" rate and they's always tallied. On every occasion over the years that I've loaded the card I've always checked the calculation and always had the correct amount.

Are you perhaps mixing things up with the "Business" currency card for employees which may be a different Rate? Have you contacted Caxton, complained, and given them chapter and verse and quoted figures?

Very strange indeed, and if you are correct, worth pursuing with Caxton

Archived