Is it Travel or Breakdown Insurance?

StuartO

One of the scenarios I would like covered by insurance is if I suffer injury or illness while abroad (not necessarily involving an RTA) and need repatriating, and therefore so does the motorhome. The travel policy will bring me home and probably the OH as my companion too, but what about the motorhome? There's been no accident or breakdown but would either travel or breakdown policy cover bringing the MH back for me?

There was a thread recently on whih someone posted that their insurer had refused to provide a driver simply because the wife has a driving licence and was covered to drive the MH back. I didn't fancy that happening so I contacted my insurer, LV, with whom I have both travel and breakdown policies.

The travel people confirmed that they would bring me back if necessary but repatriating the motorhome wasn't within the scope of their policy - but they gave me a contact in the breakdown department. They replied as follows: " I can confirm that the European cover is exactly like our UK cover, and in the instance for illness/accident we would provide a relief driver and repatriate the vehicle if necessary." That's exactly what you want to hear, isn't it?

Insurers seem to vary in their cover of this sort of scenario, so you might want to ask yours.

And, if you don't want the argument over whether your wife could drive it home, just don't include her on the insurance. It may put the premium up a bit, but even if it does you will both have that bit greater peace of mind.

My only question is did you get LV to point you to where in the policy it says these things (or did you get them to confirm in writing?), and are you convinced that it actually says what they say it says? I have very limited faith in what people tell one over the 'phone. As you say, they told you exactly what you wanted to hear. I'd want to read that for myself, in a document that unarguably came from the insurer.

ADAC provide repatriation of the vehicle with their partner plus policy. I have just renewed mine for the 3rd year at a cost of £87.

See http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/leistungen/default.aspx?ComponentId=8862&SourcePageId=7693

for info if you can read German the relevant section is the second one down. "Fahrzeug-Rücktransport"

I have a full translation in word format if anyone wants a copy sending please PM me.

I have read that ADAC are not taking on new membership but I have heard people say that they were taken on recently.

Archived