TV cable through motorhome wall

Steve H

Folks

I wish to purchase a freestanding satellite dish and tuner and therefore need to pass the cables through the motorhome wall. I recently purchased a Maxview Weatherproof Socket model B2008, but I'm not wildly enthused by the quality of the product.

Before reluctantly commiting to drilling through the wall in the appropraite places I wondered if forum members are aware of a superior product on the market before I fit this.

Thanks!

Hi, When I was doing a similar job i put the cable through an existing hole in the floor and fitted a bulkhead type fitting on the chassis. Then when I wanted to use the dish I just connected the dish cable to this fitting which in turn put the signal to the decoder.

...I didn't like the idea of drilling through mine with the quality of plates available.

As I had a reasonably easy route inside the 'van to a locker door (the toilet cassette locker actually - though any other would do) I ran a coax to that point, and terminated it with one of these (leaving it sitting inside):

http://tinyurl.com/obg2r5y

(this is only a sample link - lots of sellers on ebay)

When I want to use the dish, I simply feed the flat connector through the locker door, and then close the door on it, connecting the dish to the outer end.

It can always be used as intended by feeding through a window every time you want to use it, but that's somewhat less elegant or convenient.

Has worked fine for me for some years, and avoids any drilling (at least through the outer wall).

I do the same as RobinHood but through the locker door under the bed. Simply flick the end back in when not in use.

Mine is a Status/VisionPlus part but was considerably more expensive than eBay! Link.

Keith.

PS You may need F plug to Co-Ax converters for some aerial installations.

Guest Peter James
I use 'Plumbers Mait', a waterproof non setting plasticine, for sealing lots of things like that, and find it works very well - and because its non setting its easily dismantled

pm750_1.png.d851cb3934ce4ff74d2458e9236ad509.png

We stick the cable out through a locker door and shut the door on it. We had a flat cable that is made for the job but it did not last the season so give up on it. If we get into a place where there is no room to put the dish out we pull the cable in and put it out through the Heiki roof light and use a sucker mount for the dish on the roof it is a bit dodgy in high winds but it works pretty well.

Hi

You will find a way in via the floor. The gas locker will have open air vents towards the ground. You may be able to find a way from the gas locker into the van. Otherwise I would rather put a hole in the floor than the van wall. A hole can be drilled through the floor and a threaded pipe can be fitted together with the appropriate mastic to seal the pipe with the floor. I did this next to an outside hatch and had a coiled coax from the TV point to the hole. I plugged the hole with a cork when not in use but when needed I dropped the coiled coax through the hole and connected to outside dish via an F female - male - female connector. Some dealers tend to put an F connector in the electrical input box and have the internal cable run to the TV point. This is fine but space is restricted and difficult to connect to.

The threaded pipe I used was a plastic toilet fitting which had a large flange at one end and a large flanged nut at the other. Served the purpose great.

Hope this helps. As others have said it is possible to use any of the various input boxes with the appropriate sealant without any problem. The box is reasonable and the correct sealant is brilliant and will not leak.

Cheers Art

Archived