Satellite domes

DonB

Could anyone give me the pros and cons about different sat domes? I have always carried a tripod system and know about the reduced footprints now. So what I would like, unless you know better, is one of the larger domes with autoskew and twin LNBs. Any info much appreciated.

Don't you mean dishes?. You won't get much in Southern Europe these days with a dome O/K in the UK though. The dish inside them is too small.

We have the 40cm dome. Depends on what you want to view. We can get Skynews CNN BBC world news down in southern Spain. We like to see the F1 GP races, can get those on the "German" satellite, and you

can get some english speaking channels as well

The advantage of a dome is that it does not move in heavy winds, disadvantage, you have to position yourself away from tress , in line of site. My OH has now got very good at finding the right place to pitch !

It's nice to catch up on news, but if you must watch Tv take plenty of DVD's along

PJay

Not sure you are likely to get much help because dome systems are changing all the time and only a few of us will gain experience of operating more than one of them.

I bought ours about 5 years ago (from a company which has since stopped trading) and fortunately it has worked remarkably well and is much more convenient that the tripod system I used to have. It's a Tracvision and I think it has a 40cm equivalent aerial dish inside, single LNB and no skew adjustment, so modern standards it is a pretty basic system.

But it works remarkably well and we have got signals when I really didn't expect to do so - eg sometimes through trees etc. Before the footprint shrinkage we got domestic UK channels reliably on the south coast of France and going East we lost some of them as we got to Munich. Never been to Spain. Most difficulty getting a signal has been on British camp sites where you seen to find yourself more often surrounded by high trees.

Since the footprint changed we have still been perfectly OK in the Loire Valley but we've not yet been further South or East. I expect we will still get Sky News well away from UK as we used to but not the UK domestic channels like BBC and ITV.

As you will see from the other thread I'm not convinced that a bigger dish or skew adjustment adds much now that the footprint has shrunk, apart from a bit of extra range at the edges of the reduced footprint. My basic system, which I chose at the time because of an overriding need for a low profile, so I could still get the MH into the garage, has worked out very well. I've taken care not to bash it on tree branches etc because the dome is pretty thin but so far it has stood up well to use.

Hi

We have the Dome that came with the Van, and is very good in the UK and halfway down France, after that forget it... Is easy to tune in and gets loads of free stations, enough for us anyway, just make sure you have no big trees close to you to the south.. Just needs a little forethought when choosing your pitch.. And a compass...

We have a Camos 'Auto Seek' Dome, have used it in UK & Europe. Good enough for Northern Europe for UK programmes (France, Germany, Holland etc). No good for normal UK programmes in Spain though, although we adjust satellites, in Spain we tune to Hispasat or Astea 1 and pick up the English speaking News programmes as mentioned in an earlier pist e.g. BBC World News, CNN and even a French News channel (in English). However, if you get WiFi you can get UK TV programmes via 'Film On' or 'You Tube'.

Hi,

We also have a Camos dome (no auto skew) with about five preset sats and it works fine - certainly beats our last two Alden dish systems for finding whichever sat we have asked it to find and we can use it in all weathers as well.

Once the dish has found the sat you can switch off the power to its control box and still get a picture on your tv. With the Aldens once you turned off the power the dish would be automatically brought down so if you were just using battery there would be a drain either way......

Works well on the UK and most of France but in Portugal and Spain you will have to settle for sky and bbc news etc on one if the other sats as others have said.

Good luck

The wind can be a problem with dishes on very rare occasions. However, if you have a PVR with programmes on you can still watch them with the dish down.

We've got a few box sets downloaded from Sky ready if needed on a rainy day.

We did however, get all UK channels on our 85cm auto skew Mecatronic dish, on the Italian riviera, and pay channels including ITV 2-4 HD, More4 HD etc south of Sienna.

derek500 - 2015-02-24 12:21 PM

...We did however, get all UK channels on our 85cm auto skew Mecatronic dish, on the Italian riviera, and pay channels including ITV 2-4 HD, More4 HD etc south of Sienna.

Presumably that was before february last year, when the reduced footprint for UK domestic channels was introduced.

StuartO - 2015-02-24 12:39 PM

derek500 - 2015-02-24 12:21 PM

...We did however, get all UK channels on our 85cm auto skew Mecatronic dish, on the Italian riviera, and pay channels including ITV 2-4 HD, More4 HD etc south of Sienna.

Presumably that was before february last year, when the reduced footprint for UK domestic channels was introduced.

No, last October.

even on a small dome, anyone who is a sky subscriber (and brings their sky box and viewing card) will be able to get the pay movies and sports all over France and a good way intô Spain.

we had a Camos flatsat which i skewed myself, and we got all our subscription channels in Bennicassim, nr Valencia.

obviously, no BBC/ITV there except over wifi using Filmon.

We have a Maxview dome which has stopped working after nearly 4 years. We have traced the problem to the PCB in the dome but trying to get Maxview to tell us if they can supply a new board is like pulling teeth. Anyway, enough of that. When it was working it was great as far down as South coast of France then it was unstable. We are in Portugal at the moment and we could get Sky News, Pick, Pick+ and Community Channel without altering the Satellite. If they weren't so expensive we would have another one.

we have a dish 85cm from mecatronic, the reason..my installer said that the domes had a tendonsy to get condensation inside the dome and water / electronics don't mix ..whether this is true i don't know..he might have just wanted me to buy a more expensive piece of kit *-)

jonathan

silverback - 2015-02-25 1:45 PM

we have a dish 85cm from mecatronic, the reason..my installer said that the domes had a tendonsy to get condensation inside the dome and water / electronics don't mix ..whether this is true i don't know..he might have just wanted me to buy a more expensive piece of kit *-)

jonathan

Your installer was correct, when they took the dome top off there was lots of condensation.

• 1 month later...

Archived