solar panals advice wanted

stuartg

I want to install a solar panel on my small 2 birth camper.I have a limited space to install. All 80/90/100 watt panels are too wide. I normally use lights.water pump. 12 volt TV and sat box. Would a 50/60 watt panel be OK. I would like to charge engine and leisure battery . Can panel be made to your own measurements

Have you changed your light to LED? Water pump will consume a lot so keep your usage down. What is the power consumption of tv etc? To charge both batteries "automatically" you will need some form of controller and hopefully somebody can assist. Not aware of any panels " made to measure" , sounds like "Burtons" but imagine it would be expensive.

Is it a pop-top, or fixed tintop? I have a Vivaro Hi-top and have managed to get 2 x100 watt solars up there, there are handy roof-rack points they are attached to. Could you get one 100 watt cross-wise? Mine charges the LBs and works the compressor fridge year-round, we never bother to turn it off, we're very pleased with it.

Search for "portable solar panel" on EBay and you will get lots of options. I saw a 100watt panel, with regulator (which is important) for about £135. There was an 80 watt panel for only £21 but no regulator - buy you could buy one separately. You would have to find somewhere to store it in your MH but they are not heavy. I would guess that 80 watts would be enough for your needs.

Archived