Dash SatNav

rogher

...depends what you want to pay, but this particular unit has been decently reviewed on here recently, and the link is a VERY good price (compare with others on the web).

http://www.sparesworld.co.uk/Clarion-NX502E-Double-Din-All-in-one-Unit.html

It is possible to buy an add-on DAB302E unit to give DAB reception, and the inbuilt IGO Primo navigation software is (IMO) the best.

Note, Clarion supply without a cage or brackets, so a separate fitting kit tailored to your vehicle is required.

IMO, for that money (£399 is a steal - it's a 2012 model but still listed on Clarion's website, and currently on sale at £650 to £680 at many dealers) the Clarion is far better value than the Blaupunkt models, and uses the same (IGO) navigation software.

(Subject, of course, to the specs meeting your requirements).

Compared with what we pay for our motorhomes and for some of the other accessories we buy, £400 or even £800 or more might be acceptable for a dasboard satnav, which usually has the advantage of neatness and a big screen.

But you become a captive customer for purposes of updating maps and in other ways you can be more restricted than if you buy a separate satnav, like a Garmin or TomTom. For me the crucial thing is to be able to pre-plan the route at home on the computer and then downoad it to my satnav. I like being able to mix motorways and more scenic roads, rather than always taking the fastetst or most direct route from A to B, which is what satnavs calculate for you.

I bought a Garmin Nuvi last year for under £100 and it came with all Western Europe and free lifetime map updates and about a five inch screen - big enough anyway. Unfortunately I then discovered that this model doesn't allow you to download pre-planned routes (or I have yet to work out how to do so) so I also carry an older Garmin unit which does. Having two satnavs also means you have a spare on board - and satnavs can fail, and have done on me whilst we've been away.

Mounting a satnav which is supposed to stick on the windscreen can be problematic in a MH, especially with an A Class where the windscreen is a long way forwards. I mount mine on the dashboard, either on a bean bag or on a mounting pad attached to the dashboard with its sticky pad.

...though I haven't tried it, I understand it is relatively easy to carry out PC route pre-planning (though on-line rather than off-line) for IGO/Primo.

In outline, using Google Earth, you place pushpins for waypoints on your route, title the overall route and waypoints as you wish when creating them, then save the results as a .kml file (an option in Google Earth - and note that it uses .kmz by default).

Then copy that .kml file into "\content\userdata\route\" on your IGO/Primo device, and you have a loadable, pre-defined route using those waypoints named as you wish (IGO will route you between the waypoints in order when you load the route).

If it works, it couldn't be much easier.

I'll have to give it a try. ;-)

For anyone who uses IGO/Primo. the following link is now somewhat out of date, so the detail is slightly different, but it outlines the principles of the above, and some other fundamentals of using POIs.

http://sancho.hu/files/blog/download/NNG/NavNGo_iGO8_working_with_KML_v22Feb2008.pdf

....and, for anyone who is interested, I've just tried out the above-detailed route-planning on Google Earth and transferring it to Primo (admittedly with a fairly trivial route), and it works like a dream.

Very, very, easy.

(once I'd found the "load route" option buried in the menus. ;-) )

We have just installed the Clarion, an amazing piece of kit and we are really pleased, we paid £399 as well from Sparesworld. we needed a fascia kit which came with fixing plate, and also an extra lead to keep the blue and me installed tucked out of the way, we ordered these from Dynamic Sounds

Lynne

Ive been using this X3000

for a couple of years now its absolutely excellent , and because im using it all the time im aware of its presence and therefore im driving quite safely [ i hope ] , so lets hope that the mere fact that more people are using them means we have safer drivers on the road . :-S

OOPS sory wrong thread :$ :$

Archived