Provence, France

Mingthemerciless

Hi Martin

Welcome to the forum, you have chose a great region to explore, we were there last year and really enjoyed it. Cannot give a route at present as away in the van and need to check on pc, but if you get chance go for a Kayak down the Ardèche was the best experience ever... We stayed at Les Blaches campsite, right on the river, which was in the Camping Cheque book..

Sure others will give you info soon, but enjoy the trip

I can recommend the municiple campsite at Monteux, not grand facilities, fairly basic but cheap and very friendly. The first time we stopped for 1 night but stayed for 11. It's right in the town and also central to other delights, you can catch a bus to Avignon for 6 euros or so. Also close to the mountain and the Rhone vinyards are fantastic.

I would not recommend the campsite by the bridge in Avignon, but the way. I've stayed there a few times and did not feel safe.

As for the route, we always go from Calais on the free motorway that goes to Lille, then across to the Champagne region where there is a selection of really good aires, then down to an ACSI site at Annecy, which is well worth a visit. Then across to the the old route to the sun (can't think of the road number offhand), via Montelimar etc. We prefer not to use the payage, since it can get too busy at peak times, a number of times we've driven alongside the motorway on the old road with little traffic, and the motorway was at a standstill. Paying all that money to sit in a traffic jam! I think not.

I can recommend some of the aires should be interested, don't want to make this posting too long with unnecessesary info.

Tea Cup - 2015-02-23 10:32 AM

/>I would not recommend the campsite by the bridge in Avignon,

We've stayed in that site, agree it is a bit run down, but felt safe, and handy for the crossing over to the town. We also stayed in another one further down the same road, opposite the OLD Bridge, and there was then a boat that took you over the river. The French where camping outside the camp sites, so maybe if you want to try that?

Lovely part of France plenty to see and do, enjoy

PJay

PJay - 2015-02-23 11:13 AM

We've stayed in that site, agree it is a bit run down, but felt safe, and handy for the crossing over to the town. We also stayed in another one further down the same road, opposite the OLD Bridge, and there was then a boat that took you over the river. The French where camping outside the camp sites, so maybe if you want to try that?

PJay

Agree, bit rundown but felt as safe there as any site.

If its early summer ,you can use an ACSI discount card at the site.

Also an aire next to the bridge into town if you are looking for quick visit

Thought that the atmosphere in the town come the evening was smashing.

HWO

Provence, great place to visit, do not miss the Verdon Gorge. The campsite by the bridge at Avignon is fine and handy but personally would not bother, Avignon is one of the most overrated places in France. Decent ACSI site just outside Mousters St. Marie, another really nice place to visit, called Camping St. Jean. Municipal site halfway along the Verdon Gorge called Le Grand Canyon, ok and good base for the gorge.

PJay - 2015-02-23 11:13 AM

PJay

If this is the site that you mean http://www.campingbagatelle.com it's OK as a base to explore the area and the terrace of the restaurant has beautiful views of Avignon as the sun sets. Avignon may be over-rated but it's still worth a visit. Fontaine-de- Vaucluse nearby certainly is, very busy and the Fontaine itself is a real let down. Mt Ventoux is worth a trip up but not if there are clouds on top unless you are a Tour de France enthusiast.

Mingthemerciless - 2015-02-23 8:38 AM

I'm thinking of taking my motorhome to Provence this summer. Does anybody have any experience of motorhoming around Avignon, best route Calais, Aires to use enroute & best sites.

My motorhome is Burstner, 6m long.

"Best" route from Calais is very dependent on preferences. Best for what? First decision, do you go east of Paris or west. East, using autoroute via Reims, Troyes, Dijon and Lyon is boring, IMO, and expensive. But if you want to save time, it would be about the quickest. West, via Rouen, Chartres, Blois, and Vierzon will get you to the free A71 through Clermont-Ferrand and then via Ales to Avignon. So slower and can be done completely toll free. But, so many roads routes in between. Decide you priorities and apply to map. They are few really bad routes in France, especially if you use the more minor roads (as long as you don't mind roundabouts! :-)).

The Bagatelle site in Avignon has long had a somewhat variable reputation for sucurity. I much prefer the municipal Camping le Pont d'Avignon (GPS N43.95673 E4.80193). It is further to walk, but not an unpleasant stroll, and I haven't hear of any problems. A good alternative, though further again to walk, is Camping Municipal la Laune at Villeneuve les Avignon (GPS N43.97059 E4.79879) which is still walkable, but adds Villeneuve to the mix. Both good, well run, sites.

Its been ten years since we last used the municipal Camping Le Pont D'Avingnon. We needed to do some washing and they had the most impressive gas fired dryer, The works were visible including the flames.

For us the whole point of travel is to see the countryside do we rarely use the main roads stopping at a mixture of aires and sites that we plan on a day by day basis. If stuck there is usually somewhere out of the way in a village to park up overnight. Often there is a car park by the leisure or sports center, if there is an adjacent bakery so much the better.

See attachment for Verdon Gorge.

Its been ten years since we last used the municipal Camping Le Pont D'Avingnon. We needed to do some washing and they had the most impressive gas fired dryer, The works were visible including the flames.

For us the whole point of travel is to see the countryside do we rarely use the main roads stopping at a mixture of aires and sites that we plan on a day by day basis. If stuck there is usually somewhere out of the way in a village to park up overnight. Often there is a car park by the leisure or sports center, if there is an adjacent bakery so much the better.

See attachment for Verdon Gorge.

266520045_verdongorge3.jpg.bfa0f3a7ed3e4a5e321a9e68f7bf9db5.jpg

Like Brian, we've used Camping Municipal la Laune at Villeneuve les Avignon a number of times but last year it seemd to be going down the nick. I get the impression it is now a privately owned site. Cost €20 per night in June 2014.

The Gorge du Verdon is definitely worth the drive under the overhanging rocks! The D23 road off the main road D962 that runs to the North of the gorge is worth a drive as it gives some magnificent views over the gorge. Note that the D23 is one way in part so to travel the circular route you need to enter it East of La Palud-sur-Verdon.

An unusual and interesting village to visit is Trigance N 43.76018 E 6.44159, there is a small Aire but level parking is a bit tricky. Overnight parking with EHU was €5 in 2014.

• 1 month later...

If you visit Verdon a visit to Trigance is a must.

It is considered on of the most beautiful villages in France and the aire in the town is ideally located to explore the town.a

Please bear in mind that the roads around the gorge are very narrow in places and you are very likely to meet buses which expect motorhomes to give them right of way (one side a rock face and the other side an abyss!).

If you prefer a camp site along at a beach I would strongly recommend the Camping Agay soleil in Agay which is right next to a beach and close to shops, restaurants etc.

You will have to book early as it tends to get fully booked up very quickly. The site will not accept big rigs!

There are a few good camp sites at the coast in Le Dramont.

Most other camp sites in the Var tend to be further from beaches.

I have lived in that area for more than 10 years and I have found it to be friendly and hospitable.

Archived