Denmark to Norway

I was wondering which would be the cheapest crossing, from Denmark to Sweden/Norway. I am looking at the ferries and also the bridges trying to work out what would be the cheapest way to cross one way single. Hope to cross in May one person and a VW T5, plenty of time so no rush. Has anyone done this trip hoping to head far north of Norway, any help or tips would be appreciated.

We did the Harwich to Denmark ferry ( now gone ) and drove to the Swedish / Norwegian border , my wife should have the itinerary, I'll dig it out !

Great trip but the weather was poo and we times the visit too early ( nearly everything was shut tourist wise )

....the Bridge tolls (for which, with a T5, I think you will fall into the lowest class on both bridges) can be found here:

http://uk.oresundsbron.com/page/948

http://www.storebaelt.dk/english/toll-charges

...which I make €47 and €33 respectively.

(and whilst the date looks like 2013 on one of the pages, I think this is the latest).

The cheapest ferries are probably those from Hirtshals to Larvik or Kristiansand: the fares are variable, depending on crossing and demand, and the cost can be determined by clicking on the appropriate link on this page:

http://www.colorline.com/crossings

....and doing a test booking.

For your size of vehicle, I suspect the bridges will be somewhat cheaper (and have the advantage of not having to be booked).

For the far North of Norway, I would suggest going one way (I would prefer up) in Sweden, crossing the border into Norway in the far North, and then bumbling back across the ferries in Norway. (progress in Norway can be very slow, speed limits in Sweden, and the roads, are more conducive to progress - and it's a nice country!).

Robinhood - 2015-02-24 10:07 AM

For the far North of Norway, I would suggest going one way (I would prefer up) in Sweden, crossing the border into Norway in the far North, and then bumbling back across the ferries in Norway. (progress in Norway can be very slow, speed limits in Sweden, and the roads, are more conducive to progress - and it's a nice country!).

I would agree with that.

There's a very good road ( E45 ? ) all the way up through Sweden - very little traffic once you leave the south - might not see another vehicle for an hour up north - so easy progress.

We went that way in May, some years ago, when there were lots of frozen lakes up north.

Arrived North Cape around end of May - then wandered slowly back down south through Norway - with a visit to the Lofoten Islands.

Arrived in the fjord district of Norway mid June when the roads were just opening up after being blocked by snow all winter.

Have a good trip whichever way you go.

;-)

Thank you for your kind help, there are so many ways to go bridge, ferries, and taking in the cost of derv on the distant ferries IE Frederikshavn, Its very confusing ( 80 year old pensioner) finding the most suitable crossing. Any way still working on it. I will be going one way as I am coming back via Finland and St Petersburg. Thanks again.

Archived