Newbie after some advice on engine size 2.2 or 2.8 when towing

gill16127

Hi, we are looking at buying our first motorhome. I've finally decided on berth, layout etc,. but as we will be towing a trailer and a race car my husband wants a 2.8 engine. The only problem is that this really reduces my options when looking. Can anyone offer advice on whether a 2.2 6 would easily tow a trailer and car and pull up hills, as this opens up a lot more options for me. Thanks

I would be a great help if you said what van you are looking at (especially weight, size, and how many passengers there would be), and the weight of the car plus its trailer. Without knowing this, it is rather a "how long is a piece of string" question.

Have you researched the plated towing limits for the vans that interest you, as not all vans with the same engine, on the same chassis, actually end up with the same towing limit after conversion to motorhomes?

Hi Gill and welcome to the forum

The 2.2 engine can easily be chipped to extract more torque and as you appear to be into performance engines for racing your other half may well have a better understanding of this aspect than many of us on here!

Much depends on the age of the van as bhp and torque did improve over the production life of these sized engines.

You can follow the links to whichever generation of van you are considering to find the power outputs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevel

Hi Brian

Thanks for the reply. The particular van I'm looking at is a Elddis Autoquest Peugeot Boxer 2200cc 6 berth. There would only ever be 4 passengers. To be honest I'm not too sure of the weight of the trailer, I believe the race car is around 450kg. I will go away and do my reasearch on towing limits as you've advised. Thanks Gill

I have a 2006 A Class Hymer, Fiat-based 2.8 JTD, MAM 3,900kg, towing capacity 1,600 kg and we tow either a car on trailer (1,400kg) or a box van (loaded to 1,600kg). This was the last year of the 2002-2006 generation of Ducato engines, which were superceeded by the 3.0 litre engine.

It was OK towing with the standard engine but it was much better after we had the engine remapped. There was noticably more torque, which is what you need pulling away from lights and doing hill starts whgen you are towing. It makes quite a difference not having to change gear so much for hills too. On most UK motorway journeys we can stay in 5th gear almost all the time.

Unfortunately gone are the days when you can simply assume that the cylinder capacity of an engine determines its power output and motorhome engine have gradually got more powerful over the yeasr even though the cylinder capacity has sometimes gone down. Hence 2.3 liter diesels are now being fitted to motorhomes which are heavier that ours.

So which engine you need will depend on which generation of engines you are choosing from and of course how much your MH weighs as well as how much weight you will be towing. Generally speaking motorhomes are underpowered, or used to be, so generally speaking I would suggest going for the bigger engine when there is a choice.

There are other consideration such a fuel consumption but motorhome do relatively low mileages, so fuel isn't a big cost - compared for example with depreciation, which dominates. Road tax for motorhomes is peculiar in that it's often a bit cheaper to be slightly bigger!

Gill,

If you follow on from Trackers link to this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato you will find that Peugeot Boxers from 2006 on only had a choice of a 2.2 litre or 3.0 litre engine. In other words the 2.8 was dropped at the end of the Mark 2 Boxer.

These had power outputs of either 100 or 120 PS (approx HP) for the 2.2 and 157 PS (155 HP) for the 3.0 litre.

One other thing to check is that you have the correct driving licence classes for the weight of the MH and also to tow a large trailer.

Keith.

Many thanks for everyone's response. Going to sit down tonight with the other half and discuss and research what everyone has suggested. Having also spoken today to some fellow racers who have motorhomes, it seems that the majority have 2.8 engines +. When we decided to buy a motorhome I never knew there would be so many factors to consider. I thought i'd have one chosen in a week, but it's taken me a couple of months lol. We are going looking again on Sunday, so hopefully I will find one.

Hello,

First of all you need to bear in mind that the 2.8 engine ceased production in 2006 so although there may be some late registered examples out there you won't find anything on a 2008 registration. The new shape known as X250 surfaced in 2006 although there won't be many of those around before '07. The later vehicle had a 2.3 engine which was available with 120 or 130hp and is just as good as the 2.8 was in most respects but there were some issues with a judder when reversing them which if you found one that had not been modified could be a bit of a nightmare when reversing with a trailer as well! The other option is the 3.0 engine which is in a different league altogether. The fuel economy is barely different to the 2.3 and there will be reserves of power and torque to spare.

One thing that I would look out for though is a 'Maxi' chassis. There are ordinary 3500kg chassis and a Maxi 3500kg. The maxi not only came with higher rated front and rear axles but also 16"wheels instead of 15", bigger brakes and firmer rear suspension. All of benefit when towing. Finally, the Maxi also has a lower final drive ratio which is far more suitable for towing than the standard set up.

If the vehicle that you are looking at is based on an Al-Ko chassis then the suspension and wheel size differences will not necessarily apply but the gear ratios will.

My pick for a towing vehicle?

2006 Ducato Maxi 2.8JTD or 2008 Ducato Maxi 3.0JTD

But then i don't drive a camper; i just fix them!

Nick

gill16127 - 2015-02-24 1:16 PM

The particular van I'm looking at is a Elddis Autoquest Peugeot Boxer 2200cc 6 berth

Hi..

Not a towing related response but as you mention 2008, then I would advise you to have a look at these threads:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Corrosion-of-body-work-on-Elddis-Autoquest-100/32495/

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/ELDDIS-AUTOQUEST-2010-ALLOY-CORROSION-AND-WOOD-ROT/33446/

:-(

Hi again Gill,

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here and suggest that (if it where me) I would be looking for a Rear Wheel Drive and NOT a FWD to tow anything the likes of a car on a trailer.

My suggestion (note: suggestion) is you look for a RWD Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter or Iveco based MH.

I'm sure (IIRC) even Nick (Euroserv) has recommended RWD over FWD for towing in the past.

Just my two penneth worth.

Keith.

HI All

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their advice. We've finally found one which we believe will suit our needs, It's a Bessacarr on a Fiat 2.8 Turbo Diesel. Going over this afternoon to sign the deal! Very excited.

Thanks again

Gill

Archived