Hymer Exsis T588

K9GYN

The following relate to reviews of the Exsis-t 588, but on the now-superseded Ducato X250 base vehicle.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Reviews/Motorhomes/Motorhome-review-Hymer-Exsis-t-588/_ch1_rw1427_pg1

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/30309-hymer-exsis-t-588

They ought to give you a reasonable ‘feel’ for the model, but you would be wise to check out an actual X290 version to see if Hymer has altered anything significant. Apparently Travelworld at Telford have one in stock

http://www.motorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes-for-sale/hymer/?gclid=CKnF9ano_MMCFUiWtAodDCYAPg

I’m sure UK motorhome magazines have all published articles about the Ducato X290, but a GOOGLE-search on "fiat ducato x290” and "fiat ducato x290 motorhome” (omitting the quotes) should give you plenty of additional reading matter.

Just in case you haven't ...

You can download brochures from the Hymer website. Watch the loading margin. Hymer is transparent on what they include when calculating what we would consider MIRO. Hymer vans in the UK come with some extras already fitted over the base version. Be careful as extras increase the price [£10k in the Practical Motorhome test] and weight; you might not want some of the items included in the standard 'packs'. You can also search to find Hymer dealers.

You can go on Fiat Camper's website to get an indication of what size engine you will need.

If you decide to make the long drive to Travelworld at Telford, give them a ring to ensure the van is still on show. They had a big sale push last week and may have sold it.

Hi Mate

I Just bought the x290 588sl from Belgium and imported it. Upgraded the engine to the 150. And I am very impressed overall. I have driven it over minor roads on the Pyrenees last week and Engine pulled great and quality is pretty impressive all over. No issues as yet, although i think my water pump may be stuck on, i just switched it off at the mains, need to recheck. maybe someone can offer me advice on that

Tom

If (as I believe is usually the case with Hymers) your motorhome’s water-pump is the ‘submerged’ type and located within the freshwater tank, it could be worth you checking that all the water outlets (hot and cold taps and the shower) are fully closed.

Nowadays submerged pumps are generally switched on and off by microswitches fitted to the water outlets and, if an outlet is open enough to trigger the microswitch but not open enough to allow water to flow through the outlet, the pump will continue to run until its main switch is turned off. Similarly, if there’s a problem with any of the microswitches so that the switch doesn’t close properly, the pump will continue to run until switched off.

If the water-pump is the pressure-sensitive type (located outside the freshwater tank) and won’t stop running, adjusting the pump’s sensitivity might help. Otherwise (unless there’s a drain-valve open or a damn great leak somewhere) there may be a ‘technical’ problem with the pump itself.

In both scenarios there will quite likely be a relay in the system through which 12V power will be provided to the pump, and a problem with that relay could result in the pump running continuously.

Resolutions should be straightforward for someone familiar with motorhome water systems who has the opportunity to see the problem demonstrated. Much harder to attempt a remote diagnosis...

No, the system works as Derek describes above. If the pump is running with all the taps turned fully off, it is most probable that one of the tap microswitches, or possibly the toilet flush switch, is stuck on. If you don't get this fixed the pump will burn out, as they are only designed to run submerged.

Archived