Dartford crossing

trickydicky

Bartonfolk - 2015-02-26 10:01 PM

We used the crossing a few weeks ago no problems or tailbacks. We paid online £5.00 per crossing www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge you can pay as a one off or open an account for regular travel.

How I understand it, you pay £10 up front and each time you cross they take the crossing fee out of it and I believe you get a discount on the £2.50 each way fee charged to those who pay each time they cross. The £10 you pay last indefinitely until it is used up.

You can still cross for free between 10pm and 6am.

Guest Had Enough

I opened an account and put a tenner in it. Went through a few days ago on our way to Folkestone and it noted our number plate and when I checked my account online it had deducted £1.67, which is the lower rate that account holders are charged.

We go through at least six times a year so it's worth it, but if it's a one-off journey you can pay up to midnight on the following day. Pay online or by phone.

Guest Peter James

As predicted, honest drivers get ripped off, whilst drivers of unregistered/foreign registered vehicles laugh at it, and already hundreds of thousands of journeys have not been paid for: http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11693731.Hundreds_of_thousands_of_Dart_Charge_journeys_go_unpaid_for/?ref=mr

Fake websites capable of scamming the tolls from honest drivers have already been set up: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/dec/20/dartford-crossing-toll-invitation-scammers

Guest Peter James
Cliffy - 2015-02-26 9:45 PM

the traffic news warned of long tail backs, I thing it was northbound.

If it was just a one off journey I would use the Blackwall Tunnel, or have a stopover in London and use one of the other crossings. But since its increased the traffic through Blackwall they are talking about tolling that as well *-)

We set up an account with ten pounds as we only us six times or so a year I checked the next day we had travelled and it was £1.69. We had a hire car on the return journey so when we got home I added this vehicle to my list with the account, I only just remembered this on reading this thread and got around to removing the car otherwise I would have been paying for strangers

Guest Had Enough

I agree, as an honest driver I'm definitely being ripped off. The last time but one it cost me two pounds and I queued for twenty minutes and then had to find the right change for the bin or wait for change from the attendant.

This time I queued for two minutes, sailed through and the tenner in my account was debited by only £1.67.

This is disgraceful, to whom can I complain? :D

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2015-02-27 8:42 AM

I agree, as an honest driver I'm definitely being ripped off. The last time but one it cost me two pounds and I queued for twenty minutes and then had to find the right change for the bin or wait for change from the attendant.

This time I queued for two minutes, sailed through and the tenner in my account was debited by only £1.67.

This is disgraceful, to whom can I complain? :D

Vehicle related taxes are already about six times what they spend on the roads so any toll is a rip off. Its even more so when other drivers can laugh at it. If you were a tax paying British haulier already paying far more in taxes than your foreign registered competitors you might understand.

Guest Peter James
They always claim they are going to recover money they have lost, so as not to lose face. Notts County Council still have Icelandic Bank Debt on their books at face value when its trading at 0.5pence to the pound. *-)

Have just paid, online, for my return journey, end of April. Cost £2.50 and is valid for a year and I found the online system very easy.

On the way home I will use Forth Bridge which is now and has been for some time, toll free. Crazy that in one part of the country tolls are abolished but at the other end millions have been spent to make collection of this tax more efficient.

Guest Peter James
shortcircuit - 2015-02-27 9:08 AM

Crazy that in one part of the country tolls are abolished but at the other end millions have been spent to make collection of this tax more efficient.

Its no secret that England is being taxed to subsidize Scotland, because the British Establishment didn't want to lose control of it in the referendum.

I can`t understand people who come on forums and complain about tolls like this.

If you don`t want to pay the charge then go the long way round.

I will only use it 4 times a year but i still set up an account with the £10 needed.

I now get the crossings for £1.67 each way instead of £2.50 you pay without an account.

Try drinking 1 less bottle of wine with your dinner and there`s your tenner straight away.

If you are lucky enough to find a 2p coin whilst scanning the gutters add that to it and you`ve 6 crossings.

Peter James - 2015-02-27 9:11 AM

Crazy that in one part of the country tolls are abolished but at the other end millions have been spent to make collection of this tax more efficient.

Its no secret that England is being taxed to subsidize Scotland, because the British Establishment didn't want to lose control of it in the referendum.

Please return all Scotland's oil taxes that you have squandered. ??

Guest Peter James
Southender - 2015-02-27 10:07 AM

I can`t understand people who come on forums and complain about tolls like this.

If you don`t want to pay the charge then go the long way round.

I will only use it 4 times a year but i still set up an account with the £10 needed.

I now get the crossings for £1.67 each way instead of £2.50 you pay without an account.

Try drinking 1 less bottle of wine with your dinner and there`s your tenner straight away.

If you are lucky enough to find a 2p coin whilst scanning the gutters add that to it and you`ve 6 crossings.

You are missing the point.

What are we paying Road Tax for?

This toll might be fair value if we hadn't paid for it several times already, if everyone was paying it, and if the collection system wasn't an open invitation to website scammers

Guest Peter James
shortcircuit - 2015-02-27 10:18 AM

Peter James - 2015-02-27 9:11 AM

Please return all Scotland's oil taxes that you have squandered. ??

They already have. Even on the Government's own figures England is subsidising Scotland to the tune of about £1200 per person per year. And that was when oil was $100 a barrel. The SNP estimate of £22bn revenues falls to about £1bn at todays oil price - look it up.

The English Establishment doesn't want to lose control of Faslane nuclear base - cost is no object when they are defending themselves and someone else is paying.

Guest Peter James
Best way to collect tax on vehicles is through fuel - cheap to collect, hard to evade (except for foreign lorries with huge belly tanks), and proportional to vehicle size and use.

We have an account which we started with £10 like many others and each trip costs £1.67 instead of £2.50. Going south there were no controls, we just drive through where the toll booths used to be so no hold-ups. Going north the toll booths are still there and were manned. We were held up a few minutes as there was a backlog of traffic between the booths and the tunnel entrance. But far quicker than the old system.

I am very pleased that each tip now only costs £1.67.

Guest Had Enough
Wills Wagon - 2015-02-28 7:36 PM

We have an account which we started with £10 like many others and each trip costs £1.67 instead of £2.50. Going south there were no controls, we just drive through where the toll booths used to be so no hold-ups. Going north the toll booths are still there and were manned. We were held up a few minutes as there was a backlog of traffic between the booths and the tunnel entrance. But far quicker than the old system.

I am very pleased that each tip now only costs £1.67.

When we went south on February 18th we sailed through as you did but we noticed an enormously long queue waiting to pass through the booths on the northern side. It must have been a mile long. I'm hoping that it was a result of an unusual occurrence such as an accident and will be easier when we return.

In my ignorance I thought that toll booths had been abolished on both sides. Does anyone know how long it will be before they're gone completely?

Guest Had Enough
dora_ex - 2015-02-28 7:58 PM

The barriers Northbound are only still there for traffic management / safety intothe tunnels until the new road lay out is completed - they just advise due to be finished Spring 2015 - no actual date as yet

Thanks, looks like I'll be queuing a few minutes when we return on March 22nd. :-(

Archived