Cycle Rack on tow bar

Bartonfolk

Guest Had Enough

Can't recommend them enough. I have a Thule Europower 916, which holds two heavy electric bikes. It is brilliant, it's steady as a rock and because it's lower than a normal rear-mounted bike rack it's easy to lift the bikes on to it. It's also much easier to put a cover over the bikes as there are no arms attached to the rear, which necessitate slits in the cover, and being lower makes it simpler to get the cover over.

You may have seen the video on this link but in case you haven't here it is, well worth watching.

http://goo.gl/mz5wD9

Guest Had Enough
mikejkay - 2015-02-27 1:02 AM

Does the hand of the bike nearest the van ever hit the rear of the van? What sort of clearance is there when static?

That depends on a couple of variables, the projection of the tow ball and the width of the handlebars.

On mine, the very wide handlebars of our Dutch style 'sit up and beg' bikes are an inch or so from the rear wall. On our last rear-mounted rack they touched the wall and could have damaged it.

However, I always twist the handlebars by ninety degrees so that they're parallel with the frames. This takes no time at all and reduces the total width of both bikes by several inches. It also makes it easier to slip the cover over the bikes.

It's important if you do this to ensure that you tighten them up very firmly, as handlebars suddenly becoming loose whilst riding can be dangerous. With most bikes it's a simple job that involves inserting an Allan key.

We also have the 916 and 2 electric bikes on the back. Each bike is 23kg and they are rock steady when mounted on the cycle rack. WE once did not see a speed ramp in the dark and hit it at 30mpg. (in my Nissan Navara) I got out to check the bikes and the had not moved.

Wh had no problems with the mars touching the back of the Navara but I still used to put a large thick sponge on the handlebar incase it touched the Navara. But I think twisting the bars is a better idea.

The rack is heavy at 19kg but it is solid. Highly recommended.

There are a number on eBay, and the Thule ones are very solid. I was tentative about how firm it would be when you are just tightening a nut onto a tow ball, but it's fine. And of course you can take it off and use it on another vehicle very quickly. The simple ones need a bike with a crossbar though.

Archived