PAT Testing for Motorhomes?

gdf

When I had the hab check on the van last week the dealer asked if I wanted a PAT Test on it as campsites are now requiring the van to have one. My response was 'No thanks - if a site asks for one I'll go elsewhere'.

Anyone else heard of this?

Dave

shortcircuit - 2015-02-27 12:01 PM

Your dealer is a chancer. Portable Appliance Testing. Perhaps an electrical test certificate for the MH, every 5 years (?) like we all have carried out in our houses :-D

Well the government are intent on creating jobs.

I suggest a test every week - that should give the government statiistics a boost.

;-)

Nonsence.

A MH is not a portable appliance. the only things that are in your MH is your kettle etc. Furthermore PAT testing requirements are for commercial properties such as offices etc not for domestic or indeed for vans. Never heard of any site asking for it and if they do tell em to stuff off and read the regs.

Words fail me.

gdf - 2015-02-27 12:48 PM

You all kind of echo my thoughts.

What I didn't add was that he said it would take 7 hours - with the appropriate labour charge!

Dave

They are having a laugh. You could build a flaming motorhome in 7 hrs let alone PAT test it.

hi

he was def. trying to rip you off! I do all the pat testing at my school as I am the school caretaker it takes a max time of 10 mins to test each appliance and that includes writing down the results! and that is portable only so does not include anything that is fixed down and I have never heard of anyone being asked for such a test at any campsite as it only covers commercial premises where the public may come into contact with said appliances

pete

as an addendum

the only time as I see it where you would be wise to have things like kettles etc tested is if for whatever reason you hired out your motorhome which in effect it would then be a commercial premises and then the pat test regs. would come into force that would only apply to the van and not for using the campsite they would have their own pat testing done on their equipment

pete

gdf - 2015-02-27 11:38 AM

When I had the hab check on the van last week the dealer asked if I wanted a PAT Test on it as campsites are now requiring the van to have one. My response was 'No thanks - if a site asks for one I'll go elsewhere'.

Anyone else heard of this?

Dave

Dave please name and shame that dealer, folks like that do nothing but spoil the reputation of the good traders.

sorry to correct "stalwart" but there is a legal requirement to have all portable electrical items pat tested once a year after the first year from when It was purchased however recording that, is not. that is where "best practice "applies I should know, I have to test everything at my school each year and its very boring and time consuming! anyway 'nuff said about that.

you should report that dealer as he may try it on others who may not be as switched on (pardon the pun!) as you are

thebiker - 2015-02-28 9:05 AM

sorry to correct "stalwart" but there is a legal requirement to have all portable electrical items pat tested once a year after the first year from when It was purchased however recording that, is not. that is where "best practice "applies I should know, I have to test everything at my school each year and its very boring and time consuming! anyway 'nuff said about that.

you should report that dealer as he may try it on others who may not be as switched on (pardon the pun!) as you are

Sorry to disagree with your blanket statement 'thebiker' but there are no LEGAL rules only recommendations about the frequency. The details are here...

http://www.pat.org.uk/pat-testing-regulations/

and here..

http://www.pat.org.uk/pat-testing-frequency/

So maybe some of your school testing needs only to be done every four years depending on the equipment usage and again that's only to meet the recommendations.

To quote the HSE..

"The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently (ie they don't make inspection or testing of electrical appliances a legal requirement, nor do they make it a legal requirement to undertake this annually)."

All of this is worth noting by those who own equipment that falls within the description of Portable Apparatus etc. You no doubt get the phone calls from companies insisting that there are LEGAL requirements and you must comply etc are just scammers looking for trade.

Whilst I can understand the request from some people that I name the dealer involved not least to give some validity to my original post the purpose of that post was genuinely to find out if others had more info on the issue.

Although the dealer said that it was an NCC requirement/initiative and I was asked to sign a document to say I had been told of it but had declined the PAT test it does seem as if no one else has heard of it nor can I find a reference to it on the NCC website.

Aware of the implications of naming dealers on any forum I'm not going to do this but will say that if anyone who is considering using a dealer in the North East of England wants to know then contact me with a private message.

Dave

Rod_vw - 2015-02-28 9:27 AM

thebiker - 2015-02-28 9:05 AM

Sorry to disagree with your blanket statement 'thebiker' but there are no LEGAL rules only recommendations about the frequency. The details are here...

http://www.pat.org.uk/pat-testing-regulations/

and here..

http://www.pat.org.uk/pat-testing-frequency/

So maybe some of your school testing needs only to be done every four years depending on the equipment usage and again that's only to meet the recommendations.

To quote the HSE..

"The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently (ie they don't make inspection or testing of electrical appliances a legal requirement, nor do they make it a legal requirement to undertake this annually)."

All of this is worth noting by those who own equipment that falls within the description of Portable Apparatus etc. You no doubt get the phone calls from companies insisting that there are LEGAL requirements and you must comply etc are just scammers looking for trade.

Exactly

As I said pat testing has become the accepted best practice way of testing but only portable as in plug top appliances in commercial premises come into the category.

I don't know what all the arguments are about. PAT Testing is NOT required by any statute of law. But is recommended if the equipment is in a vehicle used for hire, purely to comply with any public liability insurance that will be required. Period.

I would question the testing of "plug top appliances" as many are not portable. If an appliance does not move and is connected to the supply by a plug top why would you test it? I would image hire companies would avoid supplying portable appliances, kettles, toasters etc to negate the need for PAT testing.

Rod VW, you beat me to it. I was just going to put in writing some of what you have stated. All that you have written is true as in the IEE Code of practice 3rd Edit.

I will just add to make it clear that some fixed appliances do come under the testing regime such as water heaters and wall heaters, even if they are on a switched fuse. They need to be disconnected for the test to be done.

I do Pat as part of my Electrical business and have never been asked to do a Motor-home or camper van. It would only require it if it was a hire vehicle, and then only the contents.

The nearest van I have done is a Burger type selling refreshments.

Clive

gdf - 2015-02-28 12:51 PM

Although the dealer said that it was an NCC requirement/initiative and I was asked to sign a document to say I had been told of it but had declined the PAT test it does seem as if no one else has heard of it nor can I find a reference to it on the NCC website.

Aware of the implications of naming dealers on any forum I'm not going to do this but will say that if anyone who is considering using a dealer in the North East of England wants to know then contact me with a private message

Dave

Being curious(as I've heard this discussed before)I emailed the NCC

http://www.thencc.org.uk/contact_us.aspx

... and this is has just come back (I haven't include an EIC pdf , which they also sent)

-----------------------------------------

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for your enquiry.

PAT testing would only apply to ‘Portable’ appliances ‘in’ or ‘around’ the work place.

NCC do not have such a requirement/initiative. I don’t suppose you know which dealer has made this statement so I can carry out some further confidential investigations?.

The only electrical testing other than that included in a habitation service that workshops may offer would be Electrical Installation Condition (EIC). The Electrical Safety Council recommends caravans should undergo periodic testing at least once every three years and the two consumer Clubs endorse this view – an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) is issued following completion of the test. Testing is not, however, compulsory.

I have attached some further info for your reference.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

XXXXXXXXX

AWS Manager

-------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it...... ;-)

As I said before, a 'rip off Britain' dealer.

I appreciate the OP not wanting to name the dealer but would you worry about quoting supermarket A being more expensive that supermarket B? To me it's a very similar scenario so let's all know which dealer to avoid.

Archived