Freestanding TV aerial

Frank Beevers

We have an Elddis motorhome which has a built in "rubber duck" type aerial on the roof with a built in booster. This works fine when the signal is good but if the signal is poor no reception at all. I bought an Avtex digital aerial that has a rubber sucker that sticks to the window but I put mine on a pole at the rear of the van but I could not get a signal so I returned it and got a refund.

Has anybody found a freestanding aerial multidirectional or directional with a signal finder that actually works and is reliable?

Thanks

Frank

Hi Frank,

I use one of these (mounted to the cycle carrier)...

http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/image-620-digital-antenna-system.html

and one of these signal finders...

http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/vision-plus-tv-signal-finder.html

and have never yet failed to find a signal.

I also use this website...

http://www.ukfree.tv/prediction

to find a compass bearing for the nearest transmitter.

A combination of the two methods has always worked (and I've helped a fair few others on site get a signal as well!)

Keith.

Frank Beevers - 2015-02-28 12:10 PM

Thanks for this info Keith. I did look at this aerial and thought it might be difficult to set up as it is directional but with the signal finder it would make it a lot easier. Do you know if it has a signal booster built in to the aerial?

Frank

If you want the best chance of getting a signal you need to use a directional aerial, you can use a domestic one but this may mean having to make your own brackets so that it is easily removable for when on the road.

Frank Beevers - 2015-02-28 12:10 PM

Thanks for this info Keith. I did look at this aerial and thought it might be difficult to set up as it is directional but with the signal finder it would make it a lot easier. Do you know if it has a signal booster built in to the aerial?

Frank

Frank,

No it does not have a signal booster built in, but I have never had a problem finding a signal.

As I said I get a bearing from the website I posted and use an orienteering style compass to set approximately then use the signal finder to fine tune. This has never let me down although on a couple of occasions our aerial has pointed in a different direction to others (when I couldn't get a signal by following the others, explain that).

Keith.

Frank Beevers - 2015-02-28 4:21 PM

We often camp in a farmers field miles away from nearby houses but even if you are near houses what happens if you arrive on site in the dark? I would prefer a more reliable way especially with the new Formular 1 season about to kick off, but thanks for the tip

If you usually camp on farms and away from high trees to your South, then an automatic satellite system will be the most reliable as well as convenient option - but of course they do cost money.

If one of those is outside the budget then a portable external broadcast aerial (available from many caravan accessory shops) will give you the best signal available in an area, and by far the cheapest, but you do need to rig it up and align it each time you pitch up.

But a good quality omnidirectional aerial with a signal booster gives pretty good results and that won't break the bank.

StuartO - 2015-02-28 4:55 PM

Frank Beevers - 2015-02-28 4:21 PM

We often camp in a farmers field miles away from nearby houses but even if you are near houses what happens if you arrive on site in the dark? I would prefer a more reliable way especially with the new Formular 1 season about to kick off, but thanks for the tip

If you usually camp on farms and away from high trees to your South, then an automatic satellite system will be the most reliable as well as convenient option - but of course they do cost money.

If one of those is outside the budget then a portable external broadcast aerial (available from many caravan accessory shops) will give you the best signal available in an area, and by far the cheapest, but you do need to rig it up and align it each time you pitch up.

But a good quality omnidirectional aerial with a signal booster gives pretty good results and that won't break the bank.

If you want F1 live satellite is the way to go, either with a Sky digi box or fta BBC/RTL. Around £600 to £700 will see a cheap auto dish system plus you will need a box, then f1 is available across most if not all europe, but you may need to brush up on your german for some areas.

Archived