Insurance for the aged

Pete-B

Guest Peter James

My experience is that most companies won't accept new customers over 80 years old, but will continue to insure existing customers over that age.

My 91 year old mum is insured with Aviva in this way, but it costs 4 times as much to insure her in her little car as it costs me to insure my maxi van - even though we both have maximum NCD. So I tried to find a better quote for her online - this is the only one I found who would insure her at all: http://www.swinton.co.uk/car-insurance/ - but the quote was about the same as she is paying now.

Peter James - 2015-03-01 9:10 PM

My experience is that most companies won't accept new customers over 80 years old, but will continue to insure existing customers over that age.

Agree with you Peter , can't get a new quote over 80, but will carry on insuring you if you stay with same co

Just renewed our van insurance, and asked that question, as Oh will be 80 next year

PJay

Guest Peter James
PJay - 2015-03-01 10:26 PM

Peter James - 2015-03-01 9:10 PM

Agree with you Peter , can't get a new quote over 80, but will carry on insuring you if you stay with same co

Just renewed our van insurance, and asked that question, as Oh will be 80 next year

PJay

I don't know if the over 80's are more likely to have accidents. Even if that is so I doubt if its the reason to refuse insurance because they can just whack up the premium to reflect the increased risk as they do with young drivers.

I suspect its more to do with their business model. Which is to reel new customers in with low premiums, then increase the premiums at renewal time and hope the customer doesn't notice and shop around. If the customer is over 80 they probably won't be renewing their insurance enough times for the company to make any money from inflating the premium at renewal time?

Probably more likely to be health issues. Having said that , we have lost several friends over the last few years some of whom where only in the late 50's., so health counts more than age, IMO. Technically it is an offence to discriminate age/sex/religion etc

PJay

A problem I can see on the horizon is that I have been insured for the van with CCC for some years, but they don't insure for cars.

They may continue to insure me for the van after 80, but if I do sell it and buy a car I may not be able to get insured for that.

:-(

malc d - 2015-03-02 10:43 AM

A problem I can see on the horizon is that I have been insured for the van with CCC for some years, but they don't insure for cars.

They may continue to insure me for the van after 80, but if I do sell it and buy a car I may not be able to get insured for that.

:-(

Depending on your age now Malc, maybe you should consider moving company sooner, rather than later. We insure van with Safeguard, who where the ones that told me about the 80 age. I believe they do cars as well. OH car been with Saga, but are about to change to Ford (as it is a ford) Mine is with RIAS, as is the house insurance PS Safeguard came up with the best deal on van £200 less than caravanguard

PJay

HI, Thanks for the great response. The reason I asked is. I've sold my last van and waiting for delivery of a new Bessie, early May I hope. I was insured on the last one with Saga at a very good rate which I think was somewhere about £325 fully comp with breakdown and recovery and European cover, I'm 77 so I guess that's not too bad, or is it?

I'm assuming there shouldn't be any trouble insuring the new one with them but it's a just in case question.

Archived