Hymer Exsis 562 replacement headlamp

Barryrj

I am looking for a replacement left hand headlight for my 2008 right hand drive Hymer Exsis 562.I am waiting for a UK hymer dealer to phone me, but wondered if anyone has one for sale or can offer any suggestions regarding a repair! The glass is shattered which I guess was caused by a stone.

Thanks,

Barry.

I met a chap on an Aire in France who has suffered road damage to a headlight on a Hymer of that sort of age and he had been quoted 900€ for a replacement from a Hymer dealer! I gor the impression these headlights are unique to Hymer and you can't get them anywhere else. You might want to think about making an insurance claim.

You’ll see from the following discussion

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/hymer-exsis-1-headlights.97937/

that Hymer headlamp-glass failure is not unknown, with the suggestion being made that it’s not necessarily due to stone-damage. As the lights are (apparently) the same for LHD or RHD Hymers Exsis models, you MIGHT find that it’s cheaper to source a replacement headlamp from abroad.

Many thanks for your replies. I can confirm the price from UK Hymer parts suppliers is quite a bit over £1000. I have contacted my insurers and am persuing a claim, which at this stage does not appear to be an issue. Thanks again. Barry.

And that's why I doubt I'll ever buy a Hymer. We are should,we say more than a little comfortable financially but I hate being ripped off which Hymer tend to do. I take it as a personal insult that they think they can get away with it and that I would be stupid enough to be taken for a ride like that.

Barryrj - 2015-03-02 2:56 PM

Many thanks for your replies. I can confirm the price from UK Hymer parts suppliers is quite a bit over £1000. I have contacted my insurers and am persuing a claim, which at this stage does not appear to be an issue. Thanks again. Barry.

Barry,

Does this count as a glass claim and hence possibly have a lower excess and not affect your NCD?

Always worth asking :)

Keith.

Colin Leake - 2015-03-02 7:18 PM

And that's why I doubt I'll ever buy a Hymer. We are should,we say more than a little comfortable financially but I hate being ripped off which Hymer tend to do. I take it as a personal insult that they think they can get away with it and that I would be stupid enough to be taken for a ride like that.

The Hella headlamp units that are being discussed here are (as far as I’m aware) bespoke and unique to Hymer. ‘Style’ usually costs and - while I’d also be peeved to be asked to pay so much for a light-unit - it’s not that I would have been unaware of the asking-price when I obtained the Hymer motorhome.

There has been forum discussion in the past about the vulnerability of these units’ glass fronts, with the suggestion that Hella intended to use a tough polycarbonate material instead of glass - but that hasn’t happened.

However, Hymer isn’t alone regarding expensve replacements for parts that one might reasonably expect might suffer damage. All A-class motorhome ‘bus style’ mirrors and windscreens are likely to be wallet-emptying to replace and there’s little that one can do to protect them. And, moving to the much more mundane, Nick Fisher (euroserv) recently warned that the asking-price of a ‘stylish’ LED DRL-equipped headlamp for the current Ducato X290 approaches £500.

DON'T MOVE.It happened to my 2010 Exsis,I rang Travelworld,who are now agents, they requested details and fitted a new unit FOC. There was a design fault with the units, but only the left hand side ones.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-03-03 9:11 AM

Colin Leake - 2015-03-02 7:18 PM

The Hella headlamp units that are being discussed here are (as far as I’m aware) bespoke and unique to Hymer. ‘Style’ usually costs and - while I’d also be peeved to be asked to pay so much for a light-unit - it’s not that I would have been unaware of the asking-price when I obtained the Hymer motorhome.

There has been forum discussion in the past about the vulnerability of these units’ glass fronts, with the suggestion that Hella intended to use a tough polycarbonate material instead of glass - but that hasn’t happened.

However, Hymer isn’t alone regarding expensve replacements for parts that one might reasonably expect might suffer damage. All A-class motorhome ‘bus style’ mirrors and windscreens are likely to be wallet-emptying to replace and there’s little that one can do to protect them. And, moving to the much more mundane, Nick Fisher (euroserv) recently warned that the asking-price of a ‘stylish’ LED DRL-equipped headlamp for the current Ducato X290 approaches £500.

All true. What maybe I should have said is I'd be unlikely to buy an A Class in general. Add to that the time it would be off the road in the event of a proper front end prang. I note the price of the DRL - equipped lights as mentioned by Nick which we have on our new PVC. Just have to hope we don't get it damaged.

Try contacting Edhe Hill Motorhomes. They are not Hymer dealers, but import them from Germany and seem to have very good contacts. Talk to Lee Broadhurst, as he told me in 2013 that he could gat the lamps (and windscreens) for less than Hymer dealers charge, and had one or two in "stock" at that time. They aren't cheap from any source, but I'd guess he'd sell at about the best price you'll get.

Please can I repeat there is a very strong possibility that this could be a warranty issue,I strongly suggest you investigate before going through insurers. I have a recall for my van concerning the fuel filler-6 years after I bought it. PLEASE RING TRAVELWORLD OR ANOTHER REGISTERED HYMER DEALER FIRST.

Over £1,000 for a headlight is mad. You wouldn't want to buy one of these Hymers second hand in a few years time. One minor accident and £2,000 for the headlights without any other repairs. It wouldn't take much to write it off.

I've got a vague idea that old Hymers had headlights from a Fiat Uno or Punto. I bet they were a bit cheaper.

Perhaps you could find someone from Max Power to tear their efforts away from modifying the lights on Vauxhall Corsas and build a replacement for a Hymer?

Peter

Yeti, many thanks for your advice. I worked in 'warranty, for a major vehicle manufacturer for many years and understand when and why certain items are covered outside the normal warranty period. In this case I would not expect them to consider a claim at 7 years even it there was a known fault. If it were a safety issue that may be different. Also I have contact a Hymer Dealer and although I did not specifically ask, for the reasons mentioned above, the Dealer was extremely helpful but made no suggestion that Hymer would assist in any way. Which is really what I would have expected. This is why we have insurance.

Again many thanks and I do appreciate your advice.

Barry.

Barry, I appreciate your experience and respect you for that. I had my unit fail after 3 years and it was replaced as a fault. Recently I had a recall notice for the fuel filler which will be dealt with later this month a soon as the parts arrive from Hymer. If you claim on your insurance what are you going to say caused the fault and what is your excess. Was you warranty work with a British car manufacturer? I have found that Hymer,apart from an extended warranty on the base vehicle do honour proven manufacturing faults irrespective of time. I would be interested to know the outcome from the insurer and how much your renewal premium will be.

yeti - 2015-03-07 10:48 AM

....... I would be interested to know the outcome from the insurer and how much your renewal premium will be.

It is this sort of scenario in which protected NCB can be valuable. Although you might imagine that an insurer will "get you back" somehow by means of increased base premiums or the like, in practice a claim for a headlight unit, even this expensive, is not going to be seen as a claim worthy of much attention.

I managed to dig a tree branch in the side of our MH and the bill was over £2,000 but there has been no discernible increase in premiums in the following years.

If a new Hymer headlamp costs (say) £1000 and Barry chooses to claim against his insurance policy, it’s likely that the policy’s excess will mean that he’ll still be paying a good percentage of the cost himself. His insurer will also treat this as a ‘fault claim’, as it won’t be possible to recoup the pay-out from a 3rd-party.

So it would definitely be worth exploring the route Yeti suggests even though, after 7 years, there might seem to be little realistic hope that Hymer would consider the headlamp breakage other than being due to external damage.

Protected NCB will only go so far, as explained here

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/car-insurance-buyers-guide-no-claims-bonus-explained

Derek Uzzell - 2015-03-08 9:25 AM

If a new Hymer headlamp costs (say) £1000 and Barry chooses to claim against his insurance policy, it’s likely that the policy’s excess will mean that he’ll still be paying a good percentage of the cost himself. His insurer will also treat this as a ‘fault claim’, as it won’t be possible to recoup the pay-out from a 3rd-party.

So it would definitely be worth exploring the route Yeti suggests even though, after 7 years, there might seem to be little realistic hope that Hymer would consider the headlamp breakage other than being due to external damage.

Protected NCB will only go so far, as explained here

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/car-insurance-buyers-guide-no-claims-bonus-explained

The crazing on my unit was brought to my attention by a neighbour. I rang Travelworld to enquire about the price of a replacement,they then suggested it may be a warranty claim. They asked me to potograph the back of the unit,without the rubber cover,I then emailed it to them and they ordered a replacement from Hymer and made an appointment for me to have it fitted all free of cost,nade,nowt!

I really appreciate all your comments, but I do not wish to comment further until I know for sure what my insurance company decide. BTW my excess is £200 and I have no NC discount! So not too much to loose considering. Regards, Barry.

yeti - 2015-03-08 4:48 PM

The crazing on my unit was brought to my attention by a neighbour. I rang Travelworld to enquire about the price of a replacement,they then suggested it may be a warranty claim. They asked me to potograph the back of the unit,without the rubber cover,I then emailed it to them and they ordered a replacement from Hymer and made an appointment for me to have it fitted all free of cost,nade,nowt!

I’m going to suggest that there’s a significant difference between your headlamp-related problem (which you’ve now said was crazing of the headlamp glass) and Barry’s situation ("The glass is shattered which I guess was caused by a stone.”)

There was clearly something visually wrong with your headlamp and it would not have been unreasonable to expect Hymer to replace the headlamp free-of-charge, particularly when this type of problem was occurring on other Hymers fitted with these lights and it was recognised as a design fault.

In Barry’s case his Hymer’s left-hand headlamp has survived (presumably) since 2008 and the glass is now shattered. I believe it would be difficult to argue that, after 8 years and (again presumably) with no sign of the crazing issue that your light suffered from, the reason that the glass broke was other than it being hit by a stone.

Having said that, having been told by you that there was a design-related problem with left-side light-units and that Hymer was prepared to replace units that were problematical, it would be commonsense for Barry to heed your advice and check with Travelworld.

Any insurance ‘fault’ claim (however small its value) will be recorded against Barry’s record and potentially result in a future rise in his insurance premium. Why choose to pay £200 and get an insurance-claim ‘black mark’ when there’s a possibility (however small) that Hymer might replace the light FOC?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived