HD Television & Blu-Ray

mikeymay

lazarus - 2015-03-02 8:52 PM

Any flat screen tv can be used either 12 volt or 240 I bought cheap 28 inch Polaroid from asda Tv works perfectly never understood why people buy the expensive cello or avtex stuff

Not sure it's quite as simple as that and if you go for a domestic TV which runs on a 12v tranformer there might be performance issues - simply because if you run it from a leisure battery delivering a bare 12 to 12.5 volts, the TV won't be getting the slighty higher voltage it would get from its mains tranformer.

We have domestic flatscreen TVs rigged to run off 12v in the MH and they take longer to come on when were running them just on the leisure battery (i.e. without EHU) and the sound takes longer to come on even after the picture appears. If the leisure battery gets run down the problem gets worse and eventually TV becomes unavailable. But overall it's OK, so don't let me discourage you - and our TVs are now 9 years old (and of course non-HD) so perhaps modern TVs are better. Domestic TVs will of course vary in their ability to run off 12 rather than 13.6 volts, so select carefully.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for the replies.

I am going to look at a standard HD TV and a cheap Blu Ray player to install.

For the price I am going to look at an inverter as well just to make sure there are no performance issues.

As some sites only supply lower amps from the hook-up would an inverter help?

I am wanting to use a spare Sky HD box in the MH as well but there is only one feed from the dish and the HD box has two inputs. Would this cause a problem and is itpossible to get a second feed from the dish to the box?

mikeymay - 2015-03-22 5:05 PM

Thanks all for the replies.

I am going to look at a standard HD TV and a cheap Blu Ray player to install.

For the price I am going to look at an inverter as well just to make sure there are no performance issues.

As some sites only supply lower amps from the hook-up would an inverter help?

I am wanting to use a spare Sky HD box in the MH as well but there is only one feed from the dish and the HD box has two inputs. Would this cause a problem and is itpossible to get a second feed from the dish to the box?

The two inputs on a sky box are so you can record one channel while watching another, also you wont be able to playback anything you've previously recorded. one input is fine just for viewing, use either input.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from three nights away with a standard 32" HD TV and a Sky HD box running. Didn't get chance to use the standard Blu Ray player but no problems were experienced.

We did have 16a hook up but we are doing a night away without hook up and I am curious about whether they will work or just drain the battery very quickly.....

Keith T - 2015-04-02 2:45 PM

Not sure what size TV screen you are looking for, but there is not much to be gained from HDD/Blueray for the usual 19" screen in a MH!

It's all down to viewing distance. Two times screen size is good for HD, so 3 feet from a 19" will have better definition than 12 feet from a 42", which is pretty normal in many homes.

HD on a 19" in our van is far superior to SD.

Archived