Free camping/Overnighting in Scotland

Paul M Who

You will come across 'no overnight parking' signs but their basis in law is questionable and in any case there isn't an army of officials driving around at night trying to catch offenders. Furthermore they tend to be in places in which you wouldn't want to stay anyway such as main road laybys and town or village centre car parks.

But it's not a problem as there are so many other places to stop anyway; we free camp in Scotland most weekends and have always found somewhere pleasant where we can be unobtrusive and not in contravention of any signage.

There are a few, very few, places where over-use has led to local restrictions. Two that spring to mind are St. Andrews West Sands in Fife and the dunes overlooking the beach airport on Barra in the Outer Hebrides, but these really are the exception. Other places you might want to avoid are the loch shores within range of the big cities as many of these are now fully occupied all summer long by fishermen and their encampments - Loch Earn is a prime example.

We usually have a few alternatives in mind, researched using Google Maps and Streetview, before we head off. Often these will be Forestry Commission walkers' car parks, nature reserve car parks, picnic areas, old harbours etc. but more than likely we find somewhere impromtu along the way. You'll have a great time; when we've been south of the border scratching around for places to stay we're always glad to get back north where it's all so much easier.

Paul,

there are plenty of places once you get away from the cities, especially in the Highlands and islands, just be discreet, and leave nothing to show that you have been there. For topping up water, emptying the cassette,doing the washing etc., there are also quite a few campsites around, stay one night,do the necessary, then be away again. My favourite areas are Morvern, Ardgour and Ardnamurchan really wild areas. and not 'right at the top' Parts of Dumfries and Galloway are good too, Have fun .

PS. be aware of the 'Highland Midge' a fearsome creature, and a lot more trouble than the 'Loch ness monster'. Avon 'skin so soft' keeps it at bay (a bit). ;-) Ray

Nine week round trip last summer, of which eight were spent over the border. Not a single campsite, all "wild camping", some really beautiful spots. Covered the mainland, both the inner and outer Hebrides, Orkney and Shetlands. The solar panel paid for itself.

I suspect that the anti "wild camping" brigade will be tutting in their tea.

mikejkay - 2015-03-03 12:35 PM

Nine week round trip last summer, of which eight were spent over the border. Not a single campsite, all "wild camping", some really beautiful spots. Covered the mainland, both the inner and outer Hebrides, Orkney and Shetlands. The solar panel paid for itself.

I suspect that the anti "wild camping" brigade will be tutting in their tea.

Well done - a great achievement - out of interest how did you source fresh water and loo disposal?

Rich,

On the Western isles at least, Most of the ferry terminals have a 'Black waste' disposal point and a fresh water tap, not yet been to Orkney or Shetland so don't know about them.

When we were at Cape Wrath (or as close as you can get) stayed on a CL, then Sango Sands Durness and Dunnet Head. Although 'Wild' there are traces of civilisation, and places to service the van, without leaving a mess anywhere. Ray

Cheers Ray - servicing the water on the islands were never a great problem for us but the mainland has always presented more of a challenge in the past and with the loss of public loos with outside taps over recent years it would, I suppose, make one even more reliant on ferry terminals!

We wild camp all the time as an English man living in Scotland, we have found tourist centres you can get water and use toilets and stay the night, which is very useful to know.

Try Mull to see the sea eagles. take in Tobermory.

Tracker, as I'm sure you know when you are in a motorhome you modify your behaviour. I was by myself which makes a difference. I made an effort to use publicly available facilities. Toilets in a garage, a town or a shop for example. Water was not a problem. I filled up usually at a garage or a quayside. Garages were happy probably because I filled up with water after I had filled up with diesel. I made sure that my fuel tank was kept topped up which meant that I made more stops than I might otherwise have done.

As a result of using the on board toilet infrequently I did not have to empty the cassette often. When I did I used 'proper' facilities such as those at ferry terminals or I used a public toilet. 'Grey' water disposal was more problematic. Where 'proper' facilities were not available I would discharge into a drainage gulley.

P.S. I was pleased to find that a lot of public libraries provided free wifi.

P.P.S. I heartily concur with the warning about midges! Non of the repellents that I tried seemed to work. They all vote SNP of course.

Archived