Just had my C1 medical

Billggski

To retain my entitlement at 70, it lasted all of ten minutes.......

The doctor was quick, efficient and clearly doing several lorry drivers a day. A brief tick list as I had no medical problems, heart, blood pressure, flexibility test and then reading an A4 opticians' chart.

If you are worried about it and considering downplating or changing your MH I wouldn't be concerned.

However, with the recent Glasgow accident I wonder whether an HGV or PSV medical should be more stringent, but that was a younger driver anyway.

£56, driversmedicals.com. Appointments around the country.

They seem to be set up for the hundreds of commercial drivers who need constant medicals for their licences.

My local GP is very busy, does these very rarely and you need an eye test, which some won't do. Sending you an optician at an extra expense.

Guest Had Enough
davidmac - 2015-03-05 9:02 PM

Hi thanks for that .I don't need mine just yet but list at my GPs says they want £115 which is a lot more than I ever earned for 1/2 hours work.

Regards David

But are you a highly qualified professional with huge ancillary costs?

Professional fees don't all go to the professional. A private doctor or lawyer may charge £200 - £300 an hour but a large proportion of that goes in expenses such as back-up staff, secretaries, receptionists. Then there's the cost of running the practice, rents, rates, telephones, computers, huge professional indemnity insurance fees etc. etc. etc.

I pay my gardener £16 an hour which, on the surface, seem high, but he's VAT registered, so actually gets just £13.33 an hour. Out of that he has to fund his van and his equipment and he gets no holiday pay or sick pay. If he isn't working he earns nothing and that of course applies to the same professionals we're discussing.

He can't work if the weather is vile or the gardens are covered in snow, as happened recently.

Sometimes the headline figure isn't anything like as good as you might think after all the other considerations are taken into account.

Hi I worked for 50 years 40 of them self employed, so I know all about tool, transport , training ,costs VAT man accountants bank charges waiting months to get paid, small claims courts but my rates were nearer to your gardeners rates than my GPs.

Regards David

P.S The surgery is paid for by the NHS private fees go straight to back pocket

Just had my over 70 "MOT" it's my third and cost £110 but before you guys say HOW MUCH it lasts for 3 years so hey £36 and a bit a year, but unlike the "other medicals" this was a proper medical which includes an ECG and a visit to the options which was free.

So before you go to these other medics for £55/65 ask yourself is it a proper and a reliable examination, did I think about it, yes I did, but decided for less than 71p a week it was a no brainer for a FULL MEDICAL with your own GP. :-D

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2015-03-05 9:45 PM

I pay my gardener £16 an hour which, on the surface, seem high, but he's VAT registered, so actually gets just £13.33 an hour. Out of that he has to fund his van and his equipment and he gets no holiday pay or sick pay. If he isn't working he earns nothing and that of course applies to the same professionals we're discussing.

£16 an hour and VAT registered? 8-) .................He must like paying tax (lol) ..........

Guest Had Enough
davidmac - 2015-03-05 10:32 PM

Hi I worked for 50 years 40 of them self employed, so I know all about tool, transport , training ,costs VAT man accountants bank charges waiting months to get paid, small claims courts but my rates were nearer to your gardeners rates than my GPs.

Regards David

P.S The surgery is paid for by the NHS private fees go straight to back pocket

But, as I said, are you are highly trained professional who spent at least five years at medical school and then many more working endless hours as a trainee junior doctor?

I only know what happens in my own doctors' practice as one of them is a friend. Cheques for any private work are made out to the practice, not the individual doctor. He is then paid a proportion. If you have four partners and one of them is making a lot of money on the side do you think that the other three, who are all contributing to the cost of running the surgery, would let him use all the facilities of the practice and keep every penny?

Many GPs have private patients as well as NHS ones and surgeries need an equitable way of sharing the income from such patients. I doubt that many doctors get the money 'straight into their back pockets' as there are very few single-doctor practices these days. Most have partners to take into consideration.

Single doctor practises are now banned after the Harold Shipman case, I wonder how much he would have charged!

I regularly have a full check up, ecg, blood test, prostate and so on for free, and a free eye test every year. the C1 medical is for a different purpose. Fitness to drive a large vehicle, so arm strength and ability to look over your shoulders were tested as well as the usual things.

Just lightening the load on the NHS rather than my wallet.

My experience when going for a driving medical the examination it was always after surgery hours where the doctor set aside one hour and booked in three drivers. the time he allowed was 20 minutes for the examination. This was two days a week when busy. The first time I needed one was when I was 45 and it cost £65 this lasted for 5yr. When you hit 60 it was for every 3yr and cost £110 and the last was £120 five year ago.

Dave

Archived