New motorome and DVLA

AlanS

We picked up our new AutoTrail Savannah on Wednesday this week and stopped on a site for 2 nights to check everything was OK before heading home.

When we arrived home today, on the doorstep was a letter from DVLA enclosing the new V5C (Vehicle registration document} showing our new MH being registered as from 04.03.15. Now that is what I call service - what has happened to them at the DVLA ? It will be interesting to see how quick they refund the road tax on our MH we part exchanged.

Alan

Guest Had Enough

I've had lots of dealings with the DVLA recently and they've been exemplary. I sold my last 'van before my latest one was ready. It had a personal registration number which I was advised to put on retention. I applied and it took less than ten working days.

I had occasion to phone for advice and when I'd gone through the usual menu items and been directed to the correct department the phone was picked up within a minute and the person on the other end couldn't have been more helpful.

Shortly after I picked up my new 'van I transferred my number to it. Once again it took less than two weeks.

The DVLA recently closed all of its regional offices and for a time there were teething problems. Your experience and mine shows that things have settled down and the service is now excellent.

I'm very fond of the system for paying my road fund licence, or whatever it's called this week, using the website. It's quick and simple and saves a lot of messing about and when we got a tax disc it came quickly.

Oh, just remembered, after I'd sold my last motorhome to the dealer from whom I'd bought it I got six months tax back! That was a nice surprise as I'd forgotten about the new procedure.

People enjoy slagging off the DVLA but I've nothing but praise for it now and for the people who work there. Those I've dealt with were polite and friendly.

We recently sold a car and bought another. The documents for new car arrived quickly, and the tax refund from the sold one also came back promptly, also Oh licence came back within days from Swansea, when it was renewed, so looks like they are getting better. Maybe the fact that they don't have to send tax discs out,is saving time?

PJay

AlanS - 2015-03-06 8:09 PM

We picked up our new AutoTrail Savannah on Wednesday this week and stopped on a site for 2 nights to check everything was OK before heading home.

When we arrived home today, on the doorstep was a letter from DVLA enclosing the new V5C (Vehicle registration document} showing our new MH being registered as from 04.03.15. Now that is what I call service - what has happened to them at the DVLA ? It will be interesting to see how quick they refund the road tax on our MH we part exchanged.

Alan

Alan,

Hope you enjoy your new Savannah as much as we have enjoyed ours over the last 3 years, we had a few teething problems, but now 'happy as larry' with it, we looked around this year for a possible replacement, but could find nothing better, than what we already had. Ray

Alan. Congrats on the arrival of your new Savannah.the 2015 habitation update is one level at least above the 2014 model. The X290 has some extras not on the X250 so you win there as well. If you get as much fun from your AT as we have in the last two months of touring you will be pleased with handing over your hard earned readies. Go forth and enjoy!!
Cheers Gary.

Just an update.

Got another letter from the DVLA this morning with all the official paperwork for first registration, e.g. Certificates of Conformity from Fiat and AutoTrail, First registration receipts for monies, number plate authority, etc. each one date stamped by the DVLA on 04.03.15. So they have excelled themselves and a big thank you to them.

Hi Gary and Ray

Thanks for your comments. To us it is just what we wanted now having fun putting anti-slip matting in cupboards, shelves, drawers, etc. recycled from our Navajo, and putting all our bits and pieces back in.

The X290 is such a different drive yet we thought the X250 was good. So smooth and the power take-up is excellent - only niggle I would say is that the instruments, MPH and Tacho with their new chrome hoods are not that easy to see as you look down on them, but I'll get used to it.

Alan

Alan, I agree with your comments on the instrument panel being hard to see. Not having had an X250 I assumed it was the Luton overhang that was causing the shadow over the speedo/tachometer. As Fiat do not have maps of Australia for the new Indash GPS the dealer substituted a Tom Tom that shows current speed so I am using that to set the cruise control. The police here are quiet strick on speed limits controlled with radar so correct speed is important. Interestingly the speedo is reading about 3 kph slower than the GPS. I assume the GPS is correct.
Cheers Gary

Geeco - 2015-03-07 10:24 PM

Alan, I agree with your comments on the instrument panel being hard to see. Not having had an X250 I assumed it was the Luton overhang that was causing the shadow over the speedo/tachometer. As Fiat do not have maps of Australia for the new Indash GPS the dealer substituted a Tom Tom that shows current speed so I am using that to set the cruise control. The police here are quiet strick on speed limits controlled with radar so correct speed is important. Interestingly the speedo is reading about 3 kph slower than the GPS. I assume the GPS is correct.

Cheers Gary

Garry

Not had a chance to check yet on the Savannah but our previous X250 was reading about 5 kph above that measured by 2 separate Satnav GPS's.

Our new one has the built-in TomTom and being a TomTom virgin not sure yet how it works or how to set it up !

Alan

Hi Alan, this is our first experience with a Tom Tom as both our cars have built in GPS. We do have a Navman that we use in UK/ Europe and I must say the Tom Tom is streets ahead of the Navman.This is possibly due to th age of the Navman now 5 years old. The Tom Tom is very intuitive and took no time at all to come to grips with the way it works. It even has "Karen" to guide me. We are old friends from my Navman days. My mate has "Svetlana" on his Garman and she is high maintenance, always telling him to go down back roads that lead to a flight of stairs in a little Italian village! Cheers, Gary.

Archived