Spanish site similar to Bonterra Park in Benicassim

sabino

Mike88 - 2015-03-13 8:02 PM

sabino - 2015-03-13 7:45 PM

Thanks Mike88

Only problem is, Benidorm isn't in Andalucia.

But thanks for the tip.

Your original post asked for sites south of Benicassim.

Sorry Mike88

I had assumed you were replying to the one you actually quoted.

Once again thanks.

The following is just my own experience and my own humble opinion.

We travelled through Andalusia in April/May two years ago and were generally disappointed. The ACSI sites are few and far between and not near the bigger towns. 

In Seville we stayed in a great Aire within a Marina at Gelvas. 10 mins by bus from just outside the gate to the centre of Seville. It had showers, toilets, electric hookup, Bar, Restaurant (both cheap and the food was outstanding) van washing, fresh water and waste dump. And stay as long as you like. Supermarket, garage and all the services you need just up the street on the way to town. The nearest campground is to hell and gone from the city and it over 40 years old.

I know because we stayed there 4 decades ago. 

Cadiz ACSI is across the bay and close to the ferry to the city. Its the nearest to town but its old and the grounds are poorly maintained on the low season. The village and supermarket are a 10min walk away.

At Gibraltar you have huge car park Aire with limited services in La Linea and the border crossing is just a short walk away. The nearest campground is miles away from the coast. Though a new Aire is being opened in a new marine complex next to the border.

Along the south coast there are a few ACSI sites that have good facilities but again they are not near major towns or other services. There used to be a campground right on the beach at Malaga but it is now a park. The nearest is Camping Torremolinas. This again is a 40 year old site in need of upgrading that was once surrounded by vacant land now its an island in a sea of low rise apartments.

We by passed the entire stretch from Malaga to Almeria after consulting ACSI and Google Maps.

The only camping ground that fits the bill is Los Jarales, half way between Marbella and Fuengirola.

There is a shopping complex with a Mercadona next door and a bigger SuperSol Supermarket a 5 min walk away. The beach is a short walk down the adjacent street. 

We only stayed one night as it was again surrounded by holiday apartments and the Autovia runs straight outside the entrance. You have to walk under it to get to the beach.

The entire stretch from Estapona to Motril is one endless corridor of high rises apartments and low rise townhouse complexes. Most of which are empty. Areas that were once camping grounds have either be sold off to developers or are stuck in the shadows of the surrounding buildings.

You would probably get a better deal staying for a month in a self serviced holiday let in town than a camping ground miles away, given the amount of empty ones in May and June.

Guest pelmetman
sabino - 2015-03-12 7:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

I somehow thought there would have been a lot more, especially in Andalucia.

All the best.

There is a shortage of good quality sites along the Southern bit of Spain, which is why we tend to stick to the Costa Blanca ;-) ..............

sabino - 2015-03-13 8:31 PM

Mike88 - 2015-03-13 8:02 PM

sabino - 2015-03-13 7:45 PM

Thanks Mike88

Only problem is, Benidorm isn't in Andalucia.

But thanks for the tip.

Your original post asked for sites south of Benicassim.

Sorry Mike88

I had assumed you were replying to the one you actually quoted.

Once again thanks.

I included mention of the original post but the one I quoted indicated that you were surprised there were not more sites especially in Andalucia. At no point did you specify you were looking for sites solely in Andalucia.

If you want a site in Andalucia which I can recommend it is camping Torre del Mar. It's across the road from the beach, a short stroll from the town and public transport into Malaga and a large supermarket around the corner. The site is not in the ACSI book but if you are a member you will be charged ACSI rates. The site is not quite as manicured as Bonterra but has a better pool and the toilet blocks have been recently refurbished.

There is also an ACSI site along the road but I would not recommend it.

Every one is quoting sites along the coast. There are places inland not necessarily sites, but could wild camp. I have a friend who lives very close to the Embalasie (Lake) de Negretti , about an hour east of Granada Very interesting area , with cave house houses and small villages, plenty of open land where I am sure you could camp overnight . There is also a site ACSI at Beas de Granada, up in the mountains.as others have said not a lot along the coast. Why not just wander around the Andalusia area, inland, fairly empty, but nice little villages

PJay

PJay - 2015-03-15 12:14 PM

Every one is quoting sites along the coast. There are places inland not necessarily sites, but could wild camp. I have a friend who lives very close to the Embalasie (Lake) de Negretti , about an hour east of Granada Very interesting area , with cave house houses and small villages, plenty of open land where I am sure you could camp overnight . There is also a site ACSI at Beas de Granada, up in the mountains.as others have said not a lot along the coast. Why not just wander around the Andalusia area, inland, fairly empty, but nice little villages

PJay

We are quoting sites along the coast because that was a specific requirement of the original poster. I agree that there is much inland to be enjoyed but this is not what the original poster has asked about.

With regards to KIKO we used it for many years and after the first visit booked a specific pitch a year ahead that way we knew we could get in and out OK. We are thinking of returning for a long winter stay and that make the "Grand Comfort" pitches affordable and they have good access.

The one thing that's holding us back is that we have heard that All the nearby restaurants are closed in the winter, in the past at least one was open, anyone know if that is still the case? I am excluding the site restaurant from this as it's top price for average grub.

Guest pelmetman
terryW - 2015-03-15 12:47 PM

With regards to KIKO we used it for many years and after the first visit booked a specific pitch a year ahead that way we knew we could get in and out OK. We are thinking of returning for a long winter stay and that make the "Grand Comfort" pitches affordable and they have good access.

The one thing that's holding us back is that we have heard that All the nearby restaurants are closed in the winter, in the past at least one was open, anyone know if that is still the case? I am excluding the site restaurant from this as it's top price for average grub.

There is a bar type restaurant on the entrance road which is quite good, and now they also have a pizzeria on the corner opposite reception ;-) ...............There is the expensive restaurant overlooking the marina where I had the worst meal ever in Spain *-) ........

Apart from that there's not a lot else open, which is why we prefer Calpe B-) .............

pelmetman - 2015-03-15 1:05 PM

There is a bar type restaurant on the entrance road which is quite good, and now they also have a pizzeria on the corner opposite reception ;-) ...............There is the expensive restaurant overlooking the marina where I had the worst meal ever in Spain *-) ........

Apart from that there's not a lot else open, which is why we prefer Calpe B-) .............

I have heard that the restaurant outside has changed hands since we were last there in 2012 and is closed in the Winter?

We are looking at Calpe but we have a small dog and I can't see that Calpe is a good setting for walking a dog from the site.. Otherwise that site would be high on my list.

terryW - 2015-03-15 4:36 PM

pelmetman - 2015-03-15 1:05 PM

I have heard that the restaurant outside has changed hands since we were last there in 2012 and is closed in the Winter?

We are looking at Calpe but we have a small dog and I can't see that Calpe is a good setting for walking a dog from the site.. Otherwise that site would be high on my list.

As I am sure Dave will tell you. There is plenty of grass areas around and behind the Calpe mar site

PJay

Guest pelmetman

Yes all the big pitches for 2016 had gone before we even got here in Jan ............

Fortunately we fit on a small pitch so have booked for next year already.....

pelmetman - 2015-03-15 9:00 PM

Yes all the big pitches for 2016 had gone before we even got here in Jan ............

Just shows how popular Calpe is.

Is it the French/Germans that are taking the spaces Dave? we noticed how many more French where there last year, on our 2 visits (May and September) Maybe more sites called for in Calpe? we spent 3 days in Oddessea last year, and even that was busy, not such a good position.

PJay

Guest pelmetman
PJay - 2015-03-16 8:56 AM

Just shows how popular Calpe is.

Is it the French/Germans that are taking the spaces Dave? we noticed how many more French where there last year, on our 2 visits (May and September) Maybe more sites called for in Calpe? we spent 3 days in Oddessea last year, and even that was busy, not such a good position.

PJay

Its been quite a nice mix ;-) .................There have been several French registered vans, most of which were owned by Brits :D ................

There is a new aire type site just a little further down the road from Odessa, and that's been packed all winter to...........seems booking is essential for the more popular sites in the winter months :-|............

Yes, Calpe is now very popular. We have been going for 16 years now either renting a villa or motorhoming. Last November everywhere was busy, Calpe mar packed, Odessa full, the new cheap one on the Merced road full with very big outfits.These folk have paid £70=£80k I guess and yet were quite happy to be on a cheap poor site cheek by jowl with their neighbours only inches away. There were a lot of vans on the side road adjacent in the spring but there was no sign as a new mobile mot station has opened up blocking the road. So whether they have been moved on or not I don`t know .As it is our favourite resort we shall be renting next time as we do not consider it`s worth the time and expense to live like that. They have started building again, so I would not hold your breath for a new site, even if 3x new ones were opened I would think that they could fill them. It`s a nice spot, that's why it`s popular, even the Spanish like it !

Alan.

Is there any way you can find out when they start taking bookings for winter 2016/2017 Dave? They don't want to tell me.

Terry

Guest pelmetman
terryW - 2015-03-16 4:41 PM

Is there any way you can find out when they start taking bookings for winter 2016/2017 Dave? They don't want to tell me.

Terry

I asked, and they said there's a waiting list for the big pitches :-| ...............

The regulars get first refusal, then it goes to who ever's top of the waiting list.........

They still have small pitches available at the moment ;-)..........

pelmetman - 2015-03-17 1:29 PM

I asked, and they said there's a waiting list for the big pitches :-| ...............

The regulars get first refusal, then it goes to who ever's top of the waiting list.........

They still have small pitches available at the moment ;-)..........

Many thanks for asking. We have settled for Kiko next year just managing to book one of the last two large pitches available. We will pop in on our way up the coast in May and maybe add our names to their waiting list.

Many thanks

Guest pelmetman

If you can fit on a standard pitch I doubt you'd have any problems in June

Its the winter months that get booked solid, here at Calpe there's been quite a bit of movement, even a couple of empty pitches, although reception still has a sign up saying completo ;-)......

Just to add, weekends maybe busier :-S ..........

sabino - 2015-03-19 10:40 AM

Calpe and Kiko sound interesting.

What is the chance of turning up for a pitch in mid June?

Thanks

We have had many a June at Kiko and I would be surprise if you did get a pitch without booking. Normally the only pitches in June are a couple of standard pitches (the smallest). Tthe one time I have arrived without a booking I had to take one of those and couldn't get a PV on the pitch except diagonally with my tail sticking out. Now I carry a plan of the site and a list of good pitches and phone a booking through. You can book any pitch for any duration at any time of year.

In short not very likely without booking.

We've been to Calpe , in May and June without ever booking, and that includes before they added the 20 = new pitches, (watched them being done) Have to say that last year it was much busier, as the French have now discovered Spain!! They do know us , so I suppose that helps

PJay

Archived