Campsite Reservation Fee,s

hellyro

Planning my first trip to France with MH First site in Normandy looked good So in going through booking process in Suncamp website they want £16-00 reservation fee probably Ok if booking for a week or more but only booking for 2 nights. Then went direct to campsite web site and made booking I received an email wanting 25% deposit. Thats Ok I thought but my bank wants £20 for bank transfer.Again I thought expensive. I have made money transfer via Paypal no charge but not sure whether site will accept. For peace of mind I do prefer to book in advance. Any suggestions to avoid extra charges for bokings

Guest Had Enough
hellyro - 2015-03-07 9:32 AM

Planning my first trip to France with MH First site in Normandy looked good So in going through booking process in Suncamp website they want £16-00 reservation fee probably Ok if booking for a week or more but only booking for 2 nights. Then went direct to campsite web site and made booking I received an email wanting 25% deposit. Thats Ok I thought but my bank wants £20 for bank transfer.Again I thought expensive. I have made money transfer via Paypal no charge but not sure whether site will accept. For peace of mind I do prefer to book in advance. Any suggestions to avoid extra charges for bokings

Most sites will take a credit card or debit card , even though you're not present and there's no need to pay huge bank charges. If a site insists on a deposit there's not much you can do about it if you really want to stay there.

However, I think you may be being over-cautious, unless of course you're going in the peak period. Any other time we have never found a site that's full and have never booked in advance.

Guest pelmetman

Never booked a site in France yet, never found one that's full either, but then again we never go to France when the French are let out to play :D ...........

As an aside £16 seems quite reasonable compared to a UK site our tugger friends are trying to book for July, they want the whole fee up front with the booking 8-) ...........but are offering a insurance in case we have to cancel.....a snip at 30 quid *-) ..............

Rip Off Britain springs to mind >:-) ...........

Cue HMV :D .......

Hi, just buy ACSI book and camp for 12,14,16,18 Euro per night. Usual exceptions are July and August but some French sites allow the ACSI discount in July. Never booked a site in France, always plenty of room. All the Aires France will give you a generous amount of backup places to stay if you could not find a site.

Just chill an go and enjoy.

Regards Mike

Like many other posters, we have never booked a campsite in France - and we've been to scores.

Mid-July to mid-August is the peak season and French holidays, when it will obviously be busier, but even then you'd be unlucky not to get somewhere decent. However, if your trip is during those 4-5 weeks and you want the comfort of a booking, then obviously it's your choice.

We usually go in early summer and then again in the middle of August for a few weeks. We have yet to be turned away from any site we've chosen.

ACSI is a good recommendation already made by other posters - usually the sites are of a decent standard.

Have a great first trip whatever you decide.

Mike

Never booked a site anywhere..as long as you are going outside mid July to end of August, no problems.

As suggested ACSI, also maybe get all the aires book, even if you prefer sites (as we do), the aires would be an emergency fall back, and plenty of them in FRance

Try www.vicariousbooks.co.uk ,.You will find helpful books to browse

PJay

pelmetman - 2015-03-07 10:0

As an aside £16 seems quite reasonable compared to a UK site our tugger friends are trying to book for July, they want the whole fee up front with the booking 8-) ...........but are offering a insurance in case we have to cancel.....a snip at 30 quid *-) ..............

Conversely, as Caravan Club members know, the CC Club does not charge any deposits or booking fees. The same is also true of some Certificated Sites/Locations.

It is possible to enjoy inexpensive sites in Britain - CC/CCC weekend meets and Temporary Holiday Sites are such examples, often with no need to book even at some attractive seaside towns in July and August. We know because we've done so.

Likewise there are some excellent value sites over the Channel but I know of some French sites that without the ACSI Camping Card are over 30 euros in low season, as much as 37 euros. Also I have been on some sites in Italy and the French Riviera where if we had wanted to be there in High Season the per night cost was in the region of 60 euros. Last year in April in Valkenburg (The Netherlands) we used the ACSI Card and the cost was 14 euros but tourist tax and local environmental tax took the cost to over 19 euros.

Some people who are ready to talk of "Rip Off Britain" often don't look at other aspects here and over

the Channel. A balanced view would say there is some good value to be had in most countries and also

some excessive prices in those same countries, including our own.

Guest pelmetman
mel wood - 2015-03-09 9:30 AM

pelmetman - 2015-03-07 10:0

Conversely, as Caravan Club members know, the CC Club does not charge any deposits or booking fees. The same is also true of some Certificated Sites/Locations.

It is possible to enjoy inexpensive sites in Britain - CC/CCC weekend meets and Temporary Holiday Sites are such examples, often with no need to book even at some attractive seaside towns in July and August. We know because we've done so.

Likewise there are some excellent value sites over the Channel but I know of some French sites that without the ACSI Camping Card are over 30 euros in low season, as much as 37 euros. Also I have been on some sites in Italy and the French Riviera where if we had wanted to be there in High Season the per night cost was in the region of 60 euros. Last year in April in Valkenburg (The Netherlands) we used the ACSI Card and the cost was 14 euros but tourist tax and local environmental tax took the cost to over 19 euros.

Some people who are ready to talk of "Rip Off Britain" often don't look at other aspects here and over

the Channel. A balanced view would say there is some good value to be had in most countries and also

some excessive prices in those same countries, including our own.

Interesting that you should raise the CC/CCC ;-) ........maybe a reasonable deposit might prevent sites being block booked months in advance just in case a member feels like turning up :-|.............

Are there any weekends left this year at the more popular CC/CCC sites that are within walking distance of a town?.............I'd have a look but I cant be bothered to plan my years touring months in advance, its much easier just to cross the channel......

Furthermore the supply and demand issue is being exacerbated in the UK, by the self interest of the leisure industry preventing aires from becoming a feature of our motorhome scene *-) ........

Pelmetman - you obviously are not aware that CCC does charge deposits -£25 or the full booking fee if it is less than £25.

Two or three weeks ago we had no problem booking our choice of type of pitch to include a weekend next month at Keswick.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Guest pelmetman
mel wood - 2015-03-09 10:04 AM

Pelmetman - you obviously are not aware that CCC does charge deposits -£25 or the full booking fee if it is less than £25.

Two or three weeks ago we had no problem booking our choice of type of pitch to include a weekend next month at Keswick.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

My mistake ;-) ...........I thought both clubs had the same booking system, my experience is only with the CC, maybe its because of the deposit system that you were able to book your preferred pitch, as no doubt that would deter the just in case I fancy a weekend away brigade :D .......

Archived