Is Spain as scruffy as this?

StuartO

We're enjoying some wintersun in the Canaries and our hotel is superb - and immaculately manicured inside and out. But outside the hotel grounds the overall impression is one of scruffiness. There are. A handful of Motorhomes on a little-used car park as you come off the motorway (about a mile from the waterside) and they look like they are a group of outcasts, parked where no one else wants to be. Not clear where they are getting water or getting rid of waste.

If that sort of rough living was the price of finding some where warmer during the British winter I think I'd rather be at home at the fireside. I suppose there are decent sites but Spanish wild camping Canaries-style certainly doesn't appeal. Am I missing something?

StuartO - 2015-03-07 11:26 AM

We're enjoying some wintersun in the Canaries and our hotel is superb - and immaculately manicured inside and out. But outside the hotel grounds the overall impression is one of scruffiness. There are. A handful of Motorhomes on a little-used car park as you come off the motorway (about a mile from the waterside) and they look like they are a group of outcasts, parked where no one else wants to be. Not clear where they are getting water or getting rid of waste.

If that sort of rough living was the price of finding some where warmer during the British winter I think I'd rather be at home at the fireside. I suppose there are decent sites but Spanish wild camping Canaries-style certainly doesn't appeal. Am I missing something?

Have you tried wild camping otherwise you cannot pass an opinion?

My first at wild camping in Spain. Council has bins in street adjacent to the area that is used as wild camping area and is well tidy. Waste water goes down sewage manhole all no different to being on a site. Fresh water obtained from local supermarket as are all food stuffs. Coffees at local bars and restaurants for meals. This is in an area where there are 1000s of apartment etc all lying empty and used for a few weeks in the year. Wild camping used sensibly is welcomed by the locals in the area I am in at the moment as it sustains businesses. Camp site just along the road but in an isolated area so not an attraction.

Will soon be in Benidorm and will be on a camp site with shorts and t-shirt and not missing the fireside one bit which is the reality

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2015-03-07 11:26 AM

Am I missing something?

What's the weather like?.......are you in shorts and T shirts?..............is it costing you a fraction of what a meal out in the UK would cost?...........

BTW Spain isn't as scruffy as it used to be ;-) ..............

I'm in Tenerife at the moment. Great hotel, fabulous food and all the amenities you could wish for yet I'm envious of the many motorhomes here wild camping in beach car parks and the aire I found at Los Christianos. It takes all sorts but to my mind the freedom of motorhoming beats fancy hotels every time. The problem I have is that my wife disagrees.

Anyone can pass an opinion without having to have done or been wherever it is, its an opinion simple as that, the posters opinion was by appearance which is probably how many view a site first time. Opinions come in varying degrees. A few years ago I passed through part of Nimes, my opinion was that no way would I wish to stay there. However others may have provided a different opinion of 'actually' being there. The same goes with the poster above.

Will

Guest peter

Most of the sites we have visited are pretty good, but venture out in the vicinity and there is crap everywhere. With unfinished or derelict houses and roadworks that have been abandoned due to the cash running out. Any bit of spare ground is a dumping place for rubbish.

We only come for the sun and cheap food and booze. Certainly not for the beautiful surroundings.

We are currently in Almafra site Benidorm which is very good. If you want sites, do your homework first, as a lot are miles from anywhere, Mahal Costa Blanca being a classic example. Great facilities but in a crap area, and windy as hell.

Mike88 - 2015-03-07 1:23 PM

I'm in Tenerife at the moment. Great hotel, fabulous food and all the amenities you could wish for yet I'm envious of the many motorhomes here wild camping in beach car parks and the aire I found at Los Christianos. It takes all sorts but to my mind the freedom of motorhoming beats fancy hotels every time. The problem I have is that my wife disagrees.

We've been around the Canary islands staying in decent apartments and hotels a fair bit over the years, and agree with you regarding the sense of envy seeing others wilding with their vans. Time was always the big issue for us when working, because the journey overland and ferry is lengthy (not to mention expensive). So quick and easy to fly and rent a car, but still have that feeling of missing out...

Mike

mikebeaches - 2015-03-07 5:20 PM

Mike88 - 2015-03-07 1:23 PM

We've been around the Canary islands staying in decent apartments and hotels a fair bit over the years, and agree with you regarding the sense of envy seeing others wilding with their vans. Time was always the big issue for us when working, because the journey overland and ferry is lengthy (not to mention expensive). So quick and easy to fly and rent a car, but still have that feeling of missing out...

Mike

I spoke to one motorhomer out there and he told that the ferry from Cadiz cost £700 for a 7.1 metre van for the 2.5 day journey. He reckoned the cabin would cost an extra £500 which for me would be the only option. Given that the Santander ferry costs around £800 the Canary Island trip is not that expensive given that when you arrive you will have no camping fees.

Apparently the winter has been poor this year - cold and plenty of golf ball size hailstorms but the weather has picked up in the last couple of weeks. Most of last week the temperatures hovered around 26 degrees.

At the moment all car parks in Teneriife are free and there are many on the beach. They are all busy and there are a lot of motorhomes so the authorities might clamp down as they have in parts of Spain. There are plenty of other less public places to stay though. For now it is a great place to motorhome resembling the kind of experiences those of us long timers had wild camping 20 years ago.

Will85 - 2015-03-07 2:16 PM

Anyone can pass an opinion without having to have done or been wherever it is, its an opinion simple as that, the posters opinion was by appearance which is probably how many view a site first time. Opinions come in varying degrees. A few years ago I passed through part of Nimes, my opinion was that no way would I wish to stay there. However others may have provided a different opinion of 'actually' being there. The same goes with the poster above.

Will

You said exactly what I was thinking

Motorhomers come in all shapes and sizes.

Each to their own, personally I think this is one of the best times in the UK, snowdrops out, daffodils just budding and long walks with the dogs in the sunshine. Wrapped up warm of course, just back now to toast some hot cross buns on the fire.

Guest Had Enough
sshortcircuit - 2015-03-08 5:45 PM

You are spot on it is an opinion only. However if you read OP heading " Is Spain as scruffy as this?" then he appears to have come to a conclusion without any experience and in other words his opinion is worthless.

But he didn't come to a conclusion, the clue is in the question mark at the end of the sentence. He asked if Spanish camping was as scruffy as in the Canary Islands. The islands are Spanish so he was clearly curious as to whether the mainland was the same.

He did say that if it is, it isn't for him, but the salient part is 'if it is'. He didn't say it was.

But to say that anyone's opinion is worthless because they haven't done something is very odd. People form opinions on facts as well as experience. My opinion is that smoking is very silly and unhealthy. I've never smoked, so does that make my opinion worthless?

Archived