HAIR DRYER AND HAIR STRAIGHTNERS

Frankieshome1

Hello I am new to Motorhoming, I pick it up next week. However the first question my wife has asked is will her hairdryer and hair straightners work in the van?

I am sure that I will have lots of questions to ask over the coming months, but it is great to see that I can go somewhere to ask when I am not sure

If you are a site with a hook u,p yes but depending on size of hair drier and output from hook up. If not on hook up you will need an inverter able to provide sufficient power for hair drier. You need to find out watts of hair drier and then work from there. Be aware also that using a inverter there is not an endless supply of power so hair drying needs to be done swiftly.

The answer is "maybe"!

Some hook-ups will provide enough power, some may not.

On an invertor, you may need to have a PSW (Pure Sine Wave) invertor for them to work. The invertor will need to have a large enough out put (maybe 2 Kilowatts or more) and you will need a decent, well charged battery to run that kind of load for more than a few minutes, AND have the means to recharge it.

Might be best to use a towel!

Dave

Funnily enough this was also the first question my wife asked when we started out last year and was adamant she wouldn't be motorhoming if she couldn't do her hair.

She bought some 12v hair straighteners (a Google search will find plenty) and gas cartridge tongs for use when not on hook-up. She has to forego the hair dryer but is happy that her hair can go without washing for a couple of days before we get on a site which we do often enough. Afraid I can't really help if you intend to stay off hook-up for long periods other than to support the previous suggestions.

Best of luck with keeping her happy!

Assuming your wife keeps her hair shortish while camping, after sitting in the sun (hopefully) for a while, 12V hairdryer and 12V tongs, both available from camping shops, should deal with her hair to her satisfaction.   I wouldn't recommend doing this too often off grid, but if you have a decent solar array this should be OK too.

Cant help with hair drying unless on hook-up but the straightening Id be looking at a gas straightener I use the gas tongs , its easier anyway without the cable wrapping around you , my hairdryer is a travel one so works fine I leave it in the van.

Archived