DOGS IN A MOTOR HOME

Frankieshome1

A lot of comment about this in previous threads.

It depends on how big the dog is, the configuration of your MH, and your own (or the dog's) preferences.

I used a rear transverse bunk with netting, but eventually they decided on their own comfy corner.

Not restrained I know, but it suits us.

Just find somewhere you can put his bed that is safe so it doesn't slide forward, if he is anything like our dogs he will settle down and sleep while your travelling, as others have said if he is liable to start moving around put a harness on him and anchor it somewhere ;-) he will soon get the message.

Just find somewhere you can put his bed that is safe so it doesn't slide forward, if he is anything like our dogs he will settle down and sleep while your travelling, as others have said if he is liable to start moving around put a harness on him and anchor it somewhere ;-) he will soon get the message.

I DO UNDERSTAND YOUR PROBLEMS, I USED TO HAVE A Japanese Akita who's favourite place when motoring was between the front seats. That was bad news, he kept on knocking the motor out of gear and this proved very dangerous and expensive. After our first trip I solved this problem with a child's stairs gate, you can buy them from such places as a baby care shop or on line. Just place the gate so its supported by the drivers and passengers seat so your big boy cant get up front. hope my story helps. B-)

Haggis - 2015-03-09 2:28 PM

I DO UNDERSTAND YOUR PROBLEMS, I USED TO HAVE A Japanese Akita who's favourite place when motoring was between the front seats. That was bad news, he kept on knocking the motor out of gear and this proved very dangerous and expensive. After our first trip I solved this problem with a child's stairs gate, you can buy them from such places as a baby care shop or on line. Just place the gate so its supported by the drivers and passengers seat so your big boy cant get up front. hope my story helps. B-)

Hi

You can buy a dog harness specifically to attach to seat belts. Now we have no seatbelt to attach it to so have a climbing loop ( about a metre plus) and attach to a strong point. She curls up in her bed with the harness on with no problems.

The purpose is to stop her flying if we are in an accident. It would hurt to be hit by a flying Labrador and if the accident was bad enough she could fly through the windscreen.

For me I think a seat belt for the dog is essential safety equipment for all concerned.

Peter

We regularly take our 2 Dalmatians with us, Dolly Dalmatian goes in the bathroom in her bed so she's nice and snug and Daisy goes in a second bed under the table behind the passenger seat. Hey just sleep throughout any journey. Even if there's a head on collision they are both at ground level and won't hit the seat backs. Of course they are strictly forbidden from walking about so they jump in, go to their own places and they absolutely love motorhoming! We just make sure they know he drill and both are content and peaceful whilst we're driving around.

My 2 Labradors are exactly the same, they have their individual spots at ground level, and go to them as soon as the the cab seats are rotated. They too sleep the journey away, and have to be woken for a 'Comfort stop'. If I had a 'Roamer' that wouldn't settle down, I would drill a Hole through the floor and put in a small chrome/SSteel eyebolt with a spreader plate underneath the van. And attach a stong climbing carabiner to a dog harness, Job done.

http://www.jakobstainlesssteel.co.uk/lifting-eye-bolts-59-c.asp

http://www.jakobstainlesssteel.co.uk/trigger-snap-155-c.asp

Ray

we use dog harnesses for our two and they just sit quietly, more often then not though they just fall asleep only waking when we pull over for a break , two dogs, flying through the air using either you or the windscreen for as a brake! is not a good idea

thebiker - 2015-03-12 8:25 PM

we use dog harnesses for our two and they just sit quietly, more often then not though they just fall asleep only waking when we pull over for a break , two dogs, flying through the air using either you or the windscreen for as a brake! is not a good idea

The op said he has no rear seatbelts though. what do you attach your harnesses to ? Ray

Archived