Ford transit motorhomes

Bampog

Hi to you This is exactly what what got me interested in the ford but at 2.92 meters high it is 6cm to tall for my garage Maybe more converters will come to market later. Thanks for your reply. Bernie

Hi and welcome to the forum. A serious question? Can you raise the roof of your garage?

Another alternative, consider a CASSOA storage site, that is what I had to do. Expensive at £650 per year but compared with the cost of the new Motorhome is is only about 1 1/2 to 1% and if you take depreciation into account then storage in reality is insignificant.

YES I do get a bit miffed when I have to pay my annual dues, but there are some positives.

1) the van is monitored by CCTV and a card controlled barrier system.

2) insurance companies give a discount compared to having the van stored at home.

3) it is not obvious when you are away, as the great big white vehicle will no be missing. I am aware that you want to put your Motorhome in your garage, but some of the above may be useful to others without that facility and only having a drive. It is also useful especially if you go away to Europe for a few weeks or longer.

Good luck with your search - hope it will not be too long before you join us.

Regards Mike

Guest Had Enough
Bampog - 2015-03-07 8:17 PM

Hi. This is my first time on any internet forum. I am looking for a motorhome on the new transit has anybody got any advice Thanks. Bernie

Two points and apologies if you've already considered them and there's some over-riding reason why you must have a Transit.

Point one - In my opinion the base vehicle comes a poor second to other features such as layout, payload and price. I'm on my third motorhome, each one on a different vehicle and, when choosing a new one, the make of motor was irrelevant. They're all pretty good.

Point two - Think carefully about the height and your garage. Many people add things to the roof such as a solar panel or a satellite dish or dome. You'll be peeved if you buy a MH that just goes in your garage and then decide that you really want to add something to the roof.

Guest Had Enough

Double post.

Dodgy laptop mouse that I must get around to replacing! It double-clicks with one push!

Bampog - 2015-03-08 8:10 AM

Hi to you This is exactly what what got me interested in the ford but at 2.92 meters high it is 6cm to tall for my garage Maybe more converters will come to market later. Thanks for your reply. Bernie

As far as I’m aware there are only three motorhome manufacturers currently marketing in the UK ‘coachbuilt’ models based on the latest Mk 8 Transit. These are Benimar, Chausson and Roller Team. There’s no indication that other converters will decide to produce Transit-based coachbuilt motorhomes in future.

Devon and Murvi offer panel-van conversions on the latest Transit.

Guest pelmetman
Bampog - 2015-03-08 8:10 AM

Can you not raise the roof of your garage?...........having a garage has saved me a fortune in motorhomes over the years B-) .............

the general - 2015-03-09 5:13 PM

Don't forget IH pvc as well as murvi, Devon !

Has IH Motorhomes actually decided to market a Transit Mk 8-based model?

I’m aware that a ‘prototype' has been exhibited at NEC Shows. However, as there’s no sign on the IHM website that a Transit-based PVC will be included in their 2015 range, I chose not to mention it.

Correct, I got the impression from the sales team ( the pvc was there last year) it all depends how much response / inquires they get to see if it goes into production?? Of course well house / Roy's transits I think are doing the high top as well. In fact well house are teaming up with ford dealerships to push it forward, but when I inquired at my local hendy ford the salesman was a bit vague to say the least . Do main car/ commercial dealerships and motorhomes mix??

Why are you set on limiting yourself to a Transit based motorhome?

I have owned both Ford as well as Fiat and Peugeot based motorhomes.

All those vehicles have advantages as well as disadvantages despite the strong and vociferous Ford lobby in the UK.

Ford Transits are supposed to be more reliable than Ducato ones but that is NOT borne out by the facts.

For some reason the UK motorhome press has failed to point out the fact that Ford Transits with 2.2 litre engines have the unfortunate record of catastrophic engine failure after very low mileage.

This has been well published in the European press, just read the ADAC magazine for the facts.

I know that most UK inhabitants mistakenly believe that Ford Transits are UK built but that has not been the case since 2013, they are now built in Turkey!

My last Ford Transit motorhome was built in Turkey!

By the way, as I said before, the Ford Transit is not a bad vehicle but in my experience the latest Ducatos are just as good.

I therefore suggest you look for the right layout first as well as the height to suit your specific needs.

NB My latest motorhome is based on a Renault Master, I am happy so far and my family also has a VW Crafter van. Both vehicles are equally good for the intended purpose.

Guest pelmetman
Brabander - 2015-03-11 8:35 PM

Ford Transits are supposed to be more reliable than Ducato ones but that is NOT borne out by the facts.

For some reason the UK motorhome press has failed to point out the fact that Ford Transits with 2.2 litre engines have the unfortunate record of catastrophic engine failure after very low mileage.

This has been well published in the European press, just read the ADAC magazine for the facts.

Isn't that the same engine Mr Ford has sold Mr Fiat? ;-) ...............

Quite correct.

The only difference that most motorhome manufacturers use the 2.3 or 3 litre litre Iveco engines on the Ducato based motorhomes.

In contrast the Ford Transit based motorhomes invariably use the Ford 2.2 litre engine.

Apparently the Ford engine problems are partly caused by infrequent use (winter layups?) followed by heavy loads. This is typical for motorhomes which are usually run close to the weight limit.

Although typical motorhome drivers are not speed merchants (unlike many van drivers) running a Transit close to its maximum carrying capacity (with considerable added wind resistance), after a long period of idleness, is not particularly good for those engines resulting in engine blow outs (pistons disintegrating).

This is happening with 3-5 year old low mileage motorhomes.

As I said before, I had a Ford Transit built motorhome, I experienced no problems except for a VERY smelly clutch when reversing on hilly sites.

If I were to buy another motorhome I would purchase on the basis of layout and equipment not on whether it was a Transit, Ducato etc.

In terms of layout the principal advantage of the Ducato is that the cab is slightly wider ie slightly more room between the two front seats. I believe the latest Transit cab is slightly wider, perhaps the seats are now further apart.

Very good info , as most people know Diesel engines need to be used not sat idle forweeks on end that's why I am going for a murvi PVC on a ford ( I have always had transits and find it hard to change as I have had trouble free touch wood use ) as I tend to travell a lot of miles and I want to be confident in the base vehicle . So instead of stealth camping in back of my transit I can have a bit of luxury ! Trouble is like at Whitby, and many other places I can park ok overnite on cliff topS ETC no prob but how with a PVC limits parking up .

Guest pelmetman
the general - 2015-03-13 11:39 AM

Very good info , as most people know Diesel engines need to be used not sat idle forweeks on end that's why I am going for a murvi PVC on a ford ( I have always had transits and find it hard to change as I have had trouble free touch wood use ) as I tend to travell a lot of miles and I want to be confident in the base vehicle . So instead of stealth camping in back of my transit I can have a bit of luxury ! Trouble is like at Whitby, and many other places I can park ok overnite on cliff topS ETC no prob but how with a PVC limits parking up .

Perhaps you need to have both campers ;-) .........the PVC for Europe and the Stealth camper for the UK :D......

Archived