new imala 615 advice please

birdvan

Very pleased to have a brand new (25miles) Auto Trail Imala 615 Fiat based motorhome.

Any tips to protect/prepare it for future adventures?

Very new as it has not been standing around even underneath is very clean!

Thinking of underseal paint but looks complicated under there, would just polish help there?.

But info on all aspects welcome.

All best for your 2015 adventures Birdvan Roy

There has been a good deal of earlier forum discussion about protecting a motorhome’s underside. This is a recent example

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Wax-Oiled-our-Auto-Sleeper/37345/

I can’t see polish doing any good protection-wise, and you definitely want to avoid a covering (eg. traditional ‘underseal’) that could trap moisture beneath it.

“Waxoyl”- or “Dinitrol”-branded products are probably the most commonly used for rustproofing. But DIY applying them effectively on a motorhome’s underside will be no fun and the task is best done professionally in my view. You might want to discuss the various options with these people

http://www.pristine-autos.co.uk/motorhome-rustproofing-camper-rustproofing/

birdvan - 2015-03-08 9:29 AM

Very pleased to have a brand new (25miles) Auto Trail Imala 615 Fiat based motorhome.

Any tips to protect/prepare it for future adventures?

Very new as it has not been standing around even underneath is very clean!

Thinking of underseal paint but looks complicated under there, would just polish help there?.

But info on all aspects welcome.

All best for your 2015 adventures Birdvan Roy

Enjoy you new Imala and may you have many happy trips in it..

Our new AT Savannah is clean too as it was only finished in the factory on 18 Feb (we collected ours on 04.03.15.

All coachbuilt AT's have a galvanised chassis and the floor is of a sandwich construction with the outer facing being a hard PVC finish. I would leave well alone and see no reason to put any further treatment on the underside. The comments of trapping moisture if you do put another finish on it are I think very valid.

Alan

I wasn't aware that the standard Fiat chassis was galvanised. I'm surprised because the 2 that I've had have both started to show surface corrosion at the pressed seams and inside the box members. Also why bother painting a galavanised chassis? Are you sure of your facts?

Steve928 - 2015-03-08 8:14 PM

I wasn't aware that the standard Fiat chassis was galvanised. I'm surprised because the 2 that I've had have both started to show surface corrosion at the pressed seams and inside the box members. A lso why bother painting a galavanised chassis? Are you sure of your facts?

My 2013 AT certainly looked galvanised when I was under it and the new one looks the same although I haven't laid under it yet- perhaps it is galvafroid paint ! My previous one didn't show any sign of rusting, not even on the cut ends.

Alan

Hi! I too have a new Imala 615 purchased week before Christmas - covered about 180 miles as I live in SW Scotland and bought in Lancashire. I have just been underneath mine and the chassis appears to be galvanised so no need to worry. However, I would advise you to be aware that the rear centre bumper panel (it holds the number plate) is very flimsy where the two screws fasten it to the body. Mine has already been damaged and one of the screw holes has dis-intigrated - needed removal and repaired with fibre glass. A replacement is the best part of £300!!! and a 25 day order period - not good as I do not know what exactly happened to it. So beware? and I hope that you do enjoy the 'van.

Auto-Trail coachbuilt motorhomes built on an Al-Ko chassis (which I’m 99%-sure the Imala range is not) will have the frame-components making up that chassis hot-dip galvanised.

If the motorhome has a Fiat chassis (standard or ‘camper’ type) that chassis will not have been hot-dip galvanised, though it will of course have been given a coating to inhibit corrosion.

Your 2012 Scout sits on an Alko chassis, Sydney, which as Derek mentions will have been hot-dip galvanised (the chassis members but not the axle plates and axle itself).

The Imalas are on the standard Fiat chassis. The protective coating that Derek mention is in this case also known as 'paint' :-D

Perhaps people are peeking under the rear end and looking at the chassis extensions rather than the chassis itself?

Steve928 - 2015-03-08 8:14 PM

I wasn't aware that the standard Fiat chassis was galvanised. I'm surprised because the 2 that I've had have both started to show surface corrosion at the pressed seams and inside the box members. Also why bother painting a galavanised chassis? Are you sure of your facts?

Chassis Extension most definately is Galvanised. 2012 Autotrail Savannah. On Heavy duty Fiat Camper Chassis. This is the rear chassis from the rear wheels , under the front of the habitation area and under the cab, it's just painted. And yes,I have been right under it,several times,front to back.

I used a 3 or 4 cans of this :

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+%26+Sprays/sd2795/White+Grease/p10203

To spray onto/into all Bolts/fixings/moving parts/springs/tank straps and front part of the chassis , indeed anything that wasn't galvanised. 3 years later, it's still there, stopping corosion. Cheap but it works. Ray

• 1 year later...

Archived