Dogs and visiting Italy, Slovenia and Austria

bobmbell

Anyone any experience of visiting these countries with two dogs (both Border Collies so not in the banned section) have heard that these countries require all dogs in open spaces to be muzzled? and kept on a leash. Never had either dog muzzled so do not want to start now (one is 12 yrs old). Any advice appreciated.

We took our Collie Doberman cross to Austria last summer. Bought a muzzle (which he hated) and didn't use it apart from when visiting the vet. We took him up on the cable car, walks and generally out and about without it with no problems or comments whatsoever.

Our dog is a nightmare on a lead as we live in a fairly rural location so seldom the need. We found plenty of places to run him but we were in the Tyrol.

Even on the way down and back through France, Belgium and Germany we didn't have any real problem

I know this isn't a dog forum, but I live right out in the country, and have two big dogs. (45K each)

They walk quietly on the lead after extensive training, mainly for me, and return when called.

In the motorhome I need to know the dogs are under control at all times, and when abroad that they are only off the lead in a situation where they can't chase rabbits, etc..

A bit anal I know, but finding a lost dog when in a foreign country is somewhere I don't want to be.

bobmbell - 2015-03-08 9:18 PM

Anyone any experience of visiting these countries with two dogs (both Border Collies so not in the banned section) have heard that these countries require all dogs in open spaces to be muzzled? and kept on a leash. Never had either dog muzzled so do not want to start now (one is 12 yrs old). Any advice appreciated.

Hi

You certainly need a muzzle in Italy. Our old lab has never been muzzled but when we travelled round Italy we purchased a soft material muzzle "just in case".

First the muzzle, it's soft, goes over nose but she can still eat tfeats etc. She wasn't keen but we only had to use a few times and she soon became accustomed to it with the help of said treats.

Now to experience: our experience was that the further south you go the more twitchy people are. About unmuzzled dogs or dogs off the lead. Certainly we were walking from one site and saw another couple with a largish dog get a real mouthful from some locals who were threatening to call the police. We used to take the muzzle with us and just use when lots of people around. When we went back in 2010 there had been incidents in the south of people attacked by dogs so profile was high.

Different experience in the north, especially in the Dolomites where the locals just made a fuss of her (we still carried muzzle just in case.

Turning to Austria and Slovenia, never had to use muzzle. Now we have one we carry it around, it can easily be slipped on if required but never had to and no complaints from locals.

Our dog has been to all three countries several times with no problems so don't be put off.

The worst place for the dog was outside Pompey as very little grass.

Re keeping on the lead. We used to let her off but had a scare when sking in the french Alps. I used to walk her early morning before leaving her in the van. One morning we both heard a marmot and she just took off up the mountain. I saw a small black dot running across a snow field at one point. 30 minutes later she came back looking very pleased with herself but for me, never again. When abroad I tend to keep on an extending lead unless she is swimming in the lakes or sea. Her tag on the lead has my mobile number so I like to think we would get her back but it's not worth the risk.

Enjoy your trip.

Peter

Archived