Leisure batteries

Don Madge

Just spent an hour checking my two Elecsol 100 ah leisure batteries. They had not been checked for about four months and all the cells needed topping up. They are constantly being charged by my roof mounted 60 watt solar panel. As the batteries are situated under the front seats it means moving both seats to do the job. I wish the engine battery was as easy to check, there's a small window in it but I can't get close enough to see what colour is showing. This still does not tell you if the cells need topping up. I don't know what the answer is. I just hope the engine battery does not pack up while we are off on one of our travels. Don

Hi Don- I suppose you have tried the small mirror and torch technique, and also if you could rig yourself up with a flexable cardboard strips and place one in the cell and feel it down into the cell till it touches the top of the lead plate, when withdrawn it should indicate the amount of electrolite coverage, do this with a new piece of cardboard for each cell. The designers of these engine bays ought to be made to check battery levels all day, and perhaps it might dawn on them to think of better positioning. Good Luck .Chas

[QUOTE]chas - 2006-10-09 4:19 PM Hi Don- I suppose you have tried the small mirror and torch technique, and also if you could rig yourself up with a flexable cardboard strips and place one in the cell and feel it down into the cell till it touches the top of the lead plate, when withdrawn it should indicate the amount of electrolite coverage, do this with a new piece of cardboard for each cell. The designers of these engine bays ought to be made to check battery levels all day, and perhaps it might dawn on them to think of better positioning. Good Luck .Chas[/QUOTE] Chas I'd forgotten about using the mirror ( I must be getting past it) I've got a green light so the battery has got a good charge, I already knew this from the battery condition display in the van. I've tried to remove the one piece cover to check the cells but there's so much "Gubbins" (I think that's the word that describes it) on top of the battery I can't get at it. Don

Don, If your batteries are consuming de-ionised water at a rate you need to check that the regulator for the solar panel is working correctly. I trust you do have a regulator? I suggest that you do two checks using a digital volt meter. After a run while parked in the sun measure tha battery terminal voltage of the leisure battery. See what the solar panel does. With the engine running measure tha battery terminal voltage of the starter battery. See what the alternator does. If either remain over 14.2 volts for any period of time then you will be on the verge of "gassing" which means you will be using water. Official gassing voltage is 14.4 but at this voltage its well gassing normally. That is unless you have a sterling charger when you must expect to use more water. At least you have wet cell batteries. If you had gel batteries then its not advisable to take them to a gassing voltage as you cannot replace the water. Volt meter OK

Don and Clive, I suspect the villain in this piece is the Elecsol batteries. I replaced a leisure battery in the engine compartment of my last m'home with an Elecsol but kept two cheapies of the same capacity as extra leisure batteries. All three leisure batteries maintained charge from the solar panels beautifully, as did the engine battery through a simple fused wire from the engine compartment leisure battery. However, the Elecsol was continually needing topping up - it was a real pain - where the other two leisure batteries and the engine battery were fine - needing no topup throughout the years I had them. I really see no advantage in spending over twice as much on these supposedly superior batteries which aren't (superior that it)!

Don and Mel.E. My limited understanding is that Elecsol are batteries that use carbon fibre to strengthen the plates. because of this they are supposed to be able to tolerate deep discharge better than ordinary starter of leisure batteries. Why they should gas more than a normal battery as they are all lead acid technology I do not understand. But if you want a good battery for deep cycling then chose a traction duty battery. Like those used to power golf carts are about the right size for motorhomes. But it comes at a cost. Economically its probably cheaper to use "off the peg" reasonable quality starter batteries that are made in huge quantities and change them regularly. I am lucky insomuch I have a clutch of gel deep cycle standby batteries that were bequethed to me. 48 volts worth, 160 ampere hour in 6 volt units. As I don,t bother trying to get the very maximum into them with devices like the Sterling they do just fine. They must be 10 years old now and a discharge test last year proved over 150 ampere hours was still achieveable. I shall watch this one with interest. C.

Clive, I thought you had learnt by now that it's no good getting technical with me, I have not got a clue what you are on about some times. I'm talking about my experiences, not what will/could happen if you buy this, that or the other. I've been using Elecsol batteries on and off for about 8 years, never had a problem, like our motorhomes they get used, they don't sit around like garden ornaments for months at a time. These weekend wonders who do about 3000 miles a year and then complain, the battery's no good, the motorhome does not function properly, if they were used a bit more often they might work properly. Mel, I've only used Elecsols as leisure batteries, I've never had to replace one yet. I look after them, I don't consider it a pain to check a battery about once a month. Robin, Can't open your link to the canal boat forum. I'll stick with my Elecsols, they have served me well in the past and I can't see any point in changing them because some narrow boat forum thinks there overpriced and unreliable. :-D :-D Regards Don

Clive, I don't know why Elecsol battery gassed like mad when the cheapy lead acid batteries coupled in parallel with it didn't. But it's not just me - it's a comment I've come across several times. I didn't see Elecsol at any of the shows this year; they used to attend them all. Does that tell you something?

[QUOTE]Mel E - 2006-10-10 6:04 PM Clive, I don't know why Elecsol battery gassed like mad when the cheapy lead acid batteries coupled in parallel with it didn't. But it's not just me - it's a comment I've come across several times. I didn't see Elecsol at any of the shows this year; they used to attend them all. Does that tell you something?[/QUOTE] Yes Mel, It tells you they can't transport enough batteries by road to the show to cover the high cost of a stand. Don

I replaced a cheapo Halfords batery with a Elecsol one for leisure batery on my T25, what a waste of money, It performs hardly any better than the old batery and requires topping up at least twice a year, wish I had used biggest standard one that would fit.

[QUOTE]Don Madge - 2006-10-10 3:59 PM Clive, I thought you had learnt by now that it's no good getting technical with me, I have not got a clue what you are on about some times.

Same here Don . All I want is a good reliable batterie that will power my van when we go "wild".

Archived