CASSOA storage sites Changes ?? MMM could do a feature

HymerVan

I recently went through the process of getting quotes to reinsure my van. In the process I discovered that the site where my van is stored is no longer a CASSOA site (It was formerly a "Gold" site).

As a consequence the insurance quote I accepted was about £25 more than it would have been (although still the best overall quote).

Apparently there have been changes at CASSOA perhaps in the ownership,business practice or whatever which have persuaded some members that it is no longer for them. Some insurers seem to be unconcerned by the change but some not.

I mentioned on the CC forum, that I would like to see a list of storage sites, but to no avail.

Aside of Cassoa the rest are hard to find, many cl's do them, such as where we store our van, but there seems to be no central register. :-D

Our storage site was CASSOA silver and recently decided not to renew their membership due to increasing costs.

We insure with Comfort and after showing them google aerial pictures and a few photographs with a description of the security measured there was no increase in the premium irrespective of the status.

For there to be a central register, there has to be an organisation. As all the CaSSOA site owners are independents, and have together formed CaSSOA, when they drop out there is no other (AFAIK) organisation for them to join. So, as they aren't subscribing to a specified security standard, and have no common representation, there canot be a members' register on which they could appear. The only "central" register is CaSSOA. Other than them, you take pot luck in finding one, and accept whatever security standard they choose, from time to time, to apply. What you seem to be seeking, IMO, is therefore a bit of a logical impossibility.

When I posted the OP I genuinely wondered if MMM would like to do a feature on storage sites generally and including comment on CASSOA and related insurance discounts. The site which I spoke to gave me some insight into their reasons for withdrawing but I respect their confidentiality.

I now note that the Corporate Members of CASSOA include MMM, the C&C Club and Comfort Insurance so if there have been changes in the ethos or whatever of CASSOA then likely these organisations already know about it. As already mentioned I can live with the £25 or so increase on my renewal but for some high value/high premium users the increased cost might be significant.

Guest Had Enough

Like Sydney1 above I had a very positive experience with Comfort, which proved to me that it isn't just a 'tick the boxes' insurer as many are.

When I bought my latest 'van they offered the best package but when I told them I stored it in my own company's warehouse they weren't for giving me the same discount as for a CASSOA site.

My warehouse is like Fort Knox, with anti ram-raid barriers in front and behind the big roller shutter door through with the vans pass. It has a monitored alarm and sensors that pick up a mouse sighing and security cameras outside and inside.

I emailed photos and a description of the level of security and Comfort agreed without argument that it was as secure any CASSOA site and gave me the same terms.

I like a firm that you can actually have a sensible dialogue with.

In fairness to Comfort I should say that I am insured with them and have been since 2012.

Although I have not had a claim or a breakdown I have found their service to be first class and less impersonal than some.

I did discuss the status of the site with them and they they gave a small discount which I accepted (about 4%) to reflect the actual security so part way towards what it would have been with CASSOA membership . They also provided the best overall package and a very competitive premium.

Archived